“I'm Just Speaking for the Sushi”
Review of Shrine Foxwoods

Shrine Foxwoods
Ranked #12 of 12 things to do in Mashantucket
More attraction details
Owner description: Shrine Nightclub brings the energy and excitement of Las Vegas to the woods of Connecticut. This cutting-edge nightlife destination features a 21,000 square-foot nightclub & lounge and offers an experience like nothing the Northeast has seen before. The space is enhanced with an Asian flair and state of the art electronics such as the 18 Panel 4mm Nationstar LED Video Wall & Funktion One Sound System. For 6 years running, Shrine Nightclub has ranked in the Top 100 nightclubs in the world, placing 35th among the most elite clubs in Vegas, NYC, LA & Miami. Shrine delivers New England the most sought after DJs & Celebrity hosts as well as the most exclusive VIP Service.
Princeton, New Jersey
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“I'm Just Speaking for the Sushi”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I was there early hours (7p) with a coworker. We just thought we'd stop in and check out the casino since we were so close by. Didn't get the nightclub experience, but we did eat some sushi... it was decent. Though, I did find a sticker on one of the fruit garnishes. The Derailed Zombie drink was toxic and tasty. Service was fine.

Hello,

Thank you for your review. We have shared the information you provided with the restaurant managers in hopes of improving the service we provide. We agree that the Derailed Zombie is a must try, and are glad you enjoyed it. Next time you visit you should definitely try the Blushing Geisha, a very popular drink among customers.

We hope to see you again soon.

Providence, Rhode Island
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Shrine... don't bother”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

My husband is planning a small batchelor night out for his best friend's wedding. They are all mid 30's adults, many of which are military and police officers. We dealt with this goon Anthony who is the contact for VIP at the club. While we understand their rule about no batchelor parties, we asked if this small party of 8 grown responsible men could get a table to celebrate the groom. We were told that would be $600 - which includes 2 bottles of vodka and a table to sit at in the back of the bar. Obviously this is ridiculous, so we told him we'd think about it and call him back. Well he didn't want to wait and called us back saying "hey are you going to take that table or not?" - to which my police officer husband responded, probably not. Anthony then told him that if he and his party were to just come to the door as a regular group they would not be let in so they might as well just get a table - trying to strong arm a police officer to pay $300 a bottle to sit in your crappy VIP? really? This is how you try to get business? Shrine stood to make over $1000 of this small group for dinner & drinks in the club downstairs but we are taking our business to Mohegan now because of this fool they have "helping" customers. This is not Las Vegas Anthony, it's CT, and no you are not Bobby Big Balls from NYC - get over yourself. All you are doing is losing business for Shrine. I'm disgusted that this is how a potential customer was treated and will be taking the bathelorette party I had planned to have there later this year elsewhere as well.

Visited January 2013
5 Thank ShandraLee
BNEG-CT, Manager at Shrine Foxwoods, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Hi ShandraLee,

We are sorry for your experience at Shrine. Our director of operations would like to speak with you regarding the incident. Please email Frank@bneg.com or provide your email and we will reach out to you directly.

Alysha Cellini – Marketing Manager
Big Night Entertainment Group
Boston, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Worst service ever.”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

If I could give "zero" stars, I would. The service at Shrine is awful, literally the worst I have ever experienced. I can't speak for the food because, unfortunately, we didn't get past ordering drinks before leaving.

And as a preface, I have never posted a review and generally don't complain about service. I worked as both a hostess and a waitress for many years in college and even post-grad to make extra cash so I know how some customers like to complain just for the sake of complaining. Trust me, that's not how I generally react to a situation where a waitress is busy and can't tend to a table's every demand, etc. I'm a nice girl who is very understanding of how stressful the service industry can be.

With that said, last weekend my friends and I went to Foxwoods to celebrate a 30th birthday. There were 13 of us in total. We had a great experience at Foxwoods until we went to Shrine around 9:30pm on Saturday night for dinner (in the upstairs section). The birthday boy went up to the hostess stand to ask about seating for 13, and the two hostesses not only didn't greet him, but stared blankly back as if to say "huh?" when he asked about a table. They eventually mumbled about not having space, but that we could "try our luck in the bar section" but meanwhile the place was EMPTY. They easily could have pushed tables together in the dining room. But nonetheless, the BAR WAS EMPTY! An entire row of cocktail tables plus bar seating. But instead of offering to push those tables together, they just said to "try our luck." So rude. So we did, we all walked into the bar section and sat down and starting pushing a few tables together. After a few minutes of not being greeted, even though we saw plenty of waitstaff standing around doing nothing, my boyfriend and I left our seats at the cocktail table and sat right at the bar. The bartender greeted us and took our drink order. Next thing we knew, the birthday boy came over and said he was told by the manager we need to leave because he was "too intoxicated."

Okay --- I'm not against restaurants using their discretion as to whether or not they will serve someone who is obviously very drunk and/or making a scene, but this was the START of our night at Foxwoods, so how "drunk" could we really be? Come on. They basically just didn't want to serve a large group. So I asked the bartender if I could talk to this manager, and she shrugged and said "she's right over there" and when she pointed her out, the manager looked right at me, and my friend, and walked away. Then the bartender said "well you can stay, but HE has to leave" pointing at my friend. Seriously? As if half of our group would decide to have dinner together and not include the other half. Simultaneously, another two of our friends had been served beers at the bar while this was happening. The birthday boy told them "we have to leave" and as they got up, the bouncer insisted that they pay for their unconsumed beer. When the birthday boy said "that's not fair, they didn't even take one sip" the bouncer threatened him with "do you really want to get arrested over two beers?"

That crossed the line. Not only were the hostesses incredibly rude (their ONLY job is to be friendly and welcoming!) the manager refused to come speak to us directly and then the bouncer threatened arrest. I don't even have words for how unprofessional the entire staff was. I understand that they can refuse service if they believe someone is too intoxicated, but that was so far from what the reality of the situation was. And even if he was too intoxicated, they handled it poorly regardless. They embarrassed my friend, on his birthday nonetheless, in front of all of his friends for no reason.

Point proven because we left Shrine, went to another restaurant within the resort and we were all served a delicious dinner and lots of drinks (even the "drunk" birthday boy!), so obviously we were not too intoxicated or would have been kicked out or cut off there!

We even continued to celebrate my friend's birthday until after 3am with frequent trips to multiple bars throughout the resort and constantly played games in the casino. If any one of us had been too intoxicated, we would have been cut off or kicked out of the resort by the pit boss, a bartender, or any other staff member. Everyone knows how many cameras are around that casino and if our group was being loud, rude or too drunk in any way we would have immediately been approached. But that didn't happen at all! Obviously the rest of the Foxwoods staff could see we were a large group enjoying a great Saturday night with drinks and gambling for my friend's birthday.

Bottom line is that the Shrine staff is full of stuck-up, rude, and inhospitable jerks who will never ever ever ever get our business again. I don't recommend going there under any circumstance.

Visited January 2013
14 Thank Jennifer G
West Suffield, Connecticut, United States
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Loved It, Can't Wait To Go Back!”
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I have been to nightclubs all over New England and Shrine is hands-down my absolute favorite. The atmosphere is fantastic, DJ JD was great, playing a wide mix of old-school hip-hop, current dance music, and everything in-between.

I chose to spend the night at Shrine for my 30th birthday with my husband and a couple of friends (both over 40), dressed to the nines and ready to dance. I had heard that it was all thumping techno and was prepared to be disappointed, but I was extremely pleasantly surprised. The place is beautiful and clean, I loved the separate lounge for smoking with the fireplace and the couches. Bouncers were friendly and sociable, bartenders also. This was a friday night and the crowd was primarily late-twenties-thirties. Everyone was respectful and friendly, chatting with strangers out in the lounge. The music wasn't too loud or too quiet and I loved that it was in the lounge area as well.

For 13 drinks (5 of which were top-shelf liquor) and 3 bottles of water our bar tab was $155 plus tip, but the drinks were strong and well-made and we weren't expecting a cheap night out. I had tried to get VIP the week prior but my email to the VIP reservations inbox went unanswered. That night we were told it was $300 for a bottle to get a VIP table and we decided it wasn't worth it because we were having enough fun already out on the floor.

Know before you go - dress code is STRICTLY enforced. My husband almost didn't get in because of his shoes.

I don't know what kind of nightclub some of these other reviewers were expecting, but as far as cost - it's Foxwoods. Nothing is cheap at Foxwoods. I didn't find it to be over-crowded, certainly not any more crowded than any other club on a friday night. We got there around 10:45 and waited in line for less than 10 minutes. We never had an issue ordering drinks from the bar, there were plenty of bartenders on hand for the crowd.

I had an awesome time, it was exactly what I wanted, better than I expected, and I would absolutely go back again.

1 Thank JoannahK_12
Hello,

We appreciate your review and are thrilled to hear that Shrine is one of your favorite nightclubs! Happy 30th! It sounds like you had a fantastic time and we are glad the music and atmosphere was to your liking.

As a side, we have shared your review and comments with our VIP hosts in hopes of improving the experiences for future customers looking to book VIP.

We are glad we were able to meet and exceed your expectations and hope you will return soon!

Boston, Massachusetts
“An EDM (and sushi!) Oasis!”
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I've only been to Foxwoods twice, but each time I've gone I plan my trip around Shrine. Each time I've gone I've had dinner and drinks at Shrine, The Kitchen, before going out. The sushi is amazing, be sure to try some of their creative specials...and watch out for the cocktail menu! The decor when you first walk in is amazing and unlike anything I've seen before, makes you feel like you're anywhere but the middle of the forest in CT! Lately Shrine has been bringing huge EDM acts and celebrities to their club, unfortunately I haven't made it down to any of the big nights but looking forward to doing so in the future. They always seem to have someone that even the clubs in Boston don't have. All in all, definitely worth the trip for dinner and for a night out!

Hello,

First off, we love the title you've used for your review! We couldn't agree more and are thrilled that you feel Shrine is an EDM & sushi oasis!

Since you mentioned it, we wanted to let you know that the next celebrity on our calendar is Sky Blue of LMFAO joining us Tuesday April 9th for I Love Tuesdays. Tickets are on sale now, we hope to see you there!