“MGM Grand Slam” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Mashantucket
Boston, Massachusetts
“MGM Grand Slam”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

My wife and i enjoyed a tremendous overnight stay at the MGM Grand this past Sunday night, July 7th, celebrating our 23rd Anniversary and it could not have been more enjoyable. The head concierge, Sue Evarts and her excellent staff helped to make our visit extra special. This was our second stay at the MGM, so as before we took advantage of the complimentary valet service to park our car, the valet's were very attentive and courteous making it a very easy process. We then checked in at VIP services, which was very convenient and it helped us avoid the growing check-in line. I had called the concierge desk earlier in the week and requested an early check-in and late check-out if possible, Kathryn Gardner was very helpful, and both requests were granted. When we entered our room we were greeted by a beautiful/delicious 'Happy Anniversary' cake and card, along with chocolate covered strawberries....my wife was thrilled and it was her favorite cake too!...and that wasn't all, there were Godiva chocolates laid out in the shape of a heart on the bed, with a full box of Godiva's right in the middle of the heart and "Happy 23rd Anniversary" written on the window!..the MGM staff really hit it out of the park. I brought a bottle of wine for the occasion, but forgot the opener...no worries, I called room service and a friendly staff member brought one to the room. We were also lucky enough to get an upgrade to the Directors Suite, which was awesome, bed was super comfy and a 32" flat screen in both rooms, plus fridge. Having a separate living room with a beautiful view from the 27th floor of the forest was fantastic and the cool whirlpool bath did the trick at the end of the day. We also had a day pass at the GSPA, which is very nice with an indoor lap pool, whirlpool and a very nice terrace with a view of the main pool. The spa staff were all very helpful, providing us with robes and pool slippers as well as water and juice, we felt like royalty. On Monday we enjoyed a terrific breakfast at the Festival Buffet and then were able to enjoy the beautiful MGM pool, which was also very relaxing. My wife commented that it felt like we were vacationing at a fancy resort far far away, too bad we couldn't have stayed longer, but unfortunately all good things must come to an end. All n All we had a terrific time and the entire staff of the MGM couldn't have been nicer and more hospitable...another home run for the MGM Grand!

Room Tip: Request a high room overlooking the pool and forest, it's worth it!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bob B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
New Bedford, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Me and my wife have stayed here over 10 times since it has opened. From the front desk and lobby, to the casino and pool everything about this place is a step ahead of the rest. We actually were upgraded to a better room because we were newlyweds. First, the elegance and style of this hotel is very modern and upscale. Just arriving and looking at the grounds makes you feel like your entering paradise. The pool party on Sundays in the summer are the best. Cold drinks and beautiful people everywhere. The restaurant Jr's is exceptional and the nightclub Shrine was just average. Second, the rooms depending on what you get are all beautiful. Glass shower with a rainfall shower head feel so relaxing. The king size bed surrounds you in comfort and you could get lost on the other side of your spouse. The corner rooms are smaller but have a pop up TV at the end of the bed, I didn't mind the room size for just me and her because of the huge windows overlooking the hills and forest of the reservation. Third, it was very expensive on certain days and others very reasonable. It is a very long walk to the rest of Foxwoods, but if you ate at the restaurant you might want to walk off some of those calories. Overall a five star hotel at the greatest casino in the world what's not to love about it!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Smoking floors smell like just that. High floors are the best and corner rooms are smaller but are s...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I have stayed here many times in the last 3 years. The first few times were great, quick check in and nice rooms. I have noticed the last few times that the rooms are starting to looks worn and they aren't cleaned properly. Check in is starting to get ridiculous, long waits and no one seems to be working. Make sure that you have your confirmation out! Last time I went they said I had already checked in. But the name was completely different. she checked me in any ways and I thought everything was good to go until I checked my bank balance and they charged me TWICE for a room that night. After almost 2 weeks of telling them to look into it they FINALLY did and realized some guy checked in under my name?? I find it strange that the woman let me check in after my stuff was all through and she didn't even think twice about it. I thankfully got a refund and things were worked out. I may try out the great ceder or grand pequot next time, which sucks because i have always loved the MGM but the rooms are not worth the price anymore :(

Room Tip: high floor towards the pool
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
new jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

My wife and I had driven almost three hours from Northern New Jersey. We wee hoping for a
enjoyable evening away. After valeting our car, we entered a lobby that smelled of smoke. We thought the smell would go away, but when we walked to the elevators through the casino, we were quickly reminded of the smell. The room was clean but looked old and tired. There was no creativeness given to the decoration of the room. The bottom of the night table was chipped and the furniture looked like somebody had found it at someone's curb. I immediately contacted the shift manager and asked her to credit my payment which she said she would do. Since we did not unpack, we grabbed our bags, retrieved our vehicle and headed home. We stopped in Stonington
at Skipper's for dinner. That was the best part of our trip.

Room Tip: Stay away from this hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank travelingman747
Narragansett, Rhode Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I stayed here with a friend for a girls’ night out. Let me start by saying that our conclusion about the entire venue equals that of others who live in this area. The Mohegan Sun is better than Foxwoods. During our stay, we focused on various aspects of the resort in an attempt to define what it is about Foxwoods that makes it pale in comparison to the Mohegan Sun.

We stayed in the MGM Grand. The resort seems to be set up as three different buildings and if I were to stay here again, I would choose the Grand Pequot Tower since it is centrally located. The MGM Grand sits on one side of the entire complex and long walks to get to other parts of the casino are par for the course.

Our room was very nice, set up with two Queen beds. Overall, it was a basic hotel room with little upgrades throughout the room. Our window overlooked the pool below but I was disappointed to note that you can’t open the window to let in fresh air. A full-length mirror was placed directly across from the closet but the light overhead was so dim that it was more of a nightlight than it was an actual light.

The bathroom was very spacious with a separate area for the toilet. However, no door separated the toilet from the shower area and I didn’t like the fact that the sink shared space with the shower. When friends are staying in the same room, it makes for a privacy issue when one person is showering and one person is attempting to get ready. I had to take my gear and get ready in the bedroom rather than the more convenient and well-lit bathroom. Additionally, don’t bother using the hairdryer! I put it on its hottest setting and it only blew lukewarm air and as a result, my hair was difficult to style. Word to the wise: Bring Your Own Hairdryer.

The resort itself sprawls over a huge distance. Our first destination was the outdoor pool located at the MGM Grand. Pool attendants are situated at the entrance and they supply you with a towel. That’s about the last of anything classy to be found at the pool. The chairs are crammed so close together that you literally can’t stand beside your chair to put a towel on it or slide things underneath your chair. Instead, you must stand directly in front of your chair and throw your towel at the chair and then shove your stuff underneath the chaise lounge from the front end. A little more space between the chaise lounges would make for a much more pleasant experience.

The pool itself was disappointingly small. Don’t be fooled by the pictures on the website! The actual pool is about 1/3 the size it appears on the website. There are waitresses that will bring you food and drink. We were shocked to discover that we were charged $2 for a cup of ice after we had already spent $40+ for drinks and food. The waitress was new and I don’t think that was very cool of her. I didn’t realize we were charged for the ice until we actually checked out the next day or I would have demanded that this charge be removed.

After spending time at the pool, we got ready for our night out. We chose to eat at Shrine, a Japanese restaurant. The sushi was very good and reasonably priced. However, before we were finished with our meal, we were suddenly besieged by loud, thumping music that made talking impossible. Apparently, Shrine becomes a nightclub later in the evening. After we finished our meal, we checked out the nightclub and walked out right away. It was jam packed (no elbow room) with what looked like a section band (the kind you find at amusement parks) stretched along the length of the bar to keep the people properly corralled who were waiting to order a drink. It seemed like a giant cattle line and it was way too crowded for such a small club.

We passed on that nightclub and tried to find another venue where we could listen to music, dance and drink. It turned out to be impossible. The only other nightclub was filled to bursting with the 25-and-under crowd. I should also mention that Shrine catered to the under-25 set as well. We headed up to the roof to a place that was listed on the resort map as being a restaurant and nightclub. I can’t remember the name and we didn’t spend time there because it was closed when we got there! It was only about 11 p.m. so the place at the top of the resort is definitely not a nightclub.

We ended up wandering around the huge resort space and noticed that despite its size, there are vast distances that are filled with . . .NOTHING. Nothing to look at. No shopping. No eateries. NOTHING. I think this has much to do with why people prefer the Mohegan Sun to Foxwoods.

Neither of us are gamblers but we tried our hand at it. As I predicted, the slots are very tight and all we did was spend money on nothing. We weren’t even offered any drinks. All the waitresses were focused on the “big money” at the gaming tables and we were ignored the entire time we attempted to gamble.

The next day we headed out to the breakfast buffet at the only sit-down restaurant open in the morning. It was located across the entire complex so we had to traverse a huge distance to get to the restaurant which is sort of ridiculous for a casino of this size. Surely, they could have two breakfast places open with seating? We got to the buffet and were disappointed by the lack of selection. There were 3 stations that were open and all 3 stations offered the same items so it gives the illusion of variety when, in fact, there was none.

Overall, my stay at Foxwoods was something of a disappointment. That being said, I might still go for another visit with my son. The resort is so boring that the only thing of interest is the swimming pool and the various eateries. It speaks volumes that I think Foxwoods would be more fun with a child than with another adult. It’s not a good place for a night out unless you are under the age of 25.

Room Tip: Ladies: Bring your own hairdryer!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank oceanjuli
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I have stayed at the MGM on two of my last four trips to Foxwoods. While it is a longer walk than the other hotels (especially since I am a poker player) it is worth it- especially when you have a director's suite! The linens are so much better at this property, and it has a feeling of luxury missing at the other on site hotels. The gym is well equipped and the outdoor and indoor pools both look lovely (have not tried them). I did find it odd (and inconvenient) that in order to go to the show my photo I'd- not something I usually carry when going to work out. The only food I have eaten at MGM is cappuccino and gelato, both or which were tasty.

I would stay here again for sure, worth the extra walk.

Room Tip: I like the rooms facing the pool and the wilderness
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I have stayed here 5 or 6 times over the past couple years. I don't gamble much instead go for a night away and a good meal but in off-season I have received offers for a free room night so it pays to sign up for the Foxwoods rewards card no matter how little you gamble. When I pay for the room I have each time found it cheaper than the Grand Pequot, which is older and less to my liking.
The check-in is easy, front desk staff have been very friendly and quick each time. Never had a problem with cleanliness of rooms. One time upon check-in the TV in my room wasn't working but someone from the facilities department was there in less than 20 minutes, taking only 2 or 3 minutes to fix the problem.
Haven't used the spa or pool onsite but relatives and friends all enjoy them.

Room Tip: Like any hotel, ask for a room farther away from elevators. Views are great from any level or side o...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mashantucket
Grand Pequot Tower
Hyatt Place Mohegan Sun
Hyatt Place Mohegan Sun
#2 of 5 in Uncasville
4.5 of 5 stars 975 reviews

Been to The Fox Tower at Foxwoods? Share your experiences!