“Authentic Mexican Food with a Super Sweet Hostess.”

Cucaramacara Mexican Eatery
Ranked #23 of 137 Restaurants in Meriden
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Spanish
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Middletown, CT
“Authentic Mexican Food with a Super Sweet Hostess.”
Reviewed July 20, 2014

I went to this place tonight and having just come back from Mexico 7 days ago, I can say with full confidence that this place is the really deal. Few Mexican restaurants in the US use real Mexican cheese and instead use a liquid fake cheese slop. Not this place. They had perfect stringy Mexican cheese in the burritos. My husband and I both had the shrimp burritos. They are huge and can certainly be split between two people. The burrito was delicious and I think we will be making this a regular on our restaurant list. Most people seem to get take out, but we ate in the restaurant and it was fine. They also do delivery for orders over $50.

• Visited July 2014

• Korean first
Saco, Maine
“Tiny; great food”
Reviewed April 20, 2014

The restaurant seems to be run by Spanish speaking people who know their way around some tasty cuisine. We took our order out because we were exhausted and wanted to slum it in the hotel after a long day of being active outside rather than sit in a tiny five (?) table restaurant. Staying at a nearby hotel, we had to drive less than 1/2 mile and before we greatly enjoyed a bowl of chili (that had some lovely cream sauce in it), chips and a few crunchy tacos 'al pastor'. The taco shells and chips were warm and seemed freshly made and nicely crunchy. Do not expect formality or 'gluten free' knowledge. DO expect a super friendly staff and yummy lunch or dinner! Try the slightly sweet 'Al pastor' tacos and wonderful salsa with a powerful side of hot sauce to adorn anything you'd like spicy.

• Visited April 2014
Middlefield, Connecticut
“Great Mexican Food - Priced just a little too high”
Reviewed April 18, 2014

Great great authentic food- perfect for stopping in for take out order. Macho man burrito is awesome and big enough for 2 people. There is a very hot sauce that comes with the food- would prefer salsa instead. My husband and I love spicy food and this sauce was totally beyond us with the hotness. Everything else great...priced just a bit too high unfortunately to make it take the place of our favorite takeout pizza joints (shout out to Empire & Uptown !) I expect to pay more for better quality....but just a little more than I thought worth.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank whirr
Meriden, Connecticut
“done right”
Reviewed March 27, 2014

very authentic and fresh food guacamole is market price so that should say how fresh it is. over time, i have tried most of the items with great pleasure, but last visit i went with some beef empanads. they were some of the best i have ever had

• Visited March 2014
Kensington, CT
“Not bad for CT”
Reviewed March 17, 2014

I read other diner's reviews of this small, bare bones Mexican eatery and put it on my short list of places to try for lunch. Today, a Monday, I managed to stop in at 12:30PM and found myself the only diner in this small restaurant. Nonplussed I ordered a pair of al pastor tacos at the counter along with a can of soda. I was given the option of hard or soft, but soft corn tortillas as SOP which is what I ordered. The tortillas looked a bit dried up, but were turned out to be just fine. These were generously filled with meat, cilantro, onions and a few pieces of pineapple to which I added tomatillo salsa and a squeeze of lime. The overall flavor was a notch or two below the best, but not bad for central CT.

• Visited March 2014