“A huge disappointment - we feel tricked”

Four Points by Sheraton Meriden
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Meriden
Connecticut
“A huge disappointment - we feel tricked”
Reviewed July 13, 2011

We had guests visiting from overseas, and we thought we would make reservations at the nearby Four Points. Even though it is much more expensive than the Meriden Candlewood, we figured it would be a "fancier" hotel and a nice experience for our guests.

We asked for a suite with a kitchen, for 2 weeks. We were shown a suite with a full kitchen, sink, etc., and we made the reservation about a month ahead of time. We were told that we were given a special rate since it was a long stay, so it made the higher prices more affordable.

When we arrived at the hotel, our guests were tired and had been traveling for about 24 hours. We checked in and were given the key for a room that was greatly disappointing. It was a suite, but not the one we had been shown when we made the reservation. Their idea of a kitchen in this room was a tiny fridge plugged into a random spot, with a microwave on top. Hardly ideal for anyone staying for an extended period of time and who wants to cook, wash up, etc.

The sheets smelled like body odors, and the linens had large stains. It was not what we expected at all. As this room was not acceptable, we asked for help at the front desk, and we were given no apology, no service, nothing but the phrase that they would 'check in the morning' to see if one of suites with full kitchens would become available (even though they are very limited in number, which is why we went to the trouble of reserving a month ahead).

So we decided to head across the street to Candlewood - they set our guests up at one day's notice, in a suite with a full kitchen, fully stocked, and comfortingly clean. It was a refreshing change. We cancelled at Four Points, and were told that the rate for the one night they stayed there had to go up because they didn't stay the full 2 weeks (even though it wasn't even the right room anyways). However we did not care at that point, as we just wanted to get away from this hotel.

Overall Four Points was disappointing considering it's supposed to be a nice hotel The service was indifferent at best, verging on rude. We felt tricked because we had not been given the room we were shown a month earlier, after taking the time to visit the hotel two separate times and trying to get a decent place for our guests to stay. In addition, the feel of the hotel when they checked in was dirty, uninviting, and uncomfortable. We gave our guests some of our own linens to use, because the bedding in the room seemed so unclean.

I would not recommend this hotel to a single person, considering the wide range of other options in the area.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank explorergurl
4pointsmanager, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Meriden, responded to this review, July 16, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

I am sorry to hear that we were unable to deliver to your expectations for your long term guest and I am sorry to hear that ended up leaving our hotel feeling tricked. It is our goal to full accommodate our guest with ever request that we can. If for some reason we are unable to full fill a certain request for any reason, it is our committeemen to work with our guest to find a solution within reason. I greatly apologize if we were unable to do this for your guest and if the situation was not handled appropriately.

In our location we host many friends, family members and colleagues of members of our local community. It is important that our communality members can really on us to provide excellent accommodations and service to their out of town visitors.

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this situation in more detail with you and hope that we can find a resolution and earn your trust and loyalty back. Please feel free to contact me at the hotel at your convenience.

Jay Mitchell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Seymour, Connecticut
Reviewed June 9, 2011

I had a hotel room block for the weekend of my wedding at this hotel and it was the worst experience ever. This hotel made a lot of money from me and my guests that weekend considering the hotel is in the middle of no where and is never busy. The people who work there were no help at all and only caused problems. My guests were calling in to book a hotel room and were told they were full and had no rooms available. After multiple times of figuring out what the problem was it continued cause no one was communicating to the front desk people. My husband and I wanted a room in the restaurant to hang out after our wedding and also the night before and we scheduled a meeting with the food and beverage manager but he never showed up to the meeting so we talked over the phone to tell him what we were looking for instead. Also we mentioned that he might want to put on extra staff as the restaurant is never busy would be for those 2 nights. The night before my wedding my guests were hanging out in the restaurant and we noticed that no of them were getting barely any service. I sat there for 30 min until a waiter came over to take my order. The morning of my wedding day I was in my hotel room getting ready and when it was time for me to get my dress on I noticed my feet were so black from the disgusting carpets not being cleaned. Also the bottom of my dress was black from just walking thru the halls of the hotel. That night we were all getting ready to go into the restaurant and hang out when we were told there was a party going on in the room we had asked the food and beverage manger to hold of us. He was actually at the hotel that night and made a scene infront of my guests making excuses on why we couldn't have that room. My guests ended up sitting in the bar where we were pushed away cause it was so overcrowded and ended up leaving due to the horrible comedian they had at the party. We were then hanging out in a meeting room and had one waitress serving drinks the rest of the night. That same waitress brought to the manager's attention she would be willing to work the night per to and also that night to help with our party and she was turned down because they couldn't afford to have her work. Also that same night as I was walking thru the hotel a guest started ranting on how I took his hotel room and how he is always in the same hotel room when he stays there and how someone messed it up at the front desk. Then the next morning as I was packing my car up the guy behind the front desk decided he was going to check me out before I was even done in my room, so I was unable to get into my room any longer. After experiencing these problem and the general manager finding out he had e-mailed me and I e-mailed him right back with everything that had gone wrong and he never said sorry and bothered to e-mail me back. Also if they tell you they will give you a deal on a hotel room it's a lie you can get it cheaper online somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank cacook23
4pointsmanager, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Meriden, responded to this review, June 27, 2011
Thank you for sharing your feedback on trip advisor regarding your recent experience at our hotel. I am happy to have the oppurtunity to respond to the comments through this online forum. As the General Manager, I have been involved in finding creative solutions for special circumstances since the booking of this event. I am really sorry to hear that the effort that was made did not have an effect on the outcome of the guest's satisfaction. Our hotel provides itself on delivering guest service above and behond that of other hotels. For this group, we offered several special amenities to try and deliver a memorable experience including complimentary welcome gifts for the wedding guest and a complimentry banquet space with a private waiter. Our managment and staff truely devoted all their attention to creating and memorable experience during this event and we are extremely sorry that we were unable to do so in the eyes of the guest. Additionally, the photos that have been posted are likely not a result of our hotels carpet. Our carpets are cleaned and documented on a regular bases. The last professionally cleaning of all our guest room carpets was done on May 26th, 2011.

Committed to Satisfaction

Jay Mitchell

Travelers are raving about these Meriden hotels

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed May 23, 2011

Nice hotel with decent amenities, clean, well-maintained but quite a ways off the beaten path. Nice staff at front desk. No real complaints, just good if you're looking for a cheap Starwood hotel near Yale.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
4pointsmanager, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Meriden, responded to this review, June 27, 2011
Thank you for the positive review! We truly appreciate that you enjoyed your stay. I am sorry that the location was not convenient for your needs during this trip. Although, our location is located in the center of the state and is extremely convenient to I-91 and we are easily accessible from New York, Rhode Island and Massachusetts. We are also located 25 minutes from both Hartford and New Haven.

Boston, MA
Reviewed May 14, 2011

Hard to believe this is a Starwood property. The people working there were great, but the hotel itself is very sub-par. Paper-thin walls, old, run down and in desperate need of renovation. I would not stay here again, based on the condition of the place.

• Stayed April 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. We are sorry to hear that our hotel did not meet your expecations. We value your feedback and will work to improve our facility based on your comments.
RI
Reviewed April 20, 2011

OK, it's a Sheraton. ho hum, been there done that. But great service! I had a need they filled it. Room was clean. Staff was friendly. Right price and High price service.

Room Tip: The staff is A+
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 6, 2011

Yeah I pretty much can see what lots of other reviewers are talking about. Definitely not the cleanest place in the world and needs a little TLC. I didn't see any buggies per se, but to be honest I really expected it to based on the apparent age/wear of the linens and pillows and such. But I made it out in one piece and so will you. You probably won't be sending your patents any postcards of the place is all.

• Stayed April 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. We value your feedback and have been working diligently to address the issues that you mentioned on your review. We are happy to announce that our hotel has hired and new executive housekeeper that has been addressing all of your concerns. Additionally the hotel has been having a professional carpet cleaning company cleaning our hotel carpets. We strongly feel that any concerns that you may have had have been addressed and we hope that you will try our hotel again future!

Beloeil, Canada
Reviewed January 17, 2011

Over all it is okay, Don't expect to much but not as bad as 80% of the advises here.
It is a 3 stars hotel. The poeple that work are extremely friendly and I am sure they will hit a 4 stars in few years if they continue to improve the rooms and the beds. The pillows have to be replaced, it is the only high negative points.

I am a platinum member with an airlines company, I travel around the world. This hotel is ok if you pay no more then 80$

• Stayed January 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on trip advisor. Your feedback is extremely valuable to us and it will be helpful and we continuously seek to improve our operation. One of our goals is to provide value to our guest. We hope that no matter what rate our guest pay they will find that the hotel was worth the money they spent at the hotel.

I am happy to announce that our hotel has been replacing any worn pillows over the last month. I confident that you will find the new pillows much better than the old.

Jay Mitchell

Also consider these accommodations in or near Meriden
Comfort Inn & Suites Conference Center
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Hartford Meriden
Hampton Inn Meriden - Wallingford
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Meriden
Hilton Garden Inn Wallingford / Meriden
Homewood Suites Wallingford-Meriden

Been to Four Points by Sheraton Meriden? Share your experiences!