“Nothing Special, but You Could Do Worse”

Hampton Inn Meriden - Wallingford
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Meriden
Sparta, New Jersey
“Nothing Special, but You Could Do Worse”
Reviewed May 31, 2012

Poor planning on my part, I guess. All hotels in the New Haven area were booked solid the weekend of Yale University's commencement, so we had to book a hotel that was farther afield (we usually stay at the Omni New Haven, but lack of foresight ruled this option out). This Hampton Inn in Meriden was the best option, other than paying outrageous prices for something closer but not as good.

When we checked in, there seemed to be some issues with other guests and their rooms being ready, although it was past 5 pm. Fortunately, I believe we got the last available cleaned room (reason given for this: "lack of adequate staffing", whatever that means). Rooms are on the smallish side. We usually book a room with two queen beds, but at this Hampton the only two-bed option was for two doubles, not queens. The room's dimensions made this understandable, as tywo quuen beds would have made for a tight fit. The fitness room (such as it is) has only three pieces of equipment: bike, treadmill & step machine. As with Hampton Inns, breakfast was included: the usual stuff, nothing special at all. Could do worse, I guess.

On the plus side, the hotel is conveniently located near the highway, so getting to New Haven was relatively easy. All in all, I was glad we were able to get a room on somewhat short notice, but definitely would have preferred to stay in New Haven at the Omni. Oh well . . .

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank ENBB
Laura A, General Manager at Hampton Inn Meriden - Wallingford, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
ENBB:

Thank you for sharing your experience with TripAdvisor. Yale graduation must have been fun and I am glad we were available and convenient for your trip to the special celebration. It is hard to compare us to The Omni where you usually stay, but I am glad you found us to be convenient and adequate. Our rooms are a bit small to accommodate two queen beds; the full size beds leave more room to enjoy the space of our newly renovated rooms. We are scheduled for a complete renovation of our fitness facility before the end of 2012 which will be exciting for our guests. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and hope if you're ever in the area again you will come back and stay with us.

Laura Arneson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Reviewed May 14, 2012 via mobile

We recently stayed at this hotel for 4 nights because the hotel we usually stay at in Wallingford was booked up. I have to say, we were pleasantly surprised; this place is a gem! The rooms were very clean and comfortable. The lobby and breakfast area were very welcoming and stylish. The location is ideal, close to the interstate and all major routes. Best of all, the rates were well below what we are used to paying in Wallingford. We will be back!

• Stayed April 2012
MrKite58:

I am so happy to hear you were pleasantly surprised with your stay at my hotel. We are very convenient even if you're travelling to nearby towns; our highway access makes it a breeze. Room cleanliness can make or break an experience and is rated as a top priority for our guests therefore we focus on ensuring our rooms are clean and comfortable for our guests. Thank you for sharing your comments and we hope to welcome you back soon!

Inidanapolis
Reviewed May 8, 2012

The level of service in Meriden far exceeds Hampton norms. All the staff I encountered was friendly and helpful. The general manager -- who seemed to have stationed herself just outside the front desk during the morning checkout -- asked about the quality of my stay. It's good to know that glitches will be corrected for the next guest, a great example of a process of continuous improvement.

This property is located for is just off of Interstate 91, south of Hartford. A convenient location, but its near proximity to the highway makes for a noisy environment. Be sure to book a room on the side of the hotel opposite the highway. If you’re a light sleeper, keep driving.

Room Tip: Rooms on the side of the hotel opposite the highway are quieter.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
HiltonDiamond1:

Wow what a glowing review! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am so delighted you enjoyed your trip to Meriden. I shared your comments with our team and they were so excited to hear all the wonderful details. Our highway side rooms do get a bit more noise but you can't beat the location! Thank you again for sharing your experience.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed April 4, 2012

Very helpful and hospitable staff, great breakfast, clean and comfortable rooms

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Casher_2000:

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay in Meriden! Thank you for sharing your experience with TripAdvisor. I am excited to share your comments with my team. I hope we can welcome you back soon.

East Windsor, Connecticut
Reviewed March 24, 2012

A BIG thank you to all the staff at the hotel for making the Sweetheart Invitational guests feel so welcome and for the warm welcome back next year. I didn't stay at the hotel but visited for hospitality and next year I plan to stay.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Laura A, General Manager at Hampton Inn Meriden - Wallingford, responded to this review, March 26, 2012
Mark P:

Thank you so much for posting on TripAdvisor about your visit during the Sweethart group. We ejoyed having the group here and look forward to next year's trip. I appreciate you sharing your feedback, we can't wait to welcome you in 2013.

Long Island, NY
Reviewed March 23, 2012

Located right off I-91 and the Wilbur Cross this hotel is easy to find and the staff will make you feel welcome.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
ulboy11713:

Thank you for posting a review about your experience at my hotel on TripAdvisor. Guest feedback is so important to the success of our hotel. I am so happy you enjoyed your stay and the Hampton Inn Team was welcoming. We are in such an easy location especially when you're travelling on Interstate 91 and The Meritt Parkway Route 15. We hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

Belchertown, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed February 20, 2012

I stayed here for a bowling tournament over a 3 night weekend and could not believe the warm welcome by both management and staff. They were totally accomodating to our group and made us feel like we were their only concern the entire weekend. The rooms were clean and well decorated and the breakfast in the mornings were phenomenal. This is definitely a hotel and staff I would recommend to anyone and enjoy a return visit to!!!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Meriden
Comfort Inn & Suites Conference Center
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Hartford Meriden
Hilton Garden Inn Wallingford / Meriden
Homewood Suites Wallingford-Meriden
Four Points by Sheraton Meriden
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Meriden

Been to Hampton Inn Meriden - Wallingford? Share your experiences!