“A very nice hotel experience.”
Review of Inn at Middletown

Inn at Middletown
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Middletown
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 2, 2010

Hotel was very comfortable, staff was very helpful and cordial.. not stuffy.
The Tavern restaurant has very good food, a nice menu and not pretentious.
A place where it was easy to feel well taken care of.
I would recommend this great place to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
InnatMiddletown, General Manager at Inn at Middletown, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2015

Thank you for staying with us. The Tavern is a perfect place for a simple lunch or a very special occasion and I am glad we met your needs.

There are newer reviews for Inn at Middletown

Reviewed March 14, 2010

This is a truely hidden gem. If you need a place to hold small weddings (50 to 70 people) there is no place better. The staff is outstanding and the Inn is absolutely elegant. Many of the people at our wedding stated they would come back for a weekend getaway, even though some of them live less than 30 minutes away. The food was outstanding (great chef) and the rooms were great!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family

Thank you for having your wedding with us. We try and make the entire weekend a memorable one for you and your guests as we know how important it is to have those happy memories.

Reviewed October 16, 2009

For a business meeting at Wesleyan, this is the only choice in town. Thankfully, it is just fine for a night or two with business at the University (it is within walking distance, but I assume if in Middletown one would have a car).

The hotel is relatively new, but made use of two of Middletown's more historic buildings in its construction so it has a classic feel. The entryway and lobby area is very charming. The upper floors and rooms are typical of a Courtyard or Hilton Garden Inn.

I do have a few complaints. 1st, the inner handle on the toilet (inside the tank) broke the first time I attempted to flush it. I called maintenance, they sent somebody from housekeeping to take a look. He indicated that they have the piece and their maintenance would fix it shortly. Well, needless to say, I was sticking my hand in the tank to pull the cord each time I needed to flush, as it was not fixed.

Second, the hotel has no on-site parking. You either need to valet at $12 a night or park in a number of surface lots they will direct you to and walk a few blocks (I can imagine this being difficult in the middle of winter).

So all in all, if you need to spend a night in Middletown, it's a safe bet.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank FightOn

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am sorry about the issue with your toilet as some things cannot be predicted ahead of time. We do offer many parking options and our self parking is directly behind the hotel. Sorry that you experienced any inconvienience.

Reviewed October 14, 2009

This is where you stay if your kid is at Wesleyan, or checking out Wesleyan. It's a brief walk to campus. You can park your car (at a metered space on the street if you don't want to shell out for valet parking) and walk everywhere.The inn is perfectly comfortable. Very friendly, helpful staff. Our room was large and the beds comfy. A desk and good lamps for reading. One of those individual-cup coffee makers in the room. Bathroom was large with plenty of towels. Water temperature and pressure were excellent. THE ROOM WAS NOT QUIET! I asked about it at the front desk and was told that the hotel policy is that for the sake of security room doors need to shut automatically when guests leave the room, so all night the sound of doors slamming up and down the hallway woke me up repeatedly. As did people talking on the way to their rooms. It took earplugs AND the blankets pulled over my head with a pillow placed on top to enable me to sleep. The pool is tiny but very clean and the water temperature was great. Extra towels provided at poolside. The pool (in the basement) is way too small for a serious workout but great if you want to swim back and forth a bit and feel refreshed. I loved it. And it would be a big plus if traveling with kids. I didn't use the fitness center but it looked very small too -- just a few machines, again in the basement. The business center was a joke. One computer which refused to work. Took forever to get to the site I needed, and then froze. Very frustrating. They really need to fix this, as prior reviewers also complained about it. I have nothing but praise for the on-site restaurant. We got there five minutes after they were scheduled to stop serving breakfast, but they graciously invited us in and served us a terrific breakfast. I asked for a scrambled egg combo that wasn't even on the menu and the waiter was happy to take the order and the order came out perfectly. The berries I ordered with it were delicious too. I look forward to having breakfast here next time we stay at the Inn. We asked for a late check out and were able to leave at two instead of noon with no problem. The location of the inn couldn't be better -- it's a brief walk to campus and you're in the heart of town. I plan to stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family

Thank you for the comments about your stay. We have addressed the Internet issues as we have increased our speed to over 100MB. As a smaller property we are somewhat limited to space so our pool is one that families can enjoy but not for a major workout. Sorry about that. I am happy that you enjoyed the restaurant as it is a special place to eat on Main Street.

Reviewed September 18, 2009

We had only a short stay, but were pleasant surprised by the very friendly staff. Only smiling faces. Best hotel we had on our holiday.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple

We are so pleased that we made your holiday a very special one. Thank you for sharing your experience. Smiling faces can only make a stay a perfect one. Hope you agree.

Reviewed August 16, 2009

I recently had my wedding at the Inn at Middletown, and it was the most perfect day! The staff is very pleasant and helpful, the food is absolutely delicious, and the atmosphere couldn't have been more perfect. My husband and I worked with Maryanne, who is a catering manager at the Inn, and she was a wonderful help to us. Our day was like a fairy tale, and everyone had a wonderful time!

• Stayed: August 2009

We are so pleased that we made your fairy tail a reality and that your wedding weekend was a memorable one. I will share these comments with Mary Ann and the staff as they love to hear these comments

Reviewed July 15, 2009

Main Street in Middletown has undergone a bit of development since I started Wesleyan as a first year student in 1997, and the refurbishment of the former armory into the Inn at Middletown is a prime example of this trend. The Inn is the obvious choice if you are visiting Wesleyan as the University is a short walk away (I would suggest booking Commencement weekend the day your student receives an acceptance letter), but the Inn is also a great choice for hosting out of town guests for weddings held within the area. In hindsight I was lucky that the soulless Ramada I was planning to book for guests attending our 2004 wedding at St Clements Castle was undergoing construction because I then discovered and booked the Inn, which was down the street from the florist we used. The facade of the building is quaint, the rooms are clean, there is a fitness center, pool and jacuzzi, and there is a restaurant on site, as well as multiple ethnic options dotted along Main Street. I highly recommend Klekolo for coffee and It's Only Natural for vegetarian food and brunch. The only downside is the lack of free on-site parking; you need to find a metered spot or shell out for valet. I was provided with free valet in 2004 for blocking rooms for our wedding guests, but my friend who also used the hotel in June 2009 was informed that she did not block the minimum number of required rooms to qualify for comped valet. Overall, recommended if you find yourself in this neck of the woods.

Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple

By finding the Inn at Middletown I am pleased that we were able to make your wedding weekend a memorable one for you and your guests. We are a hidden gem to some and glad you found us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Middletown
Radisson Hotel Cromwell
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#4 of 4 in Cromwell
Madison Beach Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton

Been to Inn at Middletown? Share your experiences!