“Better than last time”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Mashantucket
Providence, RI
“Better than last time”
Reviewed March 22, 2014

I booked a room with some trepidation after a stay 3 years ago was only average in my opinion. I was expecting the same or worse, but believe I got a better room this time. I arrived about 45 minutes before the 4:00 PM check in, but was on my way upstairs with a minimal wait. This time I was on the 28th floor, with a view overlooking the rest of Foxwoods and a construction site(of the outlets) but it was not noisy at all.

The bed was quite comfortable and I slept pretty well when I wasn't up gambling. Instead of a mini bar, there was a small fridge in the room which I prefer. I found the elevators to be a little slow at check out times. Most other hotels(including the Pequot) have express elevators for upper floors, but its not the case here. I didn't like the fact that I had to pay 15 dollars to use the pool, and it wasn't very big. I expected a little more out of the spa. Not much else to complain about with MGM, I would return again if I get another good deal.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (381)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 21, 2014

Well all of the rooms at the MGM when one is comparing apples to apples... are significantly smaller compared to Grand Pequot. I was in a Director Suite and my friend and I were floored at how tiny it was and we invited people for St Patty's weekend and were very embarrassed. We usually stay at Grand Pequot's corner suite and that is palatial with a balcony, a bar, in a huge living room. Their other suites are roomy too. We were quite upset we couldn't get a suite at Pequot that weekend.
For whatever reason, the cleaning staff/housekeeping has never been up to par with Grand Pequot's. I would have to call twice to have an overfilled garbage that wasn't emptied with initial room cleaning to be emptied in a suite.

The line to check in is horrendously slow, it takes them a while to beef up the check in staff. You'll want to chew your arm off.

But if you don't mind small rooms, a long check in line, and won't be in your room much to need housekeeping, MGM is the most modern/contemporary of the Foxwoods bunch. The outdoor pool is fantastic in the summer and they serve food poolside. Their spa is nicer than Norwich at Grand Pequot. The night club is in the MGM side too.

• Stayed March 2014
Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

Haven't been in a while to Foxwoods and maybe I picked the wrong day but I spent the whole day looking to play a slot but since it was a Saturday no luck. Wait for buffet was way to long. Also the place needs to ban smoking as after a while my eyes were burning and had to go out to breathe. Even the smoke free casino was lingering of smoke as it needs to go somewhere I guess. The place is clean I must say and staff is friendly..

• Stayed February 2014
Ewa Beach, Hawaii
Reviewed March 15, 2014

Stayed at this hotel as part of a 2 complimentary night deal at Foxwoods. My wife and I have stayed at this hotel in the past but usually requested a suite, this was my first time in a standard room. Check in was quick and painless although the line was kind of long. My wife and I were in a room on the 29th floor with a view of the woods and Mohegan Sun. The room was nice, the shower pressure was awesome and again never ran out of towels(I like to take 2 or 3 showers a day). Although the room was non smoking after spending an entire 24 hour period in the hotel and the casinos of Foxwoods, everything smelled of cigarette smoke. As we were in a casino environment really can't complain, but I wish Foxwoods could do something to ensure that a non smoking room is a haven away from cigarette smoke, not complaining but a place to escape smoke would be great. Also apparently the 29th floor is where the hotels exterior lights focus, and unbeknown to us the lights outside the hotel change color. Unless you close the curtains nice and tight, you are going to think your at Studio 64 at night.

Again, have no complaints about this property except for the cigarette smoke smell getting into everything, but we were at a casino so we really can't get too upset about that. It would be great for Foxwoods to somehow modify the ventilation system and make a non smoking room a true non smoking room.

Room Tip: Unless you can tightly close the curtains avoid the 29th floor.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank kp7j4x
Manchester
Reviewed March 12, 2014

This hotel is upscale in every way. Very modern facilities and the rooms are very comfortable, extremely clean with a modern design.
The only negative was with the valet parking. I had to get my own bag out upon arrival and then wait for someone to give me a parking pass. Upon check out, I was asked if I wanted help putting my bag in my vehicle. This surprised me, as I would expect with this type of upper class facility, I wouldn't have been asked, they should have just done it as a matter of courtesy.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Boston
Reviewed March 7, 2014

I stayed here last Thursday had two rooms for the 4 of us for business. I was looking forward to staying on MGM Grand side. Unfortunately the comfort of the rooms was not up to par compared to the MGM Grand Las Vegas. The room had wear marks on the walls and in corners, there was dust and crackers still in the carpeting. The window had hand prints on it and the top sheet had stains. It seemed to me all they had done to clean the room was change the sheets from the prior guests. The comfort of the bedding was terrible and the sheets were rough.
I felt the accommodations were 1 star. They received an extra star from me only for the mere fact at check in the girl was very polite. There was nothing they could do about my dirty room because I was told they were fully booked for the weekend. Both of our rooms had the same tired halfhearted cleanliness.
I love to play blackjack but will seriously think twice about staying the night here. Their rival has better accommodations hands down.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Scubascott1980
Stacy M, General Manager at The Fox Tower at Foxwoods, responded to this review, March 8, 2014
Dear Scubascott1980,

Thank you for taking your time to share your recent experience on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to hear that you received exceptional service when you arrived at the hotel.
It is very disappointing to learn that your room was not in a clean or well maintained condition upon your arrival. Being that the MGM Grand at Foxwoods opened in 2008, we are still a relatively new hotel. The beds in the room are the best in the industry, and we frequently have guests who are interested in purchasing them for their homes. I apologize profusely that your room accommodations were not what you expected. We pride ourselves on offering clean, relaxing rooms to our patrons, and your experience is far from acceptable. At the very least, if your room was not cleaned to your satisfaction, we should have sent a member of the leadership Team to inspect and rectify any issues.

I apologize profusely for the negative impression that you were left with. I regret that you did not enjoy your stay. If, in the future, you should decide to give us another opportunity, I would be grateful for the opportunity to personally assist with your stay. Please do me the honor of contacting me directly.

In the Spirit of Hospitality,
Stacy Morataya-Pilkington
Director of Hotel Operations
Foxwoods Resort Casino
SMorataya-Pilkington@Foxwoods.com
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed March 5, 2014

We arrived January 21,2014
It was just a bit of a storm. Certainly isn't anything I haven't seen before. We came in from Upstate
N.Y.All the casino's closed except a smoking casino. I'm very allergic to smoke. Needless to say
I came home sick for two weeks. We did speak to the shift manager the following day.
I believe her name was Catherin said she was going to give us a free room for the next stay.
We received no email.She needs ALOT more experience. Should have followed through.
She might as well looked right through us knowing she wasn't going to give us anything.
This is definitely not up toMGM standards. She should have made a decision immediately.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Roberta C
Dear Roberta C,
Thank you for taking your valuable time to post a review on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay. Your feedback is vital, and I am grateful. This winter has been a particularly brutal one, certainly in Southeast Connecticut. Our roads have been frozen, and unfortunately, travel conditions have, at times, been hazardous. I am very sorry that you were not able to enjoy the amenities and options that might have been available during a time when we were not experiencing a weather emergency.
When roads close down, and we receive cancellations, we do our best to condense the most popular areas, so that our guests receive the service that Foxwoods Resort Casino is renowned for.
With regard to Catherin, I have followed up with her. Cathy is an exceptional Manager, and takes service very seriously. I would be shocked to learn that she promised something to one of our guests without following up. In all candor, this would be the first time.
I would be grateful if you would contact me directly, so that I may look into this for you. Respecting the anonymity of TripAdvisor, I do not have your full name. I hope that we are able to communicate, and that I am able to transform your most recent memory at Foxwoods.

In the Spirit of Hospitality,
Stacy Morataya-Pilkington
Director of Hotel Operations
Foxwoods Resort Casino
SMorataya-Pilkington@Foxwoods.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mashantucket
Grand Pequot Tower
Hilton Garden Inn Preston Casino Area
Bellissimo Grande Hotel
Bellissimo Grande Hotel
#1 of 5 in North Stonington

Been to The Fox Tower at Foxwoods? Share your experiences!