“Not One Of My Favorites”

Hampton Inn Meriden - Wallingford
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Meriden
Goshen, New York
“Not One Of My Favorites”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

As mentioned in other reviews, this is an older Hampton Inn. As such, the rooms are smaller than the newer ones. Even though the rooms looked to have been remodeled, they are still not worth the money that they are charging. The room was clean but the bathroom sink continued to clog. Friendly staff but I don't think I would stay here again, not even in a pinch.

Room Tip: For HHonors members, there are no upgrades at this property.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Hampton Inns are all similar but this one stands out for convenience and service. It's right off I-91 and easy to find. We were greeted by a very helpful young desk clerk who went out of his way to recommend places to eat and to give us detailed directions. The hotel had provided notices for everyone to remind us to change our clocks for daylight savings time. The room was a bit small but very comfortable.

Room Tip: Our desk clerk offered us a room close to (but not too close to) the elevator so we would not be bot...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Boston
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I had an overall positive experience at this hotel. My room's tv wasn't responding to any remote and I ended up getting comped one night which made me ecstatic. It was clean, the breakfast was what's to be expected and the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. 2 thumbs up.

Room Tip: Ask if the rate has changed favorably since the time you booked and they will adjust it.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Initially, the place struck me as a typical Hampton Inn. But it's clearly an older property that they've tried to upgrade.

Mostly everything was fine. Room was clean, wifi worked, halls were quiet, free breakfast.

A few annoyances that'll have me looking for another spot next time I'm in the area. I usually end up needing to work from my room for an hour or two, the desk in my room was positioned very awkwardly. Even though it was next to the window, the furniture the desk is built into blocked the view of the window while sitting there. Admittedly that's nit picky but it bugged me.

Two bigger concerns. The shower/tub was gross. The floor was black and the handle was showing rust.

But the #1 reason I'll look elsewhere next time -- the fitness room! Pathetic. It's one ancient treadmill and stair climber. And the treadmill was occupied. Grr.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank May0rQuimby
Falls Church, Virginia
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights during my son's sporting competition at Wesleyan University. It couldn't have been easier to get back and forth and I felt safe even coming in at midnight after a team parents' dinner. The staff were all very nice - from the reception desk to the morning breakfast team. The king bed was quite comfortable (of course it's always better without my usual dogs and cats crowding me at home) and I made use of the desk and the variety of lighting. One thing that stood out was that there were enough electrical outlets for me to plug in and charge my myriad devices. This may sound like a small thing until you stay at a hotel where you have to keep switching among devices!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Florida
Reviewed February 24, 2013

From an uninvolved staff and lackluster breakfast to halls that hadn't been vacuumed this was a disappointment. Thank goodness we were there for only on night as the heater in our room did not work. The good thing is the bed was very comfortable and in general the rooms were nice and clean.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Streetsboro, Ohio
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I stayed here over the holidays. It was myself, my husband, my 15 month old & my 4 month old for a week.
Stayed in a regular King Bed room, had 1 kid sleeping in a pack n play & the other slept in the bath-tub. Not proud of that but it kept them separated enough that they could actually fall asleep. The room was clean, the bathroom was clean & the hotel itself was clean over all. I didn't feel worried about having my daughter running around on the carpet but we did always have something on her feet - you just never know!
The included breakfast was so helpful & convenient for us. Always warm food or pastries to pick from. The variety from day to day was kind of lacking but what could I really expect? We got into a routine by the end of the week - knew what we wanted & liked. The lady that kept everything stocked was always busy refilling something. She would come out & ask if we needed anything else before it was time to close it up (10am). Very considerate.
The front desk ladies were also very friendly - my daughter is pretty out-going & always waving & saying hi to people. They always struck up a conversation with her & it didn't feel forced or creepy.
We have already recommended this location to some of our friends for their family to stay - so yes, feel free to stay here. And don't forget to ask for your AAA discount (you do really need to have AAA).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Meriden
Comfort Inn & Suites Conference Center
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Hartford Meriden
Hilton Garden Inn Wallingford / Meriden
Homewood Suites Wallingford-Meriden
Four Points by Sheraton Meriden
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Meriden

Been to Hampton Inn Meriden - Wallingford? Share your experiences!