“A nice and comfortable place to stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Four Points by Sheraton Meriden
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Meriden
Amsterdam
“A nice and comfortable place to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2011

Stayed here for business in the greater Hartford area, on a points & cash SPG award (a superb value-for-money deal).

Even though the staff member at the front desk was only on the phone for the first five seconds after I arrived, she apologized for the delay and immediately made me feel welcome. Apparently, they had some sort of promo running for SPG members, with which I won a free appetizer in the on-site restaurant, as well as some SPG points. This, of course, was very nice.

The interior of the hotel looks a bit dated, but the room itself was pretty good. I appreciated the in-room welcome letter from the manager, which included my current SPG points balance (all Starwood hotels should do this!). Had a decent night's sleep, thanks to the so-called Four Comfort bed. Outside noise was never an issue.

The swimming pool was great as well. The hotel had ample parking space as well.

All in all, a nice stay, and I would definitely not mind returning in the future.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank TerryWrist

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Manchester, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2011

I was initially nervous about staying @ the hotel aftern reading the reviews, as we were coming in for a wedding. "As they say, you can't believe everything you read." Granted this hotel is a bit outdated, they are undergoing renovations to the exterior, However the room itself is very spacious and I had a great night sleep in my king size bed with very clean linens. I had no problems with the A/C or any noise level. The bathroom had all the amenities that you would expect and noticed updated granite counter tops. Management is doing all they can to make their guests comfortable. I would stay again @ this hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Emelea L
New Haven, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2011

Staff helpful & friendly. Rooms clean and comfortable. Price reasonable. Highly recommend.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank wildcatral1
Hanover, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2011

The service was great as was the food. The rooms were average, but felt clean, however the bathrooms were a different story. The seel on the bathroom counter was deteriorating, the floor of the shower had a brown tinge to it, there was rust and grime on the upper corners of the bathroom, and the toilet seat was cracked and bubbled. I have stayed here before and had no problem at all, but, I noticed this. The 9mm shell casing on the floor by the elevator was a little unnerving though.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank NKT1988
New York, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2011

Yes, I've read the reviews and was on the fence about staying here but I'd like to point out a few items that made me tip the scale to 3 stars for this property.
1) They are renovating. That's always a big plus for me at repurposed properties. We were at the hotel last weekend and it does appear that major work is being done here. That could change the place around, for sure.
2) There is a lot of involvement from the general manager. There were letters from him (a blown up one in the lobby) on the property and I do see him commenting on multiple reviews on TP. I always try to give hotels the benefit of the doubt when you can see that they are clearly reading reviews and taking concerns seriously.

Back to the hotel:
I was wary but ultimately found the stay perfectly fine. Yes, I can see the complaints were somewhat valid: thin walls (yes, I could hear every door slam on my floor but couldn't really hear voices from the other rooms so can't judge on this accurately), air (air was not very cool at all, with one of those older units in the room that only list HOT, COOL, COOLER and HIGH/LOW). We had it on the coldest setting and was still warm. This plays into the room itself--clean but somewhat musty. Perhaps the kind of window unit used leads to more humidity? The carpets seemed slightly damp and I felt sticky by morning. However, these are all things that CAN be fixed through renovations. The reason why I still give this hotel a 3 is because I did find it to be very clean and the staff all quite friendly, which I find invaluable.

It's definitely a decent choice for the area, particularly if you get a good rate. Even without bidding sites, the internet rates are really reasonable and for those prices--I think the value is very fair.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank namila
Western Mass/Bristol England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2011

I am very surprised by the reviews I have read on this website, having stayed here for 4 nights while I am in town for business. My room (one queen bed) is clean, fresh smelling, with crisp bleachy sheets and a nice carpet. The air conditioner works well (so often the units are loud, don't work well, or smell weird). The shower takes a minute to heat up, but has good pressure and temperature once it does. I also really like the bath goods they have here, you get shampoo, conditioner (always a plus!), lotion, soaps, cap, shoe rag, and a little 'tool kit' with q-tips, cotton ball, and a tiny nail file. I found the front desk staff to be VERY friendly upon check-in, taking the time to enroll me in the rewards program while they were pretty busy. Cookies and lemonade tend to be out in the lobby in the afternoon, but a couple of evenings there were just cookies. I also had to interact with the front desk to extend my stay an extra night, which the staff did instantly. The restaurant, Silver City, is pretty average, with a couple of pleasant surprises. It gets pretty busy in the evening, and while the bar staff are iffy (a couple great bartenders, a couple space-cases) the atmosphere is pleasant and the food is pretty good! The wings, I have to say, are awesome, and I like wings. I also got a good burger, actually cooked the way I ordered (not overcooked), and the fries are also really tasty and lightly seasoned. I also had a cobb salad (big portion, lots of bacon) which was good apart from some past-prime avocado hunks. The breakfast buffet, if not included with your stay, is 11 bucks, and not really worth it. Very pleasant, with rotating choices (pancakes, french toast, or crepes; scrambled eggs, quiche, or country scramble) as well as staples like hash browns, bacon, sausage, cereal, toast/bagels, fresh fruit salad, and oatmeal. The coffee is decent too. Service can be a little slow if you come late to breakfast and downright non-existent if you come to lunch, but the staff are friendly.

What didn't I like? Well, I always leave the 'Do Not Disturb' sign on my door, since I've know folks who've had things stolen and I'm not messy enough to need maid service each day anyway. On the fourth day of my stay, housekeeping came into my room anyway, made the bed and took the trash (but did not replace the bags in the bins) this annoyed me somewhat. Also, one evening in the bar, the bird-brained blonde bartender (good unintentional alliteration?) kept serving a clearly drunk man who made the other 7 bar patrons uncomfortable with his rantings. It ruined my evening, and I hurried off to my room early.
I am truly shocked by the experiences others have had, some of them are really awful. I feel lucky I've had a good stay, and the only thing I can think of is that the Four Points seems to have A LOT of events, meetings, etc. and maybe they aren't as organized as they should be. That said, maybe avoid this place for big deal stays, but come stay a night or two if you are in town.

Room Tip: Get a low floor, elevators are slow. Good sunsets out of the back of the hotel
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank lc3708
4pointsmanager, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Meriden, responded to this review, August 8, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a positive and complete review regarding your last stay at our hotel. I am happy that you were pleased with your visit and that you stayed with us an extra night. I appericate you reviewing our hotel's stregths and its potential weaknesses. Your feedback will allow us to address the items that you mentioned need improvement and maintain the aspects which you enjoyed.

Thank you for sharing your stay!

Sincerely

Jay Mitchell
Connecticut
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2011

We had guests visiting from overseas, and we thought we would make reservations at the nearby Four Points. Even though it is much more expensive than the Meriden Candlewood, we figured it would be a "fancier" hotel and a nice experience for our guests.

We asked for a suite with a kitchen, for 2 weeks. We were shown a suite with a full kitchen, sink, etc., and we made the reservation about a month ahead of time. We were told that we were given a special rate since it was a long stay, so it made the higher prices more affordable.

When we arrived at the hotel, our guests were tired and had been traveling for about 24 hours. We checked in and were given the key for a room that was greatly disappointing. It was a suite, but not the one we had been shown when we made the reservation. Their idea of a kitchen in this room was a tiny fridge plugged into a random spot, with a microwave on top. Hardly ideal for anyone staying for an extended period of time and who wants to cook, wash up, etc.

The sheets smelled like body odors, and the linens had large stains. It was not what we expected at all. As this room was not acceptable, we asked for help at the front desk, and we were given no apology, no service, nothing but the phrase that they would 'check in the morning' to see if one of suites with full kitchens would become available (even though they are very limited in number, which is why we went to the trouble of reserving a month ahead).

So we decided to head across the street to Candlewood - they set our guests up at one day's notice, in a suite with a full kitchen, fully stocked, and comfortingly clean. It was a refreshing change. We cancelled at Four Points, and were told that the rate for the one night they stayed there had to go up because they didn't stay the full 2 weeks (even though it wasn't even the right room anyways). However we did not care at that point, as we just wanted to get away from this hotel.

Overall Four Points was disappointing considering it's supposed to be a nice hotel The service was indifferent at best, verging on rude. We felt tricked because we had not been given the room we were shown a month earlier, after taking the time to visit the hotel two separate times and trying to get a decent place for our guests to stay. In addition, the feel of the hotel when they checked in was dirty, uninviting, and uncomfortable. We gave our guests some of our own linens to use, because the bedding in the room seemed so unclean.

I would not recommend this hotel to a single person, considering the wide range of other options in the area.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank explorergurl
4pointsmanager, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Meriden, responded to this review, July 16, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

I am sorry to hear that we were unable to deliver to your expectations for your long term guest and I am sorry to hear that ended up leaving our hotel feeling tricked. It is our goal to full accommodate our guest with ever request that we can. If for some reason we are unable to full fill a certain request for any reason, it is our committeemen to work with our guest to find a solution within reason. I greatly apologize if we were unable to do this for your guest and if the situation was not handled appropriately.

In our location we host many friends, family members and colleagues of members of our local community. It is important that our communality members can really on us to provide excellent accommodations and service to their out of town visitors.

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this situation in more detail with you and hope that we can find a resolution and earn your trust and loyalty back. Please feel free to contact me at the hotel at your convenience.

Sincerely

Jay Mitchell

Also consider these accommodations in or near Meriden
Hampton Inn Meriden - Wallingford
Comfort Inn & Suites Conference Center
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Hartford Meriden
Quality Inn & Suites Meriden
Homewood Suites Wallingford-Meriden
Hilton Garden Inn Wallingford / Meriden

Been to Four Points by Sheraton Meriden? Share your experiences!