“Great Basic hotel near to Wesleyan campus”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Middlefield
Racine, Wisconsin
“Great Basic hotel near to Wesleyan campus”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

The hotel (bed room, bathroom - and small office/lobby) was very clean and tidy, fresh. Everthing worked very well and appeared to be new. One of the owners mentioned that they have been replacing and upgrading the facility steadily since they bought the property about two years ago. The office serves nice coffee in the morning, and though there is no continental breakfast, the price was just right. The youngest owner (the son) was especially helpful in responding to requests, providing information and obviously, thinking about how he could be of assistance when I asked. Stayed two nights, enjoyed the Direct TV; the wireless access was extremely helpful in making further plans for our trip. Can highly recommend!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

First, what can one expect for $79? Other hotels were booked up for when we were visiting Wesleyan. We are usually Hilton or Marriott customers.

One story motel that looks line something out of the 1960s Motel 6.
reception: i can't fault the manager for not speaking to us when we arrived at 1am. I could see we woke him up. Little did he know our flight to New Haven was cancelled so our only choice was to fly to Providence Rhode Island, rent a car and drive 1.5 hours in the rain on roads we are not familiar with. (i felt bad for waking him up). We were handed one of those old fashioned oval plastic key chains with a metal key attached-- definitely reminded me of motels in the 50s and 60s.
Room: the old style bed covers -- floral print quilted thing. In fairness the sheets were clean and the bathroom spotless.
It was freezing so we turned on the heater but it roared like a jet engine and was very dusty so we slept in our clothes. The room is not well insulated so it was cold. But, it reminded me of a family camp we go to each summer where we sleep in canvas tents and sleep with clothes on and a hoodie on our heads because of the cold.
The TV was fine, cable channels etc.

If you are used to a Holiday Inn, Courtyard Marriott, or Hilton Garden Inn as your minimum standard, you will NOT like this place. If you are used to a regular Hilton or Marriott you will hate this place and run away.
If you just want to spend $79 and only require a clean bathroom, but don't care about heat, (or else an extremely loud heater) your bed cover, or an old-school type lock on your first floor room-- then this is your place.
(Room also had frig and microwave so this could be a plus for some).

• Stayed April 2013
BalluP, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Traveler,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. We will further evaluate how we can prevent this problem from occuring again in the future. Please accept our sincerest appolgy for any trouble or inconvenience we have caused you.

Balvant Patel
Manager
America's Best Value Inn Middlefield, CT

Travelers are raving about these Middlefield hotels

Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

I was going to check in to another hotel down the street. I didn't like the attitude of the front desk clerk he acted as if he was doing me a favor and I should be happy he is even thinking of accommodating me and my fellow guest. He told me I had to wait until 1:00 until he had people checking out. While I sat in my car wondering what I was going to do for three hours; I googled hotels in the area and the Americas Best Value came up so I called the front desk and spoke with Jay. From the beginning the conversation was pleasant and very professional. He told me come over he could accommodate me right away. So I drove up the street easy to find right on the main drag. The outside was okay really was not sure what to expect in such a small town. Jay took care of us like he promised I was right in laying on a bed watching tv within ten minutes of my arrival. My friends chose to wait and go back to the Westlyn Inn a flea bag to say the best about the place. If prostitutes and drugs are you thing then that's the place for you disgusting. Sorry I digress, I walked in to my room at the ABVI and was pleasantly surprised, not only was the check in top notch so was the room. My friends came up and saw our room and wanted to check out of the dump down the street and check into Jay's place. Very very clean, I was a an Operations manager at a Hilton property for about five years clean rooms I know well. I know top notch hotel and the Americas Best Value Inn is top notch very impressed. Ask for Jay he is a good guy and he gives you great recommendation for where to and what to do. I would stay no where else but the Americas Best Value Inn. Five Stars!!!!

• Stayed October 2012
4 Thank BigD28
Biarritz
Reviewed October 31, 2012

My husband and I have stayed in this smal motel mant times since our daughter started at Wesleyan. While it doesn't have what the big hotel do (breakfast, lounge, restaurant, pool) It is very adequate and the Patel Family are wonderful hosts. And the price is definitely right!!
Terri, SF

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Centennial, Colorado
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Just back from an Eclectic reunion at Wesleyan. We needed several rooms for two nights -- and I was pleased to find this steal of a deal. Nothing fancy mind you, but the rooms were clean, quiet and comfortable, the price was right, and Jay -- the manager -- was wonderful. He had great suggestions for dining and was very helpful in general. There was a slight odor to the room, but once we had the air conditioning going -- that subsided.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank mcmani
ct
Reviewed September 9, 2012

My Mom stayed at this hotel while visiting me. The room was adequate, but what was totally unacceptable, unprofessional and rotten were the people who worked there. They could not speak English and refused to put any calls through to her room. Even when I spelled out her name they said there was no one there by that name. I gave them her room number another time and they said it was too late to put a call through at 9 p.m.!! I tried yet another time in the morning before she checked out. They said she was already gone. She was not gone! We will never use this hotel again. My Mom is elderly and does not have a cell phone and I needed to be able to get in touch with her using the hotel phone. Horrible place!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank judy415poet
BalluP, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
We are very sorry to hear that you experienced such an event. This is unacceptable at any hotel. However, we feel that you may have mixed up the hotel you actually stayed with. All of the individuals working at our hotel are fluent in English. We also have an auto-attendant which answers all phone calls. The auto-attendant allows our customers' friends or relatives to directly dial into the guest's room. We hope that you will give us a try the next time you are in the Middletown, CT area. I will make it my personal goal to make your or your family's stay a great experience.
Alameda, California
Reviewed August 18, 2012

We stayed at this motel while visiting Wesleyan University. The rooms were clean and comfortable, and despite facing out onto the highway it was quiet. The staff was very friendly and had great suggestions for dining in nearby Middleton. The location is so/so, about 15 minutes from downtown Middletown, but the reasonable price more than compensates for the short drive.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Micheal O
We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We strive to keep our property clean and comfortable as well as accommodate our guests' requests. I thank you for taking time out of your day to post a response and we hope to see you again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middlefield
Inn at Middletown
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#3 of 4 in Cromwell
Americas Best Value Inn - Manchester

Been to Americas Best Value Inn? Share your experiences!