“Beautiful Property”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Mashantucket
New York, New York
“Beautiful Property”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I was traveling back to NYC from up north and decided to spend the night at the MGM Grand since I didn't feel like driving through the night to make it to NY in 1 drive. I'm glad I did.

I reserved a Producer Suite as I was approaching the property. Arriving you have the option to valet your car or self-park it in the garage. Entering the hotel you are greeted by a large lobby, with a cascading water wall framing the desk. It's quite impressive and very nice looking. Check in was a breeze by very friendly and efficient staff. The elevators to the rooms was through the casino - not very convenient really. Up to the 24th floor floor I went. The room was quite large - a pleasant surprise. The king-sized bed is quite comfortable, flanked by 2 side tables on either side. The clock is an iPod clock (for devices using the wide plugs). Beyond the bed is an additional space with a semi-circular couch and TV with floor to ceiling glass windows. My view was of the undeveloped woods - quite nice during the fall change. Below was the pool and cabana.

The bed was stocked with 6 pillows and was very comfortable. The AC was not on when I entered so I had to turn it on and wait for a bit until the room was comfortable. A large flat screen TV ( the remote controls both the one in front of the bed and the one in the sitting area),

The bathroom was huge - a plus if this makes your stay. The toilet is in a separate room. The flush is power actuated and makes a loud noise - this surprised me when I first used it. The shower stall has a bench; the water pressure was perfect. A jetted tub, large, is there as well though I wonder how many people actually take the time to use it (it must take a long time to fill).

There were a number of scuffs and scratches on the furniture - a bit of touch up or repair markers would do wonders to make it less banged-up looking. Other than that, the room was excellent and the casino - not crowded at all = not a lot of cigarette smoke = a better gambling experience for everyone. Have fun here!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
The Woodlands, Texas
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Great food, rooms were more than nice, beds were spectacular - great getaway for couple! Easy drive from Boston, def hit the Steak restaurant!! Room was avaialble upon arrival, front desk staff was friendly and upgraded me.

Room Tip: high floor - take advantage of the Spa, very nice!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank JeffLowney
melbourne
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Hotel itself, rooms and service are top line. My complaint is these facilities that wack you for a resort fee on top of the room rate. Either add it into the room rate or don't charge it to those that don't use facilities like pools gym etc. on the basis of hating the resort fee and the over priced food I would not bother to stay here again as a tourist. Thought it would be a nice stop over on our way to Long Island but wished we had saved some money and carried on.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Waterbury, Connecticut
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I stayed at The MGM Grand at Foxwoods for 2 nights for a Union Convention on September 25th thru the 27th, and I had a plenty good time.

Check-in: Check in was a breeze, even at 1pm, my room was ready. I got Room 23-130. The MGM has really fast elevators, and rarely had to wait for one.

The Room: The room was very spacious, I had 2 double queen sized beds, a 37" TV with dozens of channels, a dresser, which had a refrigerator inside it, and a desk. The closet contained a safe, iron, and ironing board. The room was spotless, and my oversized window had a great view of the back woods, which was pretty, as it was the start of foliage season. I did find the AC/Heat a little lacking. I set AC to 66 degrees, but didn't fell like the room was that cool. You are able to get the standard overpriced room service breakfast delivered to your room by filling out a card and hanging it on your doorknob. You also had the standard room service menu, to get a meal or snack, 24 hours a day. This room is a connecting room.

The Bathroom: This was another spacious room. A separate toilet area, and a very large oversized shower for you and your companion, if you like. The shower also had a seat, if you wanted, and the shower head itself was a large circular head that poured out like a heavy rain. I found the pressure to be a little soft, but not big of a deal. The bathroom sink had Kohler fixtures. The bathroom had the standard, shampoo, soap, conditioner, hair cover, etc.

The Hotel: The hotel as a spa, and pool, which I didn't use. As for food choices, the MGM does have a food court, and Craftsteak, and Shrine, but most of the food choice are in the main Foxwoods hotel, and it's roughly a 20 to 25 min wait for shuttle bus, from hotel lobby to get to Foxwoods main casino. There is a tunnel to get to Foxwoods, and it is somewhat of a walk.

Check out: Again, a breeze.

Overall, a fantastic hotel, with rates that I payed, less than $200/night. I consider a great value

Room Tip: Get a high floor room on the back side for a beautiful view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Wesley Chapel, FL
Reviewed October 3, 2013

We reserved a director's suite with smoking. When we arrived the room wasn't available. The clerk said they do not guarantee rooms or preferences. If that is so, what is the point of making a reservation? She gave us a producer's suite which turned out to be a room with very little furniture in it. I complained later that evening. The clerk said the room wasn't big enough for all of the furniture that goes into a regular producer's suite, but we were being charged for a suite regardless. I complained to the manager. He showed me a real producer's suite which was lovely and he offered to move us right then and there. My husband said no so we agreed to move the next morning. When I called the next morning to move, the clerk said that room wasn't available. I said the room was not occupied last night. She said the entire floor was closed for heavy cleaning and if we had moved the night before we would have had to move again that morning. So, she gave us another producer's suite which turned out to be some sort of suite that they do not advertise on their site. It was small and had an inconvenient floor plan. We gave up since we would be leaving the next day. Before we left I asked for a paper bill. the clerk did not want to give me a bill saying that I could look it up on the television. I informed her that I did not want to do that so she grudgingly said she would send a bill. The charge for this "unknown" suite was a figure I could not reference on their site so I really don't know what we were charged for. The entire experience with the front desk was outrageous. Even the very nice night manager apparently didn't know what he was doing. Beyond this mess the food was so-so, the prices were ridiculously high, and the casino waitresses were few and far between. NEVER AGAIN!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Angelafoodie
Stacy M, Director-Hotel Operations at The Fox Tower at Foxwoods, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Good afternoon.
Thank you for taking your time to complete an online TripAdvisor survey. I am very sorry that the experience fell so short of meeting your expectations.
I am unfamiliar with which suite you are referring to, as all but our largest suites are available to book and view online.

I would be grateful if you would contact me so that I can learn additional details, and apologize to you personally.

In the Spirit of Hospitality,

Stacy Morataya-Pilkington
Director-Hotel Operations
SMorataya-Pilkington@Foxwoods.com
Regina, Sk
Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the MGM Grand for a Business conference. My room was covered by my company so I can't comment on the price or value; hence only 4 out of 5. The reception was quick and very courteous. Stayed on the 23 rd floor (of 30). The veiw was relaxing; Fall colors on the trees. The room itself had comp wifi, comp bottled water and a very nice bathroom. Glass shower, marble sink. No tub though. I'm very picky when it xomes to beds and I had a great night sleep each and every time. The pillow selection was great. Didnt gamble so cant speak to the casino. I would definitely stay again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Awesomegary
Gilford, New Hampshire
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Last week we had a wonderful one night get-away to the MGM Grand! We went primarily for some down time and had a wonderful time exploring MGM Grand and Foxwoods. We are not great gamblers but we made up for it with eating. We had nice appetizers at the California Pizza Restaurant then a late dinner at CraftSteak where we thoroughly enjoyed our spinach salads, filet mignon and gourmet icecream. The MGM Grand hotel was phenomenal with large rooms and our overlooked a forest where the trees were just starting to change colors. We had a fantastic breakfast at Juniors the next day! What a nice mini vacation!

Room Tip: If you like heights - ask to be put on a high floor.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mashantucket
Grand Pequot Tower
Hilton Garden Inn Preston Casino Area
Bellissimo Grande Hotel
Bellissimo Grande Hotel
#1 of 5 in North Stonington

Been to The Fox Tower at Foxwoods? Share your experiences!