“Great Hotel”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Mashantucket
Toronto
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed September 18, 2008

We had a great time at the Grand Pequot! Rooms were nice and large, bathrooms were also a good size as well. Only negatives about the room was the Euro-flow showerhead made this the worst shower I've ever used in a hotel...the pressure was great coming out from the spout down below but close to drips coming out of the showerhead. The main telephone in the room (between the beds) also didn't work (had to use the one on the desk or in the bathroom).
Enjoyed the blackjack tables in all of the casinos...not as many beverage ladies came around to the tables like they do in Las Vegas however. I also noticed that the players have to be a lot more vigilant about collected their winnings here as the dealers could be a bit sloppy with their math at times (again compared to the casinos on the strip in Las Vegas). In my short experience here however, I must say that the blackjack players that I encountered at these tables knew a lot more about basic strategy than at similar tables ($15-$25 minimum) in Vegas.

I also really liked the rating system at Foxwoods more than the Vegas system. The "Dream Card" allowed my father and I to put $56 toward dinner one night and $13 towards breakfast the next morning. With the amount we played and our minimum bets in Vegas we would have been lucky to be comped even 1 meal. You also didn't have to ask for this comp...it is automatically calculated using a points system. Each point you accumulate on your card as you play at the tables/slots etc., equates to one dollar in value. There are little ATM type machines all over the complex where you can check your balance on the card at anytime.

We played golf at the "Lake of Isles" golf course which is situated across the street from Foxwoods...a free shuttle ride from the hotel. It was a very challenging but beautiful course.

All in all a great trip!!! It was worth the 8 hour drive!!!

• Liked — Casinos
  • Disliked — Shower water pressure was extremely low
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Niagara, Ontario
Reviewed August 10, 2008

We stayed one night in July 2008 in the Grand Pequot Tower.

Check-in: Was friendly and extremely thorough to say the least. We must have been at the desk for 20 minutes while the clerk oriented us to the property. They did not have the room-type we'd reserved online available (apparently, online reservations don't guarantee your preferred room type). We were told it is better to reserve by phone (using a Dream Card if possible) to ensure the desired room and a better rate. Fortunately, we were upgraded.

Room: Had a king corner room which was spacious including a comfortable bed and sitting area. The bathroom was nice but the toilet flush sounded like a 747 taking off! The room was clean and did smell a bit of cigarettes despite being a non-smoking room. Nice ceiling to floor windows with a view of the endless forest. Quiet at night.

Food: So many choices, how to decide when you're only staying one night? We had supper at the Golden Dragon and enjoyed some of the best Pad Thai we've ever had. For lunch, Burke in the Box was a great choice as we were hitting the road to our next port of call.

Casino: We donated money at each of the casinos on the property and enjoyed every minute of it. Contrary to some other reviews, we had no problem finding low-stakes tables to play at.

Shopping: Liked the Rolex store, which is one of the largest in the US!

• Liked — So many food choices!
  • Disliked — slight smoke odour in room
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Raerton
Massachusetts
Reviewed August 10, 2008

First let me say that we are not regular gamblers, but every once in a while we like to get away for the night and have been going to Mohegan Sun when they had $99 a night room specials, mid-week. I was in for a shock with their summer prices so decided to give Foxwoods a try. I guess if you can afford to gamble, you should be able to afford the cost of an overnight stay. But I just don't understand why casinos charge so much for, what I feel was an ordinary hotel room, when you are most likely going to leave a lot of money to them by gambling. I must add that it was $100 less than what Mohegan Sun wanted for one of their rooms for the same night, so I guess we can consider it a bargain in that respect. It was advertised as a 4 Diamond hotel so I really expected something extravagant. The room wasn't really any better than some other chain hotels we've stayed at. We had a room with a king size bed on the 10th floor. The view was mostly of other parts of the hotel, roofs, and woods off in the distance. I couldn't understand why they had a door to a very skinny balcony when it was locked at top and bottom. Not that I think we'd have fit out there other than just to stand on it. The coffee maker they had only made one cup of coffee and they only left two packages of coffee, so that's one cup each for a couple. The bathroom was huge and very impressive, but the main part, the sleeping area was the usual bed, desk, chair, TV. Bath amenities were also no better than we've had in other hotels. What I'm getting at, is what qualifies a room for a 4 Diamond status? I must have missed something. Checkout was also advertised for noon during the week but they blacked that out and wrote in 11 am. The room was clean overall, but the rug was stained so it took away from the overall look. I was dissappointed, expecting something really grand. I really didn't care much for the way the casinos were laid out, access being a little confusing, but that's a different topic. Probably would not return for annother overnight stay unless they had a "special".

• Liked — convience for our one night of gambling
  • Disliked — cost
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mo32
PA/NJ
Reviewed July 21, 2008

I booked a AAA rate room for three nights. The room on the 16th floor of the Grand Pequoet tower was very spacious; and had a nice view of the woods; and other buildings. It had a mini-fridge; king bed; and large soaking tub. The entire experience from check in to check out was pleasant. All the employees were friendly. I used the indoor pool, spa; played Bingo and video poker. All great. I would recommend Foxwoods and the GP tower to anyone looking for a mini-getaway.

• Liked — The room and layout of the complex
  • Disliked — Not winning in the casinos.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank jessicak76
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 2, 2008

We stayed here free courtesy of my parents and their crazy amount of points! Had so much fun. At first they put us on the 12th floor, but I will not ride in elevators to they kindly moved us to the 7th floor. Still quite a climb, but we dealt with us. (Some of us more willing than others lol) Got a lot of exercise this weekend! Didn't win much money, but that's expected. Will definitely return hopefully sometime this summer!

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank vadisrad
New England
Reviewed July 1, 2008

Stayed for one night with friends and didn't plan to spend a lot of time in our room. However, it was my first time staying at the Grand Pequot and I was very pleased and wished I had more time to spend in the room. I was too busy winning that night, so I barely slept in the bed. I guess that is a good thing! The room was a deluxe one, I am assuming with a size larger than standard. There was ample space which didn't make the furniture seem cramped. We had 2 double beds and they were nicely made. Furniture was nice and everything was very clean. There was a desk and a small breakfast table. There was also a mini refrigerator that was empty so we could store our leftovers in. That was a good thing. Although, I did not sleep that long in the bed, it was in fact quite comfortable. The bathroom was spacious with a large vanity area and sink and a marble shower/tub that was nice. Bath amenities were nice and high quality toiletries were from Dorothy Prentice and smelled very nice. They even provided you with a new heavy duty, lace trimmed new shower cap instead of the usual cellophane disposable one from most hotels. The only bathroom annoyance was the toilet flush. Yes, it is powerful, which should be good, but it is extremely loud and would wake someone up if they were asleep, even with the door closed. There are bottles of water provided, but beware they cost $3.00 each if you decide to consume them. We were lucky and found a convenient hotel elevator that put us right on the Grand Pequot Casino floor. I think there is another main hotel elevator, but you have to walk a ways to the casino. Overall, this hotel stay was very pleasant with the comforts of luxury and I have already booked to stay here again in a few weeks!

• Liked — Spacious room and easy access to casino floor
  • Disliked — The loud toilet flush
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank BigTimeTravelers
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 25, 2008

The suite on the 19th floor of the Grand Pequot Towers was large, comfortable & nicely decorated with all the comforts of home & more! The front room had an octagon-shaped wet bar with fridge & coffee maker, 2 comfortable couches & a stuffed chair. There was a large glass table in between. The large flat-screened TV, VCR, DVD & speakers were housed in a large cabinet. There was also a desk & chair & internet connection. There was a half bath off that room & a closet with iron/board.

The bedroom was also large & clean with a king bed, round table & 2 chairs & another super large cabinet/closet combination with another flat-screen TV & a super large safe. The bathroom off the bedroom was large & impressive & had a jetted tub & glassed in shower. The granite counters were spacious & the soaps & toiletries provided were very nice. There were plenty of extra towels & they also provide bathrobes.

The view from the large windows in the room was beautiful. There was plenty of room to entertain friends.

Stayed May 2008
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mashantucket
The Fox Tower at Foxwoods
Hilton Garden Inn Preston Casino Area
Bellissimo Grande Hotel
Bellissimo Grande Hotel
#1 of 5 in North Stonington

Been to Grand Pequot Tower? Share your experiences!