Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Hartford Meriden
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Meriden
Cheshire, Connecticut
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

I chose Hawthorn Suites because I, urgently, needed a reasonably-priced, pet-friendly hotel with a kitchenette in my suite that would allow me to bring food from home, so that my dog and I could ride out the Blizzard of 2013 safely, rather than risk being at home, losing power for days and being trapped in a freezing cold condo. The Hawthorn was perfect! The room was very comfortable, with a full-sized refrigerator, two-burner stove top, and large microwave. I found everything that I needed to be able to prepare and eat meals, made from fresh ingredients that I brought with me, to prevent them from going rotten at home, if I lost power. The bathroom was fully stocked with the softest, thickest, fluffiest towels and bath linens that I have, ever, found in any hotel, in the USA or abroad, truly. The TV and DVD player in my single, gueen-size suite worked fine, and the exercise room was such a welcome retreat to be able to escape from the worry that the blizzard was causing, and, just, get a workout. When I, finally, sank into bed, the night before the full force of the Blizzard hit us, I gasped with pleasure and appreciation at the sheer sofness and warmth of the most comfortable sheets and pillows that I have, ever, slept on, including my own at home. My dog and I had everything that we needed to be comfortable. Then, as the storm, really, pounded Southeastern Connecticut, the front reception desk staff of this Hawthorn Suites stayed at their posts for more than 30 hours, each, more than a double shift, helping their guests with anything and everything that they could. One of them was, always, there to give guests any supplies they had, as we ran out of them, provide updates on when the parking lot might be plowed, and coordinate efforts to enable us to obtain assistance in extricating our totally snow-buried vehicles. One of them, even, dug guest cars out from under five-foot snow drifts himself, and the other, repeatedly, ran out into the snow-filled parking lot to communicate with the snow plower about freeing our cars and, then, back inside, to mop the wet lobby floor to prevent anyone from falling. They did an amazing job, for which I could not have been more thankful. All of the above cost me a very reasonable nightly room rate, the best of several hotels that I checked on, especially since I had to stay there for four nights. I cannot say enough, but I will end by saying that, if/ when another severe storm threatens my home, I would go to this particular Hawthorn Suites in a heartbeat, and feel great about it! Thank you, Hawthorn!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Amit A, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Hartford Meriden, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Kathy,

Thank you so very much for your glowing review of Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham- Meriden, CT. Whenever I read comments like yours it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. As a member of the Wyndham family, we are proud to be a part of the premier lodging source for business and leisure travelers looking for a great room at a great rate. We know that our largest asset is our loyal base of customers like you, which is why we are so firmly committed to your satisfaction. By continuing to provide our valued guests with exceptional value, we know Wyndham group of hotels will remain the #1 extended stay lodging source in the North America.

We look forward to hosting you again at the Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
SILVER SPRING
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Even though our trip was unfortunately for a memorial service, we were very pleased with the room the customer service and the location of the hotel. Indeed whenever we go back this will be our hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham

Amit A, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Hartford Meriden, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear Janice,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a survey. I wanted to reach out and offer my condolences for your loss. I am glad to know that we've gained a valued guest for life. The next time you visit Meriden -CT we will be looking forward to hosting you at our hotel.

Thank you again for choosing us as your preferred choice of destination while visiting Meriden -CT.

Regards,

Amit.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

I wanted to stay at a Residence Inn but I could not find one close by. The price seemed good so I gave it a try. I stayed 2 nights and left for the Holiday Inn. The kitchen in the room was in dire need of an update, the 27" tube tv had more snow than Aspen, the bathroom had pubes all over the floor and the scratchy towels were stained YELLOW!!! For $5 more I got a 52" plasma at the Holiday Inn plus free breakfast and all the food and beer I could drink at the hospitality suite. Never again.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Mr. Pete,

I recently received a copy of your review of the Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham in Hartford - Meriden. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

You are, of course, correct in stating that our TV's are outdated and so are the kitches. However, we do strive to provide a clean and comfortable room at an affordable price. We also do offer a grab and go breakfast. We're soon going to be upgrading all of our guest rooms to Flat Screen TV's and also upgraded kitchen counters. The new renovations will also feature a full hot breakfast and manager's reception.

I've had a meeting with my head housekeeper to discuss the cleanliness issues that you faced during your stay.

It's not common that we get the sort of feedback you provided, and although it is discouraging to read, it will help us make our hotel even better in the future. Let me apologize again that your stay was not completely satisfying, and assure you that we will continue to listen to our guests in forums like this one. I hope we have addressed your concern satisfactorily, and that you would give us the pleasure of having you as a guest again when we're fully renovated at this hotel or any other Wyndham group of hotels in the future.

Regards,
Amit
New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

First hotel visit for our yellow Labrador, and all went quite well. As for my husband and myself, we also did well on this visit; in town for some holiday visiting, we were pleased by the convenience and value of this location. The size of the room, being a "junior suite" (or whatever they call it), was good; the freebies (breakfast, laundry, gym, gas grills and pavillion) were a nice bonus (maybe we'll check out those gas grills next time); and the hotel was quiet and pretty clean. I did find two long dark hairs that didn't belong to us in the bathroom but I didn't sweat it - let's not forget, it's a hotel, other people have stayed here perhaps just hours earlier.

I noticed someone else mentioned the non-daily housekeeping, which I found interesting as well; I only looked briefly, but I think you can get daily housekeeping for a fee. That said, I'm sure that they are cleaning the rooms when they turn over - but I did find a couple of stray kibbles in our room that were not our brand, so between that and the stray hairs, they are missing a bit here and there.

Still, all said - for under a hundred bucks and being pet friendly, I can't complain and will definitely stay again!

ETA: As for the other reviewer who mentioned the pillows...heck yeah, those things were terrible. And a queen sized bed with only two pillows? What's up with that? If I hadn't been totally exhausted, I would have called the front desk to ask for a couple more!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Amit A, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Hartford Meriden, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I'm so pleased to hear that you decided to try our hotel, and that you were so happy with your decision.We're definitely working on getting better quality pillows in our guest rooms and also upgrading the look of the hotel in the near future. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Meriden
Hampton Inn Meriden - Wallingford
Comfort Inn & Suites Conference Center
Homewood Suites Wallingford-Meriden
Hilton Garden Inn Wallingford / Meriden
Extended Stay America - Hartford - Meriden
Four Points by Sheraton Meriden

Been to Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Hartford Meriden? Share your experiences!