“hope your not -21”
Review of G Spa

G Spa
Reviewed July 17, 2012

If your age is below 21, you better forget about getting a manicure- when you show up for your appointment- it simply cannot be done because getting your nails done is simply a 21+ activity.

1  Thank Heather M
"outdoor patio"
"fox tower"
in 9 reviews

Reviewed July 16, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a weekend stay at The MGM Grand at Foxwoods. We booked a couples massage on Saturday afternoon (July 14). The facilities were beautiful. I loved the jacuzzi in the women's locker room and the shared pool/jacuzzi (co-ed) was peaceful and had a beautiful view over the outdoor pool. The outdoor pool was crazy wtih guests and kids so the spa was a nice tranquil escape.

If only the service had been up to the same standards. We arrived at the spa about 90 minutes before our couples massage to use the facilities. I was ushered into the women's locker room where the attendant told me my locker number. She said "You can go to your locker, unless you want a tour." I was slightly put off by this - her tone suggested that a tour was a major incovenience. But I told her a tour would be lovely and she obliged. After the tour, I went to my locker to change where I had an awkward fitting robe. I think they fit all the lockers with Medium sized robes as I saw many other women who clearly needed a larger size. Most places will give you an appropriate sized robe when you check in. Fortunately, they graciously exchanged it for me. Speaking of the robes, they were not of high quality. I felt they were rather thin and flimsy and not quite at the level of other quality spas I have been to. So, moving on. I met my husband in the co-ed area only to find out he wasn't offered a tour at all, found the male attendants totally non-responsive and he, too, was given a Medium robe. (He's a football player build, so not exactly a male medium.)

After a nice stay in the co-ed area, we went to get ready for our spa treatment. I asked where to wait for the couples massage and was told to wait in the relaxation room in the women's locker room. This was not accurate. My husband was waiting for me in a co-ed waiting area. Eventually, they found me and we met up. Our massages were lack luster, at best. Mine was not bad, but far from memorable. My husband said it was more like petting a dog. His was not worth a penny. After out treatment, we were treated to champagne and chocolate covered strawberries, which were very good.

When I went back to my locker to get my book, I overheard one of the massage therapists talking to other staff members. (The M.O. of the staff there was to stand around and talk - we frequently saw the manager address this and instruct staff to remove old food and other items rather than sit around talking to each other). But what I heard the therapist say completely shocked me. She went on and on telling the other women about this man she just gave a massage to who was "the hottest guy ever" and how she kept dropping things because she was so flustered. She said she needed to go cool off because she couldn't control herself." I was appalled. I have never hear a therapist talk about a client before. Totally inappropriate, especially when in the middle of the locker room where other clients can hear you.

We enjoyed the rest of our afternoon taking advantage of the spa's facilities, but continued to be disappointed by the lack of attentive service. It was not overly crowded, so we didn't feel bothered by day passes like other reviews have mentioned.

I love going to the spa and have visited many ranging from basic day spas, to moderate hotels to luxury, top of the line resorts. The G Spa has the potential to rank up there with the top of the line given its beautiful facilities but needs a serious crash course in management and customer service. And the quality of the therapists needs to be upgraded as well. I live about an hour away from Foxwoods and if I had a more positive experience there, would probably visit 5 or 6 times a year. Unless there is a significant overhaul, I would not return.

2  Thank hangdog
CHARISSE D, Manager at G Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2012

Thank you so much taking the time to give us your feedback. I am so pleased that you enjoyed the facilities.

These observations help me to training the staff. It shows the importance of treating each guest as an individual and aniticipating their needs. We are all taking this review very seriously.

I apologize for your experience and would like to speak to you about it personally. You can reach me at the Spa at 860 312 4772.

Charisse Duroure
Spa Director

Reviewed July 7, 2012

I will begin by saying that I'm not a rookie when it comes to going to spa's. I've been to spa's all over the country and nearly all of the bigger named ones in Vegas. I will also tell you that I have done consulting work for an owner of a spa owner I know so I'm used to looking at every single thing and reporting on it.

I would say the spa is a medium size, and the only reason is because the inside pool area is quite big with a lot of lounge chairs around it. It's a nice area, it's just too bad that the girl taking me back didn't mention it. I would have gladly used it had I known it was there but I didn't know it existed until I was checking out. If it were not for this area the spa itself would be considered small. The pool area is through a door behind the check-out and I was very disappointed it wasn't mentioned.

I also wasn't shown where the hot tub area was, I was just given a brief this is here and this is there. this is what you get from 20 year olds that work at spa's. The hot tub area was small but in all fairness average for a spa and it was just in a small room and no one was in there. it looked sort of boring but it's probably more popular in the winter.

There's the usual toilet/shower areas and there are two dressing rooms adjacent to each other. Their very small. They have the four digit code lockers where you put in your own four digit code that they will explain how to do. There's also one very small standing vanity area in each room to apply make-up or do your hair that is enough room for maybe two at a time comfortably.

Also as compared to many spa's I've been to this one has a very limited if not nonexistent supply of amenities so bring your own especially your own hair brush and comb. They do supply the little manly black 3 or 4 inch black plastic combs individually wrapped in plastic that are useless.

The lounge area is long and very narrow and enough room for about 5 or 6 to sit down. Again I was not told that on the other side of a little wall that could not be seen to me was a tiny little area for drinks and snacks. When I did see others with fruit I had to wander around to find it and the snacks were not replenished and this to me is a sign of a not so well maintained spa to let that happen on a busy Saturday morning. There is a nicer area on an outdoor balcony with about 5 or 6 nice padded chaise lounge chairs and a couple of round tables with chairs to sit and look out at the view of the pool and the trees. Weather permitting it's nice area and the service providers will come out to announce names for services.

My service was with Krissann and having had countless massages I can easily say that it was hands down one of the best massages I've ever had, if not the best. I would highly recommend her, you won't be disappointed.

After my service I did a little investigating and asked how I was able to hear kids yelling during my massage. I was told that there are some service rooms on the outer wall by the pool? What? Who's bad design was that? I have to say that during my massage I enjoyed great stereo sound and a nice assortment of all kinds of different spa music that I enjoyed but it did not drown out all of the noise. I'll get to the indoor noise next.

So my biggest tip in this review is to not go to this spa on Sundays in the summer or you could get one of these rooms by the pool during MGM's Liquid Sundays. That is the most hair brained idea that any resort could ever do in my opinion. Have a spa near a pool and then to add insult to injury have pool parties on Sundays with loud music and partying. If I had been to this spa on a Sunday and heard that I would have been raising the roof above and beyond the music. No one goes to the spa to hear that and be disturbed. We go for peace and quiet and relaxation. BUT... there's more. I also learned that this spa is leased out to an outside lady that runs this spa, MGM doesn't run it and obviously MGM still cares more about their alcohol sales from Liquid Sundays. I haven't been to Liquid Sunday, and I have no idea about receipt totals for alcohol sales but I know I spent about $500 on my two spa services and I want to see two drinks out at the pool that costs that much. I guess it might be possible but I bet it doesn't happen often if ever at this location. I'm sure there's a high roller here and there but my point is at that everyone at the spa is spending bigger bucks I would imagine. I've never spent $500 at a pool have you? Even if it's not about money which everything is, it should be about providing the same level of comfort and service to all of your guests and this is lopsided on Sundays in the summer because spa guest are being short changed in my opinion. So it appears MGM values their pool guest more than the spa guests, it's just flat out a bad design and a bad idea.

MGM may not be running the spa but it is directly tied to them in their hotel with their name. So don't go to the spa on Sundays during Liquid Sundays or you could get a room where you would be able to hear that noise. It's just the dumbest thing ever to me. This isn't hard Rock in Vegas, it's a resort in a peaceful wooded area and they should let it be just that, especially if it's near their own spa!

So for the indoor noise. I will never ever consider a spa anywhere to be a top notch spa until they address and control their own employees where noise is concerned. Service providers come to get you and then they make small talk all the way down the hall getting to know you. That's fine, they can't be rude but they can set the tone with using whisper voices. If they set a precedent then maybe the guest will follow. I'm always trying to be considerate of other guest and use a whisper voice and I think I'm the only one. The problem is that not all services end on the hour when the bulk of the traffic comes and goes. I had a 90 minute massage so when you get to the 1 hour mark people are coming and going and talking and shutting doors loudly and that 60 minutes of trying to relax just goes out the door along with everyone else. There are people behind doors that you can't see and just because you can't see them doesn't mean their not in there and that they don't deserve peace and quiet, treat them as you would want to be treated during your service. Spa providers need to set an example and talk quietly and hold doors until they shut, not just let them slam shut and the manager needs to see that this happens every day.

I also had a facial with Michelle. When I entered the room I noticed the bed was on and being heated and asked if it was even though I knew the answer. She said yes and I asked her nicely if we could just turn it off because I didn't want it to be. I don't personally like heated beds in the summer but I know some do. Anyway, her response was "Yes I can turn it off but I will have to turn it back on at the end of your service so it will be heated for my next guest." I just didn't like that response because it made me feel like her next guest was more important than the one she currently had. She should have just said yes and done it and never mentioned the next guest. If the heat was turned back on after I left, surely it would be heated by the time the next guest came in and if not the next guest could surely wait for it to be. Other than that, the facial was fine, it didn't blow me away.

Over-all I have mixed views of the spa. I would go back but I would request a room as far away from the pool as I could be, no matter what day it was. I would have rather had an older employee take me around and show me all the things I wasn't shown as compared to the young girl who didn't seem to care. I loved Krissann and would asks for her in a heartbeat and I would have loved to use the pool area had I known about it. You are able to utilize the spa all day after your service but I wasn't able to come back. I also having known better would never go back on a Saturday but on this trip I just didn't have a choice. I didn't find any of the employees friendly or helpful including the lady I believed to be the spa manager. She was up at the desk at the time of my check-out and never acknowledged me or asked how my service was, the only saving grace for service at this spa was Krissann.

I hope you have found this review to be helpful. I have tried to give you the fairest account of what I experienced and learned from it.

2  Thank Islandmomma4ever
Management response:Responded July 9, 2012

Sheree.

Thank you so much for your review. I appreciate you candid feedback and I am working with the staff to work on the things that will give us a 5 out of 5 rating with you. I will pass your feedback on to the Entertainment Department about the Liquid Sundays.

Please contact me personally to book your next visit. I will make sure Kris Ann is availble for you next massage!

Charisse Duroure
Spa Director

Reviewed June 23, 2012

I spent a few hours at the G-Spa at MGM and it was a fantastic experience. Staff very friendly, prices reasonable and they're very flexible with the customizing of massages. I went there with the intent of my usual deep tissue but have always wanted to try hot stone. The hostess informed me that I can have a combo of both...I was thrilled. I did not have an appointment but they had something 90 minutes away, so I hung out in the pool sized jacuzzi - all to myself - which also included a waterfall massage for neck back and shoulders...it was AMAZING! I then spent some time in the sauna..then got my massage. When you are staying at the hotel and book a spa treatment, the entire facility is available to you for the entire day. It was very relaxing and pleasant.

See more reviews
Reviewed June 18, 2012

The G Spa is a very relaxing escape inside of MGM Grand at Foxwoods.

To enter the G Spa you must be 21 years of age or older. If you do not have an appointment, they require photo ID to enter. As a hotel guest, you are able to use the fitness center complimentary (With Photo ID). A day pass for a hotel guest is $15 and a day pass for a non hotel guest is $25 (Both with Photo ID).

The good thing about this spa versus the Norwich Spa on the Foxwoods side is the fact that there are no children and the facilities are newer and much nicer. My favorite is the eucalyptus steam room and the WATERFALL jacuzzi! Both sides of the spa (men and women) have steam room, sauna, and waterfall jacuzzi. There is a private balcony for women and a coed balcony. Also the lap pool is coed as well as the huge jacuzzi behind it! In the locker room, all of the lockers have digital locks where you create the combination so everything is very secure and safe. And the fitness center is huge. They also offer complimentary juices, water, and trail mix. If that is not satisfying enough, there are menus and room service delivers right to you!

Just a side note though, room service includes gratuity in your order.

The staff is excellent. Front desk staff especially! They are very helpful in any way. If you are looking to get model hair, Derek is the best hair stylist! As far as facials and massages go, any one of the staff is more than qualified and does the best job!

Thank you for the best experiences ever! Jennifer the front desk manager always goes out of her way to make sure the experience is enjoyable, as well as the rest of the staff. For the front desk, I thoroughly enjoy Nina, Becky, and Stephanie. The men's spa attendant Alex and the women's spa attendants Abby, Cheri, and Marie. They all make going to the spa worthwhile for sure!

1  Thank ASamIAm