“Good food - Service needs improvement”
Review of Luce

Ranked #4 of 161 Restaurants in Middletown
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed June 6, 2014

Had dinner last night to celebrate my friend's birthday. I had the pan seared diver scallops and they were tender and cooked perfectly. They were served with mushroom risotto, which was also very good. My friend had the Luce combo, which is a veal, shrimp dish, and she said it was very good. I also ordered a side of sautéed garlic spinach... NOT GOOD. The garlic was burned giving the entire dish a terrible taste. I advised our waiter what the problem was, and he apologized. When we got the bill, the spinach was charged to us, regardless that I had advised the waiter of the poor quality. At that point I signed the charge anyway as the spinach was $5.50, but as I handed the signed bill back to the waiter I said, "you should have removed the spinach", and he replied, "I could do that." I was going to the rest room so I just walked away. He said to my friend that he could remove the charge at which she replied, "it's already signed." The waiter also told my friend that he spoke to the chef and the chef said "he would be more careful." Really? All in all, except for the spinach, the meal was good, the server was so-so as far as attentiveness, tended to disappear. My problem with him was that I, the customer, should not have had to say that the charge should have been removed. He knew there was a problem and should have taken care of it. He needs to watch Restaurant Stakeout. If the meal had been as bad as the side I would have insisted the charge be removed because the prices are not cheap.

1  Thank donnad06419

Reviewed May 29, 2014

I have been to Luce on a few occasions and have found the food to be very good. Last night, however, was lacking consistency. While the service was excellent, as usual, some of the food was not as high quality as I would have expected. My dining companion and I shared an appetizer crab cake. It was OK, but a bit heavy on breading. The Caesar salad was also mediocre and a bit heavily dressed. My friend had lobster ravioli, which tasted good, but contained numerous small pieces of shells. I had spinach gnocchi, which was a disappointing plateful of heavy globs. While flavorful, it was very dense and chewy - not the fluffy pillows I was expecting. The creme brulee for dessert was excellent.

1  Thank Nancy S
Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

Wonderful restaurant and bar location. Great place for business events also I'm large private dining area. From host to waitress to owner, these people know customer service. I've eaten there many times and always get excellent meal. At lunch try the blackened chicken panini. At dinner, the specials are always outstanding. Just love the regular menu as well. Nice wine selection and drinks are great. Try the sangria. Luce never disappoints! Great chef!!!

Reviewed May 1, 2014

Salad was delicious. Veal was tough and dry. We chose this Italian restaurant specifically to enjoy a veal dish. We did not complain, using the sauce to enhance flavor and mask toughness. After receiving the bill, I did inform server. A manager spoke to us and apologized. 2 people, 2 drinks, 1 salad, poor quality = $100.00++ cost. Think carefully before choosing Luce, I have enjoyed delicious, tender veal in Middletown at other restaurants

1  Thank jacquelinejlh
Reviewed April 22, 2014

I had dinner here with my daughter on a Tuesday night. We were seated right away; the restaurant was busy but not full, as you'd expect on a weeknight. The bread with herbed olive oil was excellent. I had a delicious piece of salmon, and my daughter had an excellent ravioli dish. Desserts were equally tasty--I had tiramisu with nicely balanced flavors. Decaf coffee accompaniment was also good, which is a pleasant surprise compared to many restaurants. My only complaint is about the wait staff. Although they were suitably attentive, I never got a smile or attempt at conversation from any of them.