“Impressed !” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Mashantucket
Albany, New York
“Impressed !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2010

I couldn't wait to write this review. We just got back and I don't have a bad thing to say about the MGM Grand Hotel at Foxwoods. My wife and I stayed one night and I got a good mid-week deal of $71 for a double queen deluxe 18th floor. {I was asked for my preference on room location, low or high}. No frills, or extras like the spa just an overnighter and a little gambling. Lady luck was with me and I even left with a little extra money.

You can valet park or self park. Pretty simple, I selfed parked and it wasn't a bad walk at all. Check in went very smooth, no surprises. The pleasant female that checked me in told me everything I needed to know and answered all my questions. She even told me what to watch out for so I don't get charged extra! But my biggest impressions was the hospitality and cleanliness. I've heard of some horror stories about casino hotels so I was prepared for a dirty smoke laden room and nasty rude jerks but I was pleasantly surprised that neither existed. I never smoked in my life and I smelled no hint of it other than in the casino. The casino was gross, but what do you expect from Connecticut. They have non-smoking areas but they're useless.

Our room was spacious and spotless and the beds were clean and comfy with extra pillows. The elevators were quick and clean and there were no security issues. There are cameras in the hallways and corridors for your protection so at no time did I not feel safe. {And there were some scary looking folk around} If you're on a budget, like I was, be sure not to touch the room snacks or order room service. You can spend money if you want to, and they make it easy to do so, but just use some common sense and you'll have no problem.

The main casino is a little bit of a walk but there is a walking escalator along with stair escalators to ease the trip. There are tons of things to see and do other than gamble in the Foxwoods main casino. There is an all you can eat buffet and it set me back a whopping $31 for the two of us! Like I said, you can spend money if you want but at no time did I feel pressured to spend more money . I went on the cheap and we had a blast. I've been to Mohegan and the same room was $100 more. Oh well, their loss. Mohegan is now a distant memory.

I'm sure with the crowds on the weekends, things will change, like the room price, but if you're bored mid-week and want something to do, I wouldn't hesitate to throw some money at the MGM Grand at Foxwoods

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (372)
Hopewell Jct, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2010

I stayed here from my birthday though the price was 300 dollars a night on the weekend. They do get you when you stay on the weekend because its a discount during the week. The hotel was nice and clean. The main area had alot of restraunts and then as you entered the casion in the hotel there was other places to eat depending on how much you were looking to spend. There was also alot of shops, the casion wasn't as big as the normal foxwoods casion is. At night you have to deal with the loud music when the night club is going. It does get crowded and there is alot of people so make sure you know what you want to do and plan out your day. If you don't feel like hanging out in the casion there, there is a walk way that connects both hotels so u can go between them which is a nice idea. The only bad thing about this hotel is there was a concert in foxwoods and people were coming over from it to the mgm grand. We actually had a guy follow us in the elevator drunk off his butt and not even press a floor then try and follow us into our room. We called seceruity right away they were quick and repsonsive. I think when they check to make sure you stay there they check people. Not just show your card because it seems like anyone can just get by them. Also the second time we went up to the room a drunk women on a scooter came on the elevator had no idea what she was doing. She could not even handle the scooter or knew where she was going. I think that security should be alittle more protective of the people who stay there and be more alert to who goes up. The rooms were nice, could of been bigger, the view we had was nice. The beds were allright, the steam shower was nice. It's a nice place to visit for a few days, the winter time is alittle different then if you were to go in the summer.

• Stayed January 2009
Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2009

Room was great although we did not appreciate the expensive pressured snack machine placement in the room. Room was clean and large the bathroom was huge. loved the shower!! Liked that we checked in early and they asked what floor we would prefer.

Hamilton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2009

I visited the G Spa and MGM Grand and thought it was excellent. I purchased a day pass for $25 which allowed me too use the indoor pool, work out facility, men's spa areas (lounge which included drinks and snacks, luxurious showers with multiple shower heads, whirlpool tub, steam and sauna. It was wonderful, relaxing, clean and well maintained. By the end of a couple hours here I felt as though I had had a massage, relaxed and revived- at a fraction of the cost. If anyone is considering G Spa at the MGM Grand vs. The Grand Spa at Foxwoods, I have been to both and would recommend the G Spa. It is bigger, cleaner and nicer overall. I did not stay at the hotel overnight, unfortunately. I wish I did!

Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
Nyack, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2009

Spent Christmas Day at MGM and Foxwoods, had a great time....... all until checkout. After receiving our email confirmation for a $109.00 room rate we were surprised to learn upon checkout our room was $202.00 . Seems like they passed a bill , inknowingly to my girlfriend with the higher rate and she signed. We trusted the fact that the confirmation would prove the correct rate. We were wrong. A pleasant experience turned into a not so pleasanty experience. That will be the last time I go to Foxwood, next time it will be Mohegan Sun. Check your bills

• 2 of 5 bubbles
New York City
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2009

We stayed at the MGM Grand on Christmas Eve for one night. We paid $99 for the standard ("deluxe") room. The building is brand new, and we were impressed from the minute we entered the lobby. The check-in line was long, and one of the employees made awkward conversation with us while we were waiting, so the check in process wasn't completely painless.
Our room was very nice--we liked the showerheads and the room had one of the biggest hotel bathrooms i've had. The room was reasonably clean, and the wi-fi was easy to set up. My only complaint was that the room didn't have one of those binders that hotel rooms usually have outlining the amenities. I had to do detective work to find out answers to simple questions like "When is checkout time?" and "How do you get from the MGM Grand to the main Foxwoods building?" when that information should have been readily available to me in paper form. Also, I keep a travel journal, and there were no pens in the room. That may not sound like a big deal, but I've stayed in both disgustingly cheap and very upscale hotels, and they've all had pens.
Overall though, the hotel, casino and shops are very nice. We didn't have time to try the spa or the restaurants (except Junior's, for breakfast the next day), but it was the kind of hotel that made me want to stay longer, and I usually don't feel that way about casinos. You really feel like you want to spend time at the spa, the pool, the restaurants. I would definately stay here again.

1 Thank melhojo
florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2009

My brother and I met up in Foxwood MGM after 10 years of not seeing each other. I am from Florida, I have a condo cleaning business in Florida, and I know how rooms should be cleaned. The room on the 30th floor we got was nice, but DIRTY as can be. Sticky film on glass tops of dresser and nightstand. Dust so thick you could tell the room had been empty a very long time, or the hosekeeper needs to be fired. And, to top it all off, my brother and I had trouble sleeping due to the sheets. We don't know what caused it, but after 3 hours of scratching at ourselves, we had housekeeping come to change the sheets, at 3 a.m. And, we complained and was just told sorry and blew us off. When we were leaving we found something on the top shelf of a closet, what looked like a spilled soda that had been there so long, we have pictures of all this. No one did anything about it. Just got a 2p.m. checkout. Mohegan Sun is 100% better as service, cleanliness, conceirge, and caring about their customers. I had stayed at Mohegan, but with the new MGM I suggested to my brother to stay there. Save your money, go to Mohegan, THEY CARE ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank callalillyrose
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mashantucket
Grand Pequot Tower
#4 of 4 in Mashantucket
Bellissimo Grande Hotel
Bellissimo Grande Hotel
#1 of 5 in North Stonington

Been to The Fox Tower at Foxwoods? Share your experiences!