“Nothing Fancy - Just Good Food”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Kohinoor EXP Indian Cuisine
Ranked #91 of 139 Restaurants in Meriden
Cuisines: Indian
Reviewed December 12, 2012

The food here is excellent and the place is very clean. It's not a fancy place. The service is a little on the slow side but I find (and anticipate even though I don't like it) that with a lot of the Indian restaurants as they make everything fresh when ordered.

Reviewed November 23, 2008

What a disaster.
I love Indian cuisine, and was eager to try a new place so close to work. Most of Connecticut's Indian restaurants are along the shoreline or in/around Hartford, so the prospect of convenient location here was thrilling.
But this place is unreal. Getting to "bad" service would require several upgrades; Kohinoor was so terrible I really thought they might be doing some modern version of "Candid Camera," with a hidden-camera guy ready to jump out and announce it was all a joke. No such luck.
I tried to go in early one afternoon over the summer: The parking lot was empty, but the front door was unlocked and I walked in. Absolutely 100% deserted. I waited awkwardly for a few minutes, then started walking slowly around the dining room, calling "Hello?" to the kitchen area. Nothing. No sounds, no evidence of life.
Time to walk out. I was startled by a guy half-asleep on a couch near the doorway; apparently I'd missed him on the way in. He said sleepily that they were closed. This was during lunch hour. OK, I left.
About a month later, I went back on a Friday evening around 5:30 ot 6. The tables were empty, one incredibly surly looking woman was polishing glasses with a towel. She made no attempt to appoach, let alone greet me. Across the room, I gestured toward a rack of menus and said "You can make orders to go"
"HERE!" she barked, and pointed toward an area near the bar or kitchen door. Again, she didn't move, and instead looked back to the glass she was polishing.
"Excuse me?"
"HERE!"
That was enough. I loudly apologized for interrupting her work, said I'd mistaken the place for a restaurant at dinner hour, and walked out.
Google this place and you find a Connecticut-based message board with a complaint about it. I'd disregarded that, and figured "Give it a fair shot." I should have paid attention to the warning.
"

Been to Kohinoor EXP Indian Cuisine? Share your experiences!