“Great trip!”

The Fox Tower at Foxwoods
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Mashantucket
Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at MGM for one night on a Saturday. The line to check in was incredibly long, although it went pretty fast. I didn't get to do much gambling, but the food we ate, the restaurants and club were all fun. The room was small but the bathroom was really nice and the views were amazing from the 28th floor. I wish I could have stayed longer and had the chance to do more while there. I hope that I can make it back again soon to truly experience the place.

• Stayed: February 2014
There are newer reviews for The Fox Tower at Foxwoods

Reviewed February 7, 2014

Only stayed 2 nights, but wish it had been longer. Only negative was the check-in procedure where I seemed to queue (stand in line) for an eternity before being called up. However the room (a suite on 27th floor) was magnificent. Un-interrupted view across Connecticut countryside, beautiful. I'm not particularly a gambler but there was plenty to be occupied with as an alternative too. Pity, it's so far from home!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 6, 2014

So my wife and I just had our first child, a son, 8/20/13. On 11/15/13, we went down to Mohegan, yes Mohegan for the Keith Urban concert. We ABSOLUTELY LOVE HIM!!! If you haven't seen him in person, DO IT! But we just couldn't bring ourselves to stay at Mohegan and yes, we are CT residents. Rather than drive an hour home, we thought it would be best to head to MGM, which since our wedding on 7/17/10, has become our most favorite getaway spot. I would have never imagined regularly paying for a hotel in CT, while being a CT resident, but we are ALWAYS treated like royalty. All you have to do is ask. Even when we don't ask, great things happen. I was communicating with the chef concierge, Sue, who to my wife and I, walks on water (I've seen her do this). She knew it was my birthday 11/13/13 and that this was our very FIRST night away from our son. The things she did to put us at ease in our room, our first night away from our prince, were just breathtaking. I hope I can come back to add pictures after, but we had pictures of our son all over the room and a bunch of other fun surprises. It was like he was there with us. We are already planning our next trip and can't wait to be back on 2/23/14. It just can't get here fast enough!!!

Room Tip: The suites are the way to go, just sooooooo comfy with every top notch amenity that you can think of...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Todd F
Reviewed January 31, 2014

I've stayed here several times. Last time was Christmas night, got a good rate. Check-in was great, we stayed over at Pequot night before and had to get out of room and the woman let us check in early, It was much appreciated. Room was super clean, warm and comfortable. Had dinner at Asian place, breakfast at Junior's which was good. Drinks in casino at the bar are stupid expensive for the size of the glass. Had some good luck at the tables. Great night here.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank WunelleTA
Reviewed January 30, 2014

We usually go mid week as I receive a comped room. We went on a Thursday into Friday and it was very crowded. The check in line was very long so we checked our bags and headed out to return an housr later and the line was still very lengthy. The check in was pleasant and the room was nice. We like a top floor overseeing the forest and it was as requested. The MGM can be smokey and it was this time. If you want a relaxing time go on a Monday - Wednesday. Later in the week it gets a bit crazy.

Room Tip: Always ask for a view of the forest. It is magnificent!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Marilyn S
Reviewed January 26, 2014

My wife loved this hotel, yes, It's a bit of hike to Grand Pequot and Great Cedar, not to mention Rainmaker on the opposite end (where the majority of slots are).

We weren't impressed with the brown tones in the rooms. But that's just our personal preference. The beds were comfortable, and the upgrade to Director or Producer suite is worth it if you get a good rate and insist on a high floor with the best view. Be aware that these suites, while sweet (no pun intended), don't compare to the suites in the Grant Pequot (the corner suite there is our favorite at Foxwoods, I believe approximately 3x the size of the mgm suites, and often comparatively priced if you're a member).

As far as the two MGM suites go, we prefer the Director's suite for two reasons: unlike the Producer suite, it is divided into a foyer, private bedroom, and a living room. The bathroom is superior to the Producer suite in that the Jacuzzi has a view. There is a separate shower area.

The Producer suite is about the same size, but with an open floor plan. The bedroom and living areas are not divided. It's a bit odd to have two televisions going at the same time a few feet apart. The bathroom has a Jacuzzi, but there is no window.

Basically, the Producer suite struck us as a very nice roomy hotel room -- not a suite. If privacy is a priority for you, I recommend the Director's suite.

If you are checking into a suite, be sure to skip the lines and go directly to the VIP check-in.
And, if you need it, don't be shy about requesting a noon check-out. We've never been denied this request.

Onto the regular rooms: there, again, dark (didn't the designer realize the brown velour would be lint magnets?). Because the rooms are small, lighter decor would have been the more esthetic choice.

However, the beds are comfortable, and the walk-in shower with a seat is the best part of the room.

I do have a personal incident that didn't sit well with me. My wife and I were there for multiple nights to celebrate our anniversary. On the second day, she suffered a stroke and was ambulanced from MGM. Obviously, I had to check us out earlier than we'd planned. The front desk personnel, knowing full well that my wife had been taken to the hospital and that I was in a hurry to follow, insisted I pay for my entire stay (even though we would not be there for emergency reasons). I didn't have time go argue. Put it on the card. But, MGM, shame on you.

Room Tip: Request a high room with a view. Sometimes, you can see the hawks fly below you.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Joseph B
Stacy M, General Manager at The Fox Tower at Foxwoods, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2014

Thank you for taking your time to post such a detailed review on TripAdvisor. Your experience was so well articulated, and you did a phenomenal job describing the differences between the Producer and Director Suites. I wanted to make you aware that we have two different color schemes in the standard rooms, should you ever decide to give us an opportunity to show those to you.
Please forgive the delay in responding to your feedback online. I needed to research the situation that you referenced with your wife. I was able to find out your names, and the details of your sudden departure. I sincerely hope that your wife has made a full recovery from the stroke. That must have been a terrifying experience for both of you. I took the liberty of crediting you back for that evening, and I would like to do this with my humblest apology.
As TripAdvisor provides an anonymous way for our patrons to share their experiences, I will refrain from addressing any specifics here. I will, however, give you my direct contact information. If you and your wife decide to return, it would be my pleasure to offer you personal assistance.

In the Spirit of Hospitality,
Stacy Morataya-Pilkington
Director of Hotel Operations
Foxwoods Resort Casino

SMorataya-Pilkington@Foxwoods.com
860-312-8525

Reviewed January 24, 2014

Everything about the MGM Grand is modern and exciting ! As soon as you walk in you can see the wide-open casino floor surrounded by plenty of shops and food places. The rooms are very pricey on the weekend ($500) so try and take a day off and go during the week ($160). It's all the same. The Shrine is located literally next to the elevators so that is very convenient if you like to club. The Shrine is a very beautiful upscale nightclub. Just don't go there on New Year's Eve because you'll hate the place. The rooms are VERY nice and clean and extremely modern. I especially love the bath tub and shower designs. The best part about staying at the MGM is that it's only a 10 minute walk to the other section of Foxwoods where you can find plenty of activities and nice restaurants to visit. Did I mention you can gamble?

Room Tip: Go during the week, you'll save about $300. The place is always hopping don't worry.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mashantucket
Mohegan Sun
#4 of 4 in Mashantucket
Bellissimo Grande Hotel
Bellissimo Grande Hotel
#1 of 5 in North Stonington

Been to The Fox Tower at Foxwoods? Share your experiences!