“Fronterra Grill .. A winner in Meriden.”
Review of Frontera Grill - CLOSED

Frontera Grill
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed January 16, 2014

I've eaten at Frontera several times since it has opened. The food is always very well prepared. The guacamole is freshly made and tastes great. They make this pork dish that tastes incredible. If there is such a thing as fairly healthy Mexican you can find it a Frontera. They have a black bean side dish that is seasoned nicely. All the meats are prepared just right. Nothing is dripping with oil. Just fresh good food. Many vegetables are introduced into each dish. The atmosphere is nice and the staff is very friendly. Very reasonable prices. This is one place that I hope stays around for awhile. Nice bar area as well. Enjoy!!!

Reviewed January 10, 2014

Excellent Mexican food especially for the North East. Second time there. Food consistently good. Spent years in border towns in Texas. Very close to eating on the border without having to fly down to El Paso. Green chili sauce could stand a little heat but I suspect it has been modified to suit northerners. Salsa seems home made and very good with chunks of tomato and fresh cilantro - again could use a little more heat but still nice flavor. Service is very good, friendly and prompt. Prices very reasonable.

Reviewed December 21, 2013

My fiancé and I have eaten at Frontera Grill several times, but this is the first chance I've had to write a review. The waitstaff is always courteous and service is always fast. We always order the guacamole that is made table side, this is something everyone should try. My fiancé doesn't even like guacamole but he loves it from Frontera. We sometimes order two just because we love it that much. He is a fan of the World's Best tacos and the Street Tacos...he loves them both. I usually go with the Enchiladas Suizas...but I get them with ground beef instead of chicken (never a problem to change up the meat here). The rice you can tell is made fresh, there's none of that sitting in the bin and getting scooped up as the plate comes by...no, it's fresh here. You can taste it and you can see it when it comes. Also, the refried beans are fresh too...they aren't out of a can. You can really taste the difference here. Also, try the margaritas...they're not stingy on the tequila and we've tried several different flavors. They're all excellent. For all the food that you get here, the prices are very reasonable. If you're someone that doesn't do a lot of meat, they have vegetarian meals and seafood too...there's really something for everyone. Try it, you'll love it.

1  Thank Patricia K
Reviewed December 3, 2013

This was one of the better Mexican restaurants I have tried since moving from California. My enchiladas were tasty. Good wine selection for a small place. Loved the atmosphere. Staff was very friendly and helpful. My friend has the fish tacos and said the were very good. One of the better restaurants in Meriden.

1  Thank Pamela S
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Finally made a point of checking out the new mexican place in the area. When they greeted us with "Hello, amigos", I was more than a bit turned off and expecting a gimmicky experience similar to another mexican restaurant in the area that serves terrible food. But we ordered dinner and a couple of melon margaritas. The margarita was sadly lacking any alcohol of substance (especially given the price). I am funny about wanting to actually taste the tequila in a $10.50 drink. I recommend sticking to beer.

The menu was not "traditional" mexican, but rather creative variations on a mexican theme. Interesting menu with some choices I want to go back and try. I wanted something a bit traditional, so I had the carne asada burrito and my wife had the suizas enchiladas. It was very good. Burrito was good size with whole beans, rice and a good portion of steak. The enchiladas were very tasty (2 of them) with a side of rice and refried beans that weren't overcooked(yay!). Portions were about right. Salt content was a bit high for my liking in the carne asada, but I don't cook with much salt so that's probably just me.

Service was very attentive and prompt. The meal came quite quickly and plates were cleared before we got the check. Decor was interesting. Apparently, the trick to converting a friendly's to a mexican restaurant entails a lot of mexican style tile! It was nicely done.

Will definitely be back now that I know what we're in for and what to avoid. I hope they improve their bar offerings. I really do enjoy a good margarita with my mexican food.

2  Thank sporteus