“Nice, but not as nice and the name would suggest”

The Fox Tower at Foxwoods
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Mashantucket
New Bedford, Massachusetts, United States
“Nice, but not as nice and the name would suggest”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I stayed at the MGM Grand at Foxwoods. We got upgraded to a suite which I expected would be fantastic. The room was spacious and bed was amazingly comfortable. However the quality of the furniture was surprisingly poor. The dresser edges were worn to the wood and the table had water rings in it. Not a deal breaker by any means but you would expect the furnishings to be updated a bit more often especially if aesthetically poor. Also the front desk charged my card twice so I had to call them back and wait 3 days for the funds to be released. Good for an overnight but a longer stay might be better at the main hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mike G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
Saugus, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 20, 2013

This is our second trip to MGM Foxwoods! Both were amazing! My boyfriend and I have a tradition of spending our Birthday nights out somewhere overnight...so February 16th his birthday i booked MGM for the first time..Nervous as we all are about amenities and such, I went on Tripadvisor to read reviews! they were 50/50 who liked it who didnt........I stumbled upon a writer telling about his trip and the special requests that he had..Made possible by the Chef Concierge Susan...I picked up the phone and called Susan..I had told her it was his birthday and if she could help make his day extra special..she assured she could help..Upon arrival we went to the room to find the windows Decorated "HAPPY BIRTHDAY MIKE" Plus a small cake and Dipped Strawberries amazing and to top it off she up graded our room!!! top floor comer room WHAT AN AMAZING VIEW .... We had dinner and danced the night away....ONLY to return AGAIN in April for our 2 Year Anniversary!!! SAME special service...So needless to say when my Boss and his wife decided to go to MGM the next week due to the amazing time we had I called Susan!!!! She really topped herself this time ...Their room was upgraded to a suite!! with a cheese and cracker tray & Dipped Strawberries!!!! Window decorations of course..:)
NOW this is the ONLY place we will stay on our special occasions!! It really is amazing there...

Susan really is like a fair god Mother with her Magic Wand!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
buffalo
Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

This is our 6th visit to Fixwoods, my 2nd stay at MGM. The hotel is a nice property with nicely decorated rooms. The most standout asset of the rooms is the spacious bathroom. The front desk staff is cordial and do their jobs; nothing special. The overall casino complex is fun and entertaining. Of their 4 properties, I would only return to MGM. However, Mohegan Sun Casino complex is also amazing and next time I would like to stay there for a change. Would I return to Foxwoods; definately.

• Stayed June 2013
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Really bad experience. Avoid this property.
Problem with room. Room had shower only, no tub. Shower had only scalding hot water. It was impossible to use it. Went to front desk. They treated us like we were being unreasonable. Downgraded us to a smaller room, but charged us the same rate as larger room. I don't think I've ever been treated this badly by any hotel ever in 35 years of traveling. Even manager was rude to us. Avoid this place, period.

Room Tip: Good luck if you stay here. Plan on being treated like dirt.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank DavidHorace
Stacy M, Manager at The Fox Tower at Foxwoods, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Good afternoon, Mr. Horace.
Thank you for posting this review on TripAdvisor. I am very disheartened to hear that your recent stay was so unpleasant. I see that you did not enjoy the setup of the room, with the standing shower. It is one of the more popular features of the room, and I am sorry that it was not functioning properly. I can imagine how frustrating it must have been to have the shower not meet your expectations.
I am very concerned about the interactions that you had with my staff, especially a member of management. It is not acceptable to treat any of our guests with discourtesy or rudeness. I am very sorry that you left our resort with such a negative impression of our service.
I would be grateful if you would consider communicating with me directly regarding this experience.

In the Spirit of Hospitality,

Stacy Morataya-Pilkington
Hotel Manager
SMorataya-Pilkington@Foxwoods.com
Rensselaer, New York
Reviewed June 11, 2013

This is the second time we stayed here. Went to attend a Liquid Sunday pool party. Rooms are great, very clean, well kept, awesome shower stayed in a King Sz room on the 19th floor over looking the pool area. Rooms have refrigerators, one chair and a desk chair, large flat screen TV. Beds are comfortable and in general, the hotel is very clean and staff was very helpful. Free parking and valet service, $13 resort fee a day is added to your bill plus a $100 charge per night in addition to your room rate to cover any additional expenses. If no charges are made, then the $100 fee is returned to your card. Pool is awesome. Huge, very clean, very warm and there is a ledge around the pool to sit on. Well worth the trip. Very expensive on weekends and during events. Will honor triple AAA rate. We received a very good rate for a Sunday night stay. Celebrities that host the pool party only work the party for about 2 hrs and the other 4 hrs are hosted by regular DJ's. Staff at the pool party were very helpful and friendly and kept the crowd under control. It was a very nice day and we had a lot of fun.

Room Tip: Higher floors are less noisy then the lower floors. Rooms overlooking the pool area the best.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank sassiemama
New York, NY
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel for 2 nights (Friday and Saturday). The hotel was ok (I've seen better rooms at the Borgata or Revel), its big but definelty showing some age in the walls and the shower. The walls had some cracks and stains. The beds were comforable. The TV remote was barely working and was sticky and stained...

So here is why I am rating this hotel so poorly...Friday rate was 169/night, and Saturday rate was 269/night. I am ok with the rates, because it afterall is a big casino during a weekend. I even read on their site about how they charge 12.95 resort fee per night. And that 12.95 gets taxed as well. I wasn't thrilled about that, but still went ahead and wanted to try the casino hotel for the first time. So when I got there, I was not only told about the resort fee but there is also another fee to use the pool on Sundays. Admission is $10 per person for hotel guest and $25 for non guest. Apparently its a liquid Sunday adult pool. I am already on the edge for paying that 12.95 (plus tax)resort fee which I dont even get what resort amenities they are charging customers for, and now I have to pay an additional $10 to use to the pool? I wanted to take my child there for a morning swim and suntan, and we weren't even allowed to use it. I can only understand hotels in like the carribean/hawaii/Mexico to charge a resort fee, because those hotels have alot more amenities to offer, such as private islands, boat rides, shuttles etc. I can't justify paying a resort fee in a casino hotel and then being charged another fee to use the pool . If a hotel manager is reading, its probably better for you to tack on this ridiculous charge on the room rate rather separate it out and make customers unhappy.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank lexxis
Henrietta, NY
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Spent two nights in May in a king size room. The room was gorgeous and vey well appointed. It had a coffee pot with coffee and teas plus a refrigerator. Service was excellent everywhere in the resort. Machines were tight but bingo, for the price, is well worth it. I don't recommend the buffet, it hasn't changed in years. The one at Mohegan Sun is much better.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mashantucket
Grand Pequot Tower
Hilton Garden Inn Preston Casino Area
Bellissimo Grande Hotel
Bellissimo Grande Hotel
#1 of 5 in North Stonington

Been to The Fox Tower at Foxwoods? Share your experiences!