“A very decent inn”

Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Hartford Meriden
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Meriden
Reviewed May 5, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Hawthorn Inn and Suites in Meriden for four nights at the end of April, 2014. The inn is very conveniently located near enough major roads, but not so close as to subject guests to much highway noise. Our accommodations consisted of a single room with queen bed and kitchen, and was big enough to avoid a feeling of claustrophobia when we stayed in. The room appeared newly built or renovated; it was comfortable and adequately appointed. Bear in mind that this is a pretty low-priced establishment (and we got a better deal for staying more than three nights); in that light, it exceeded expectations, though the kitchen was minimally equipped: There was a full-sized refrigerator, microwave, and two-burner cook-top. We were pleased with the new, thick towels -- a rare treat in hotels. Note that as an extended-stay inn, this establishment does not offer (by default, anyway) full room cleaning every day, but we were provided with all we really needed. Hot breakfast (with scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, bread, indifferent bagels, a toaster, a Belgian-waffle maker among other things) is supplied from six to nine in the morning; the breakfast room can get crowded.

The staff was uniformly friendly and helpful. This inn is neither luxurious nor a dream resort, and doesn't pretend to be. Given the low cost, it exceeded expectations; my ratings are made with that in mind. I'd happily visit it again for a similar purpose.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham
Amit A, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Hartford Meriden, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2014

Dear Mr. Robert,

Thank you so much for your recent review of the Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham. I am really happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I’m glad to hear to like the newly renovated rooms and our towels as well. We’re really pleased to have been able to accommodate you and look forward to hosting you again during your next visit.

Reviewed May 4, 2014

Good place to stay.
Staff was exceptional, went out of their way.
Clean up to date room.
fridge, micro, stove, icemaker.
We stayed 4 days
They even lend a dvd player with a catalog of dvds to watch...

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Dear Mr. Edward,

Thank you so much for your recent review of your stay at the Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham. Reading reviews like yours is validation that we’re doing our job. Recognition is the biggest incentive that keeps us thriving for success. We look forward to hosting you again during your next trip to Meriden, CT.

Reviewed April 30, 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed April 29, 2014

Everyone is very friendly I always receive outstanding assistance from jasmine & Tania I don't usually do things like this but they deserve to be acknowledge. I like the convenient stove top and refrigerator and the dish washer is a pulse since sometime I stay for a extended period of time. Overall the employees and service exceed expectation

• Stayed: April 2014

Dear Ms. Kayla,

Thank you so much for your recent review of the Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham in Meriden, CT. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I will be sure to pass on your compliments to Jasmine & Tania and also share this with the rest of the team.

We look forward to hosting you again during your next visit to Meriden.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

My daughter is a freshman at Wesleyan University in Middletown. I haven't been pleased with the Middletown accommodations, so this time I looked just a little farther afield. I think I've now found my regular place to stay for the next three years' worth of visits.

First of all, coming from Wesleyan, this couldn't be easier to find. Total travel time is about 10 minutes, and it's an easy and pretty drive.

As per the place itself, I arrived at the Hawthorn after a red eye flight and was just exhausted. I intended to leave my luggage and return, but they actually allowed me check in at 10:00 AM! The ninety minute nap I was able to enjoy set me up for a great rest of the day!!

Unlike many similar hotels, the Hawthorn is genuinely quiet! The parking lot is at the end of a driveway, not right on the street, and the rooms are angled away from the main street, so there is zero street noise. The heater was also very quiet, and efficient. I slept like a baby.

These aren't exactly "suites" in that there is only the one bedroom, but it does include a small but FULL kitchen. Not just a minifridge and hot plate, but a full sized fridge, an electric range, a sink and a dishwasher; along with plates, cups, glasses and utensils. I've never seen this before in a hotel...it's almost a studio condo. Very convenient indeed.

Breakfast was basic but good, and included scrambled eggs and sausage, which I'm not accustomed to in hotels in this price range. Even the coffee was decent, if only by East Coast standards, but then again, I'm a spoiled Californian.

Very glad to have found this place, and will look forward to my next visit.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank doublerdad
Amit A, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Hartford Meriden, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

Dear Valued guest,

Thank you so much for your glowing review of the Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham! I am happy to hear we were able to assist you in your time of need. We certainly look forward to hosting you again the next time you're visiting your daughter at Wesleyan.

Thank you again for choosing the Hawthorn Suites as your preferred choice of lodging while visiting Meriden.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 27, 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham

Also consider these accommodations in or near Meriden
Comfort Inn & Suites Conference Center
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Meriden
Extended Stay America - Hartford - Meriden
Quality Inn & Suites Meriden
Four Points by Sheraton Meriden
3 mi away
Courtyard New Haven Wallingford

Been to Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Hartford Meriden? Share your experiences!