“Great place to crash!”

Hampton Inn Meriden - Wallingford
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Meriden
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I stayed here over the holidays. It was myself, my husband, my 15 month old & my 4 month old for a week.
Stayed in a regular King Bed room, had 1 kid sleeping in a pack n play & the other slept in the bath-tub. Not proud of that but it kept them separated enough that they could actually fall asleep. The room was clean, the bathroom was clean & the hotel itself was clean over all. I didn't feel worried about having my daughter running around on the carpet but we did always have something on her feet - you just never know!
The included breakfast was so helpful & convenient for us. Always warm food or pastries to pick from. The variety from day to day was kind of lacking but what could I really expect? We got into a routine by the end of the week - knew what we wanted & liked. The lady that kept everything stocked was always busy refilling something. She would come out & ask if we needed anything else before it was time to close it up (10am). Very considerate.
The front desk ladies were also very friendly - my daughter is pretty out-going & always waving & saying hi to people. They always struck up a conversation with her & it didn't feel forced or creepy.
We have already recommended this location to some of our friends for their family to stay - so yes, feel free to stay here. And don't forget to ask for your AAA discount (you do really need to have AAA).

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed February 20, 2013

It's not too often that I rate a chain hotel where I have stayed for business as "excellent" but this hotel was really top notch. I tagged along on my husband's business trip so I could vacation while he was at work.

Everything was very clean and the staff (whom I saw frequently roaming the hallways) was always very friendly. I believe they had a housekeeping training going on at the hotel during our stay so I heard a lot of maids in the main lobby having bed making contests and pow wows. They seemed very excited to be doing their jobs and had a lot of fun in the process. With that many maids in our hotel at once, I still never caught one in our room. I think they were learning stealth capabilities while they were there!

The hotel is a good size and very easy to navigate. I wish it would have had a pool, but it did have a small exercise room that is nice for a quick bike or treadmill workout - - nothing fancy.

The breakfast in the morning was good and there were many options. They even offered a "to-go" sack, that my husband took advantage of most mornings. It contained an apple, some yogurt or granola bar and some water - - nice for a quick breakfast or snack.

Location: This hotel has a great location as it is very close to two major highways. My biggest tip is that there is not much to do close to this hotel so it wouldn't be idea for a vacation. Stay on the Hampton side of hwy 15. We drove to the other side of it into downtown Meriden hoping to find a restaurant (that ended up being closed) and discovered this is a slightly downtrodden (that's putting it nicely) part of Meriden. If you're looking for a place to eat, head to Zorba's down the street. They have excellent rolls and the prices are very cheap for what you get.

There is a bottled water machine in the front lobby and internet service. However, if you ask the front desk for a bottle of water, they will give you one for FREE!

This hotel seemed to have mostly business travelers and families staying in town for sports tournaments. Since I was on vacation while my hubby was at work, I wandered through the old cemetary next door for a few minutes to check out the old headstones. It was relaxing in a weird way.

This hotel is about a 15 minute drive to Cheshire, CT and maybe 30 minutes to Hartford.

Room Tip: The side of the hotel opposite the highway is probably more quiet. There is a cemetary to the north...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

No problems here. Just what we expected from Hampton Inn. Clean comfy large rooms. Loved the make your own waffels in morning. Room on third floor had fridge. We had comp internet and flatscreen in room.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank jabbathawhat
Reviewed February 4, 2013

This is a basic Hampton Inn and my room was typical of the chain. Everything worked well in the room except for a rattle in the HVAC fan. It would probably have required a switch to another room if the HVAC had been needed.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Freshly-made chocolate chip cookies as I checked in after hours of travelling! What a treat. Clean rooms, excellent staff, great breakfast - can't ask for more. I chose this hotel based on reviews and I was not disappointed. I only wish I could make cookies that good....

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Convienately located right off the highway interstate 91 . Always know what you are getting in the way of servicebreakfast, nice businnes area and fast wifi and clean pool along with fresh smelling room . Will be back next year

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Would not stay here more than overnight. The rooms are good for the price. But I would recommend the diner across the street for breakfast. The free breakfast provided is sub-par. The hotel staff is courteous and has a list of recommended restaurants in the area that they have personally tried before recommending.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Laura A, General Manager at Hampton Inn Meriden - Wallingford, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Bruce,

Thank you for staying with us and sharing feedback on your stay. We are glad to have met your needs while in town and appreciate your feedback on our breakfast offerings. We will share your comments with our culinary team to make any necessary changes to our selection. We hope you will stay with us again and experience our quality service and hospitality, the next time you travel to the area.

Laura Arneson

Also consider these accommodations in or near Meriden
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Meriden
Comfort Inn & Suites Conference Center
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Hartford Meriden
Courtyard New Haven Wallingford
Hilton Garden Inn Wallingford / Meriden
Extended Stay America - Hartford - Meriden

Been to Hampton Inn Meriden - Wallingford? Share your experiences!