“Great Spa, Not so Great Mani/Pedi”
Review of G Spa

G Spa
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I love MGM Grand at Foxwoods. Every experience I've had has been excellent . . . Food, Gambling, atmosphere, rooms, staff, etc. except for the Manicure and Pedicure I had today. The spa was gorgeous and I really liked the staff and my person who did my treatment, however having a friendly person only goes so far. During my pedicure I felt like my toe skin was being filed off. I didn't want to say anything because I figured she knew what she was doing. I knew something was wrong when she wiped my toes with nail polish remover to prepare me for the painting and it stung like alcohol on an open wound. I squirmed in my chair, screamed out loud, told her there was something wrong there like skin missing or open wound and she said she didn't see anything. When she applied the nail polish/top coat a little got in the wound and stung like crazy. Now I am home and there is a clear line of skin missing where she was filing. During my manicure I had to ask her to correct something she had done. No biggie though. She did it. She was very nice, knowledgable and helpful but, I'd rather stick to my own mani/pedi person . . . I suppose in a few weeks after my toe heals. I just took a shower and it hurt so bad. My other complaint is that I told her I wanted french on both which I didn't get. Toes because she forgot, even after mentioning I have had french for 20yrs. and nails because I had enough and was getting antsy. I do not feel that the Mani/Pedi service was worth $110 and not to mention they didn't really have nice pedi stations due to renovations. I wish they had offered a discount due to the lack of a relaxing spa pedi experience. I felt like the unwanted step child led through a labyrinth to an area far far away. With that said, The spa is amazing!!!

CHARISSE D, Manager at G Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Thank you for your feedback and the compliments about the the G Spa. I apologize about the mani/ pedi. We do over 500 nail services a month and rarely get complaints. It is important to me that you continue to come here for all of your spa services so please call me at 860 312 4772. I would like to get a few more details. Thank you again and i promise this will not happen again!

Reviewed May 11, 2013

We spent much of the day at G Spa. There is a $15.00 charge for a day pass and it is money well spent. My husband and I spent time at the pool and it was very relaxing and calm. The facilities in the locker rooms are well appointed. It was a great way to unwind.

1  Thank Marilyn S
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed at MGM Grand to celebrate a friends birthday...we took advantage of the twilight special $99 facial...BEST facial I ever had! Linsday is aweomse...see her and opt for the papaya enzyme scrub instead of steam, so much more enjoyable! Can't wait to go back....oh and great pool!

2  Thank alohalauri
Reviewed April 2, 2013

My partner and I have visited the spa several times in the last couple of years. There are separate men's and women's locker/wet areas. Overall, the facility is really nice, with beautiful marble throughout, great huge whirlpool, and also a comfortable steam room and dry sauna.
We've noticed a few small problems in the men's area needing attention by mgt:
- the fridge doesn't seem to be working, so the drinks aren't cold
- though signs say No Cell Phones, we've seen patrons using laptops and cell phones (even in the changing room!) on multiple occasions but the staff haven't nicely asked them to put them away
- the tub holding face towels are usually dry (please add ice and water so they'd be a nice way to cool off)
- some of the wall shower heads are starting to get loose or fall off while showering
- the floor of the shower area doesn't drain properly, so there's usually a big puddle of dirty water that the staff are frequently trying to squeege away

Reviewed March 22, 2013

My best friend and I took advantage of the $25 day pass. Overall it was a great experience and definitely felt it was worth the money. We would go back again. The $25 gives you access to the gym, pool, whirlpool hot tub, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi from 6 a.m. - 9 p.m. You also get a locker for the day that you set your own 4-digit code to. This was great because at lunch we were able to run out to a restaurant in the casino without having to bring all our stuff with us. The spa was not very busy either, which was great. We got there at about 9 a.m. on a Friday and were practically by ourselves until closer to noon. Also it's adults only.

The gym, pool and whirlpool are commons areas shared by men and women. The sauna, steam room and jacuzzis are not shared common areas but there both the mens side and the womens side have each. The pool and whirlpool are very large and are located in the common room just behind the check in desk. Pool is only 4 feet deep and not ideal for doing laps unless there are only a few other people in the pool. There are tons of comfy chairs all around the pool and even a few bistro tables. The appearance of the spa is very classy and certainly makes you feel fancy for the day. The whirlpool is almost as big as the pool and looks out into the woods. There are benches lined in the whirlpool but only on one side. Something to watch out for - in the whirlpool there are big circular filters or something on the floor and when the bubbles are on you cannot see them and you may end up stubbing your toe!

Inside the women's locker room area there is a sauna, steam room, jacuzzi, showers, bathroom with changing area, relaxation area and outdoor patio (it was closed since it's still cold but I'm assuming it is open in the summer). The sauna, steam room and jacuzzi are all together in a separate room in the women's locker room area. The sauna and steam rooms are both pretty large and separated by a huge open shower. Across from those is the jacuzzi, which has a waterfall in it. There is a huge bucket of ice with cold towels for people to use in the steam room or sauna.

You can order room service off the hotel menu to be delivered anywhere in the spa. There are no servers or attendants that come around and take your order however. You have to ask one of the attendants to see a menu and then you use the phone on the wall near the entrance to call your order in yourself. You can use cash, credit card or Foxwoods/MGM casino points to pay. Taxes, gratuity and delivery are automatically added to your order which really makes things rather pricey. We ordered a fruit smoothie ($6) and a glass of wine ($9) yet our total came to $25.....

The showers are awesome!! They are huge and have multiple jets coming out of the walls in addition to the one overheard. The showers are in very roomy stalls that have big glass doors that close (you cannot see through them). Once inside the stall separates by a curtain so you have one area to change/dry off and the other area to shower. In the area where you change there is a towel warming rack to keep your towel hot for when you get out. Each shower has shampoo, conditioner and shower gel mounted on the wall. Amazing water pressure!!

Once out of the shower the bathrooms are stocked full of amenities to help you get ready for where ever you're headed next. Amenities include combs, hair spray, hair gel, cotton balls, q-tips, baby powder, deodorant (spray kind), body lotion, tampons, mouthwash, disposable razors and hair dryers (no flat irons). You really don't need to bring anything with you other than your makeup.

The relaxation area has coffee, tea, bottled water, cans of juice, fresh fruit (apples, oranges, etc), trail mix and big comfy chairs where you can just sit and relax. Most people sitting there were waiting to be called for their spa treatments but it was also a nice dry place to sit when you were not in the mood to be in the water. I did not see any magazines or newspapers however, which would have been a nice touch. As I mentioned before, there was a patio in this area as well but it was not open.

We did not use the gym but did take a walk through it and it is very large with great equipment. They had lots of treadmills, ellipticals, weight machines, medicine balls and free weights. Everything looked pretty new and well maintained.

Our only complaint was while we were enjoying the sauna a few hours deep into our relaxation day, several women came into the area completely nude. This really caught us off guard and by surprise. Frankly, it ruined our day because we started to question how sanitary things were, including the benches in the sauna and steam room if people were sitting on them completely naked and sweating... We're not prudes by any means (we're both 29) but it was just very surprising to see a bunch of naked women when you're trying to enjoy your relaxation day. Nudity should either not be allowed or the attendants should warn people about it before purchasing the pass so that people can decide for themselves if it bothers them or not. We left for the day after the nude women came in because it just kind of ruined the day for us.

A few recommendations for improvement in case the spa reads this:
- Be clear about nudity meaning whether it's allowed or not and if it is allowed make sure your guests know
- Treat every guest to one small flute of champagne to help make the day feel even more special (champagne is so inexpensive that they'll still make lots of profit off the $25 day pass)
- Allow guests to bring in their own bottle of wine or champagne and snacks to enjoy while they are in the spa for the day
- Create a common area steam room and sauna so that couples can enjoy this feature together instead of separate only
- Add a pool bar in the common area so people can purchase a glass of wine without having to pay nearly double by using room service
- Add a few of those hot stone chairs

Overall great day and would go again!

4  Thank alg7334