“Staying at the Casino”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Mashantucket
Patchogue, New York
“Staying at the Casino”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

We had always taken the ferry and returned the next day for the casino trips but on our way back from a stay at Hartford we bypassed the Mohichan Sun for a quiet stay at Two Trees by the Foxwoods casino. they say it is across the road and YES it is across the road! It is a steep hill and a busy road so even if you are fit and able - you need to take the pleasant casino bus that you wait just a few minutes for. Our room was packed with furniture, although we got a two room suite, we were found it hard to manuever in the tight spots. I see now that it was for a family, with two TVs and pull outs in the mail room. The furniture was maintained but dated. I ran hot water through the coffee maker and made a decision not to use it. Maybe no one has used it in a while? Pool was super and warm for a chilly day. Nice friendly pool staff. Old time breakfast buffet in the morning after our swim. Generous check out time was 12. We were able to park our car where we could see it. All on one floor, a bit of an old southwest feel to this hotel. Recomended for a nice get a way'

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lisazamm

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
new jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

We stayed at the two trees inn for 2 nights recently. It was very clean and comfortable. The front desk staff were very cordial as well as the house keeping staff. This hotel is part of Foxwoods and probably the only hotel not attached to the main hotel/casino. However, it is only a short drive away. I did see the shuttle bus often.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stayed here with some trepidation, given some of the reviews.
How bad would the cigarette smoke be?
I am very sensitive to the smell of cigarettes, so this might not bother the average person, but I had a problem with cigarette smoke (and I think some cannabis but I'm not 100% sure) in the room, despite the fact that we were on the first floor and the closest smoking area is the third floor. Perhaps they need to segregate the smokers in one wing, rather than by floor. Or it may be the ventilation is all one system. When I turned off the heating system (luckily it was warm enough without it every day but one), put a towel at the door and left the bathroom fan on all night the smell was much less. We would stay there again, especially in fine weather when it is easier to leave the heat off and windows open, and I would just accept the reality. It isn't like staying in a smoking room.
We like Rainmaker Casino at Foxwoods because there is a sizeable nonsmoking casino near the Poker Room, so both of us can be happy.

What about the housekeeping staff? Would the place be clean? With no safe in the room, would our property be secure?
All the housekeeping staff were friendly, and our room was clean (primarily, thanks to Amarilis - who is a superior housekeeper). I am happy to report that our property was secure.

Would the front desk be polite? We chose to extend our stay an additional day because it snowed heavily overnight and we had no commitments - the front desk was great about it, and extended our rate, which was quite reasonable.
Other comments:
The shuttle bus drivers were courteous and one was even a joy - greeting us with a happy smile every time. The shuttles were frequent enough to make the distance not a burden.
We ate in the dining room at Two Trees and would do it again, although it isn't a Gourmet restaurant, it is acceptable with a decent wine list and good service.
We did not go to the bar.

I hope this review will offset some of the negative reviews. You do have to keep your expectations at a reasonable spot, it isn't the MGM Grand or the Four Seasons, but it is clean, attractive, with cordial staff. There are improvements that could be made - they have coffee available from midnight until 8:00 am. I just missed it every morning, and the one night we were out late enough, we didn't remember to check it. My husband did diligently figure out when we could go that the prices would be reasonably low. Since we are retired, and drive there, we have a great deal of flexibility.

Foxboro, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

We were charged $212.00 for 1 night at this hotel. We stayed 4 people in 1 room and split the cost since it was so high. My husband and I got there before the other couple. We went to check in and were told that the reservation was under the other couples name, so we couldn’t check in. Then they said to have the other couple call the front desk and just add us to the reservation. When the other couple did that, they were flat out told “no”. Then when I stood in line at the front desk again to see why they were told no by the same 3 people that told me to do it in the first place, they reluctantly let me go in the room after taking my credit card. I told them that the other couple’s credit card should be charged not mine. They said they will just put a hold on mine. Of course this didn’t end up happening even though the other couple came in and gave them their credit card to charge.
When I noticed that I got charged for the room on my credit card, I called to make sure we didn’t both get charged. I told the person that answered the whole story, and she said that she would transfer me to the front desk. Then I told the whole story again. This time, I just got blind transferred to another person. The front desk didn’t even say, hang on, I need to transfer you. I was just all of a sudden talking to someone else. I said that this was the last time I was saying this story, don’t transfer me again!
When we got in the room, it smelled of smoke even though we asked for a non-smoking room. It was also about 90 degrees in there… in January. The thermostat didn’t work, either the heat was on full blast, or off. So I had to be the thermostat, opening the window and turning on and off the heat all night. Then when I went to shower, I stepped on someone else’s toe nail. It stuck into my foot and I had to pull it out. Gross!
The next morning we went to go get complimentary coffee, only to find out that they only serve it until 8am. It was 8:15am. The coffee in the restaurant was over priced. As was everything that you could get a la carte. They just wanted everyone to buy the whole buffet even if you just wanted a coffee and an English muffin.
Overall this was a terrible stay. MGM Foxwoods is much nicer and is worth the extra money.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Jacqueline G

Travelers are raving about these Mashantucket hotels

North Adams, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

My stay was great, and the room was great. At 11pm I went to the bar in the hotel. Myself and my friend had a great time and spent about $150 on drinks. The male bartender was great, but he was accompanied by a female bartender. She spoke very little the whole time we were there. Last call was called at midnight and time to settle up. He walked in the kitchen to do his nightly duties. She walked out looked at the 7 people at the bar, waved her hands, and said get out!! I replied that's not very nice and she said NOW!! Mind you I have a $35 tip. I then went back to the room and sent a email to Foxwoods. It's been 5 days with no reply.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank Brandon01247
Seymour, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

I have stayed here before, and I love Two Trees Inn. I think your experience here depends on your expectations. We always stay here mid-week, and I think the experience on a week-end stay, might be very different from mid-week. First of all, you can get a VERY GOOD rate mid-week. Check on different travel booking sites & even with Foxwoods, itself--Tues. through Thurs. stays, are especially good. The hotel is much less busy then & the service I have found to be impeccable. The front desk staff is very friendly & helpful. It has never been a problem to get an early check-in, and my room requests have always been honored. Check-in & check-out is always quick and easy, and I have always been greeted with a smile. I would give the front desk staff an "A".
The lobby looks like a quaint, Connecticut Inn. I love the fireplace--the perfect place to relax with a drink in the large, over-stuffed chairs before retiring for the night. Some of reviewers have said the furnishings in the rooms are dated or need to be updated. The furnishings are the style you would expect to find in a country inn--they are not modern in style, but they are clean, not worn, etc. The rooms have been upgraded as far as every room has a flat screen tv, an ipod dock, and wifi. Wifi connects easily and quickly. The bed is comfortable, with clean, comfortable bedding. It's perfect for a nice, quiet night's sleep. The bathroom is large, clean with a great shower/tub.
The housekeeping department is fantastic!!!!! I would give them an "A+". Everything is immaculate!!! The staff is friendly & professional, and they go out of their way for you. We had just checked out, when about 45 minutes later, I noticed I didn't have my bracelet. I thought perhaps I had left it in my room. I went back to the hotel since we hadn't gone far. The front desk staff told me that I could go back to the room and check with housekeeping. I couldn't believe that my room had already been cleaned--they are very efficient. The housekeeping supervisor and the housekeeper that cleaned my room both checked the room with me and we thoroughly checked under the bed, etc. We couldn't find it. Then, the housekeeper suggested that perhaps the vacuum had sucked it up. They took apart the vacuum and ripped open the bag and searched through the entire debris for me--all with a smile and so much friendliness that I felt I staying with family. They could not have been more friendly or more helpful. Oh...and it turns out that my bracelet had fallen off in the car and was under the seat.
I love the pool area. It's an indoor pool and heated to a very comfortable temperature year round. There is also a hot/tub jacuzzi, also. There are comfortable lounge chairs and tables in the area, and a fantastic beamed ceiling--the entire area comfortably heated. There are separate men's and ladies changing rooms complete with restroom facilities, showers, hair dryers, etc. Every time I have been to the pool area, housekeeping is always there--replacing towels, keeping the changing rooms cleaned, etc. It's an "A+" for the pool.
We always have dinner at the grill. It might be a little on the expensive side, but the food is always good and large portions, so much so, you will never be able to finish dinner. The restaurant during the week is quiet & not busy, so the service is impeccable. They are eager to please & very friendly, and try to anticipate your every need. It's like eating in a nice, quaint, little restaurant. I cannot comment on breakfast or the breakfast buffet since we have never eaten breakfast there. I would give the restaurant "A".
One of the best thing about Two Trees to me, is the shuttle service. The shuttle runs every 10 minutes to the Rainmaker Casino and every 20 minutes to MGM and Grand Pequot 24 hrs. a day. The shuttle drivers are great!!! They will take you where you want to go, even if you get on the wrong shuttle. They'll wait for you even if you are just getting there when they are pulling out. And they have great stories!!!! They wish you good luck every time & they really seem to mean it. I'm giving the shuttle service an "A+".
In summary, I think the Two Trees is exactly as it's name implies--a Connecticut Country Inn. It has the homey furnishings that I would expect to find in a Country Inn in Connecticut. It's setting is lovely in a wooded area. The staff is friendly & courteous. This isn't a Holiday Inn Express, folks--it's so much more.
PROS: Excellent value for a room mid-week. Quiet--fantastic place to relax away from the hustle and bustle of the Casino. Great swimming pool and restaurant. Convenient shuttle to and from the casino every 10 minutes. Friendly staff.
CONS: One of the side entrance doors to the rooms, which requires a room key for entrance, is not working & will not read your card to allow entrance. It has been that way since November (at least since then--that was when we stayed here last) and still broken. Maintenance gets an "F" for that.
I am not sure if Two Trees is a good value during the week-end. I wouldn't pay $300 a night as some reviewers have said they have to do. Check the rates for the week-end--you might get more for your dollar elsewhere at that rate. I also cannot comment on speed of check-in, service, etc. during the week-end. It might very well be a different experience.
WOULD I RECOMMEND? Yes, if you want a nice, clean, comfortable, friendly place to relax and sleep away from the casino. If you like large, gleaming, high-rise hotels, do not stay here--you won't like it.

1 Thank Bargainista_Traveler
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

We were offered a rate of $49 a night so we decided to give this place a chance. We requested a non smoking room and the hallway & room reaked of smoke. We received no water bottles as promised, and the wireless Internet did not work at all during our two night stay.
We were woken up to a plow scraping the parking lot outside our room (324) for over an hour at 7 am. There was no snow to plow... Apparently he was trying to scrape ice. At 8 am I called the desk & someone told me they would ask him to move on, at 830 he was still there- I called back & after being given an attitude by the desk, someone asked him to "move on"
We called to inquire both days about the Internet and were connected to "technical support" where we waited on hold and were both times told yes there was a problem with the connection- the hotel did nothing to remedy this. The room didn't look cleaned, our towels, sheets and dirty glassware were not changed. We did not receive bottled water as advertised. When we came back from the casino the second night we called for clean glasses and water at 10 pm, at 11:45 they came! Service was slow & snotty at the bar & food was horrible. Sm surprised at the poor treatment at this hotel especially after spending so much money gambling at Foxwoods- we will be sticking with Mohegan from now on

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Xtinaroyal
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mashantucket
The Fox Tower at Foxwoods
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,452 reviews
Great Cedar Hotel at Foxwoods
Great Cedar Hotel at Foxwoods
#3 of 4 in Mashantucket

Been to Two Trees Inn? Share your experiences!