“Best bet in Middletown - Good but not great”
Review of Inn at Middletown

Inn at Middletown
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Middletown
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 30, 2006

We have stayed at the Inn at Middletown on about five occasions because we have a student at Wesleyan University in Middletown. If you are going to Middletown for Weslayn or any other reason, the Inn at Middletown is by far your best bet. It's right on Main St, within blocks of the Wesleyan campus. The other alternative hotels involve driving from neighboring towns.

If you have a student at Wesleyan, ask for the Inn's special rate for parents -- this rate is not listed on the hotel website, but it will save you about $20 compared to the listed rates. I discovered this rate "by accident" on my third or fourth visit when it was mentioned in an offhand way by the desk clerk.

The rooms are nice, but nothing spectacular. However, the rates are reasonable, so you get reasonable value for the money. We've typically paid about $150 per night. The Inn has a restaurant that serves OK food; again, not great, but more than adequate.

I recommend using the valet parking (extra charge) because most of the nearby parking is metered. Valet service was quick and efficient.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank dkmr
InnatMiddletown, General Manager at Inn at Middletown, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2015

Thank you for the comments about your stay. I am pleased that you have chosen us while in town visiting. I am sorry that you were not told about the special rate we offer parents. This should have been explained to you when you first started visiting us.

There are newer reviews for Inn at Middletown

Reviewed April 15, 2006

WOW! From the time we pulled up in front of this place the staff are superb. Friendly and professional and always offering assistance with every encounter. The place is spotless and looks brand new... They told me the hotel opened in 2003.
I highly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to CT.

• Stayed: April 2006
5  Thank v1234

Thank you for the glowing review about your stay at the Inn at Middletown. It is all about the staff and we have a great team here. Thank you for noticing them as they love the positive feedback.

Reviewed April 11, 2006

We were here for the night on day four of our college tour of the East Coast. The Inn is very close to Wesleyan (just walk out and you're there) and in the middle of the action of Middletown , if there was any action, which there isn't.

The Inn is very clean, the rooms are large (we had a double and a 1 bedroom suite), staff were pleasant (but still didn't get us the two queen bed room we initially asked for). Bathrooms are perfectly fine. There's no view to speak of as the hotel looks out on the main street of the town. The public areas are East Coast traditional, well lit and comfortable.

We drove up to the small semi-circular driveway and used Valet, which worked out well. The bell man was relatively prompt and was patient as we split up our bags between two rooms on two different floors.

We came in, had dinner down the street, went to bed and left in the morning. So for the brief time we spent here we were perfectly happy. I'd never come here for Middletown, but when college touring or visiting friends, this is a very easy choice to make.

• Stayed: April 2006
5  Thank magic739

Thank you for using the Inn when you were visiting the University. I hope that we were able to get you to relax after what can be a somewhat stressful time deciding on where to send a love one. Hope to see you for the next four years. Rah, Rah.

Reviewed September 11, 2005

I am a former resident of Killingworth CT, 15 minutes away from Middletown. When I heard about the armory being renovated I thought it was terrific - and I decided to hold our 10 year HS reunion there in June 2004. We also stayed the night there. Everything was absolutely wonderful. The room was large with sitting area and seperate bedroom area which was perfect for us to put together those last minute details. Our personal room was spotless and the room we held the reunion in was beautiful. It was clean, the service was great, the staff was friendly and the food we had at the reunion was terrific. They were also very accomodating to our budget needs. So many people wrote in to say they had such a great time.

I have also had breakfast and dinner here when visiting family - in fact will be having dinner again next week (Sept 22 2005)! The guardsman b-fast is delicious! Absolute splurge as far as fat and calories go but so worth it!

We are also using the inn for my sister's out of town wedding guests this coming weekend (9/05) and will be staying at the Inn in Dec 05 and using the banquet facilities again in Dec for a surprise b-day party. Liz Sullivan is a banquet manager there and she's fabulous! So personable and on top of things - always willing to help us out and take care of any little details.

As you can see we are all about the inn at middletown!! They are absolutely fantastic and we would reccomend them to anyone in a heartbeat. Honestly, there is no other place to stay in Middletown - my sister is a cop there and says the other hotels are mostly "rent by the hour" deals so beware! Just stay at the inn - your guaranteed a wonderful stay!

• Stayed: June 2004
8  Thank Trulyblessedmama

Thank you so much for using the Inn again and again and again. It really shows you what we are all about as we consistantly provide every guest and every special event with kit gloves. I would normally say I hope you return but in your case I think you will. Thanks again.

Reviewed August 17, 2005

We decided to spend a weekend at The Inn at Middletown, as recommended by our friends that celebrate their anniversary there each year. My husband and I do a lot of traveling and stay at many hotels....needless to say, we are very particular about our accommodations. The Inn at Middletown did not disappoint! Everything was wonderful. The food was delicious! The rooms were spacious and most importantly, VERY clean! And the staff was very accommodating. We had such a great time we decided to make reservations for another trip in the autumn.

• Stayed: July 2005
8  Thank TravelPro737

Happy Anniversary from all of us at the Inn at Middletown. So glad we were able to make it so memorable for the two of you that it is forcing you to come again next year.

Reviewed August 15, 2005

What a great hotel! Our room over looked the Connecticut River on the fifth floor. We were able to walk to some great restaurants in the downtown area, but don't overlook the hotel pub. The food was excellent and the service was perfect.
The hotel looks historic from the outside, but brand new on the inside. The rooms were so clean and comfortable.
I would highly recommend anyone going to Middletown to stay here.

• Stayed: August 2005
9  Thank b l

Thank you for the kind words. The Inn at Middletown offers the new england charm one expects but with the modern amenities we also expect these days. I am happy that the blend of the two exceeded your expectations.

A TripAdvisor Member
Atlanta
Reviewed August 14, 2005

I stayed at the Inn for my best friends wedding. The hotel had valet parking available and I was greeted at the door by a friendly employee who offered to help me with my luggage. The hotel was beautiful and quaint with a spiral stair case in the lobby. The people at the front desk were very knowledgeable with the area. I had a craving for Thai food and they suggested a restaurant in walking distance to the hotel. There was plenty to do in the area that was walking distance. Room was clean and the beds were comfortable. I had a couple of drinks in the bar which was very cozy and nice. Had breakfast in the restaurant and the food was delicious for a hotel restaurant? Prices were reasonable. Staff was nice and accommodating. Definitely would come back to this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2005
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Nice to see that you enjoyed not only the hotel but everything Main Street has to offer in it's restaurants and entertainment. The hotel has been quite a nice addition to the downtown area.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Middletown
Radisson Hotel Cromwell
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#4 of 4 in Cromwell
Madison Beach Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton

Been to Inn at Middletown? Share your experiences!