“Better”

Cuisines: Asian
Kensington, CT
“Better”
Reviewed April 16, 2012

We had lunch on this Monday afternoon and at 12:30PM there was only one other table occupied by a single diner. I showed my gift certificate to the owner on entering and he informed us that we must spend at least the face value - it would have been nice if someone told us last time (see prior review). We ordered off the luncheon specials which include a choice of soup; each choosing the very good and spicy hot and sour. My selected the Pad Thai w/Cantonese noodles and chicken which she thoroughly enjoyed. I ordered the mixed vegetables with baby shrimp and brown rice; another winner. One negative was the ice tea my wife ordered was out a can.

• Visited April 2012

Middletown, Connecticut
“We both really enjoyed our food!”
Reviewed March 21, 2012

After a long day my fiance and I wanted something yummy. I had been here with my Mom for lunch and we had both enjoyed that so this was posed as a suggestion.

We started with their spiciest dumplings which were served in a peanut sauce and a spicy oil; SO good!! I then had the sweet and sour soup. Spicy and flavorful. We ordered different entrees so we would get to pick from each others plate. I ordered the chicken with a "new" spicy curry sauce and she ordered her chicken with a mango sauce. While mine was very tasty and satisfying, I will have to give the nod to the mango sauce. Although void of any spice it was a different, yummy flavor. All of this in a quiet place with soothing music. The surroundings are very plain but I think it adds to the charm. And the price? All of this came to about $28. I think it is very reasonable for the fresh, quality food.

• Visited March 2012
Middletown, Connecticut
“Supporting the local scene”
Reviewed March 12, 2012

We enjoy trying out new restaurants in our downtown Main St. and we felt Anoho is a welcome addition worth checking out, if not only once. We were hesitant based on earlier reviews from various sites but maybe they have since turned things around. Service for dinner was quick and friendly. Food was definitely not bland if not borderline salty. We had the Shanghai wonton soup, "noodle it" lo mein with beijing sauce, and chicken with mango sauce. So many possible combinations! I can see it being popular with the lunch crowd, just maybe not as takeout in regards to convenience/price, but hey, you're paying for a nicer dining experience than Chinese takeout boxes while watching tv reruns.

• Visited March 2012
Kensington, CT
“Food and management disappoint”
Reviewed February 2, 2012

We arrived on a Tuesday at around 11:45AM and were the first patrons though 4-5 tables were occupied by the time we exited. My wife and I each ordered a lunch special that included a choice of soup (miso, hot & sour or wonton), rice (white, brown or vegetable fried) and an entrée. We each chose the miso soup which neither of us enjoyed though I have never reference point to compare to. For an entrée my wife selected off the “Noodle It” section of the menu choosing Tokyo bbq with pork with rice noodles. The dish was tasty but there was very little pork or vegetables.

I chose the yellow curry sauce which is a new menu item with chicken. It was sautéed with pineapple, green pepper, tomato, onion and baby corn and accompanied by brown rice. It was listed as being spicy, but was actually pretty mild. There was good amount of vegetables and chicken.

Service throughout was very good. I had a $20 gift certificate purchased from SaveNowCt which I tendered against a bill of $19.57. Our waitress returned the gift certificate would not be accepted because we failed to spend the face value. There is no minimum spending requirement on the certificate and 2 other restaurants in similar situations chose to accept certificates while pocketing the difference. For a relatively new restaurant struggling to attract new customers, I feel the owner’s policy is ill conceived.

Overall, our meal was below average.

• Visited February 2012
Hartford, Connecticut
“Good food for noodle lovers”
Reviewed January 14, 2012

Recently visited anoho noodle house and their menu has expanded! Their wonton soup is one of the best I've had - the broth is so flavorful and the wontons are good. The noodles are very good - not greasy, has plenty of meat and vegetables. It is also very reasonably priced, esp. for lunch. This is definitely a go-to place for us.

• Visited January 2012