“Not really 4-Diamond”
Review of Grand Pequot Tower

Grand Pequot Tower
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Mashantucket
Reviewed September 5, 2012

The rooms are large, it is convenient, and we did have a nice view, but it is definitely overpriced. I don't expect a carpet with several stains in a 4-diamond hotel. The complimentary in-room coffee is awful. Again, for what you pay it could be better. They are lucky that there isn't much compitition nearby.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank blondie16

Reviewed September 1, 2012 via mobile

We recently had a wonderful stay at the grand Pequot. A few months ago we had stayed and were not pleased with our stay and the customer service we recieved. The staff encourged us to stay again because our experience was not typical for their property. My husband & I were happy we tried the hotel again. This visit we recieved 5 star service every staff member we encounter was pleasant and helpful. Megan checked us in and she was friendly, helpful, and made our check in experience a pleasure. Our room was clean and had a great view of the MGM Grand. Based on this great experience we will be visiting again!!!!

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I stayed here for a week, and while I wouldn't say it was 100% bad, it was far from nice.
Check in was fine, but my 19th floor "quiet" room had a service area on one side, but the mattress was comfy. We ate at Scorpion Bar the first few nights, and it was ok. They have great drinks and the service is pretty good, but we were greeted each time by the bouncer with a "you're ok." The cliche of "fancy club" is a bit much when it's empty. We tried to get drinks there on Thursday, when we were told that there was a cover charge for entry. Laughing, we looked inside at the empty bar and told the bouncer he should be paying us to come in.. He then told us we could just go in (no charge), but that was enough for us to look elsewhere for our after-work drink. My pregnant wife joined me part way through the stay, and when she called down for 4 extra pillows (need to prop the tummy), she was told that she was only allowed to have 2 extra. Really? You're going to limit the number of flimsy pillows you give a guest, let alone a pregnant lady?! As referenced on several of my other reviews, my room service breakfast has a few custom requests. Even omitting the custom request errors, room service got my order wrong EVERY DAY. No spenda one day, no honey any of the days, large coffee instead of small, no spoon for the yogurt (or to stir the coffee?)... They really got the basics wrong. Room service also closes between 11pm and 6am. When working, I get back to my room after 11pm, and need breakfast between 5:30 and 6am. I made it work, but such a large hotel should really have 24 hour room service. Also be weary of the very conservative alcohol rules on the reservation; only 1 drink at a time, per person (you can't order another until you've drank every drop of your current drink), and early last calls (varies by day). We were fed several days by event catering, and while I'm very used to "ballroom food," this is the first I've mentioned it in a review, and not for a good reason. Over-all it was pretty bad, tasteless, and oily (was that fish or chicken?)...
My wife enjoyed her pre-natal massage in the spa, which she described as average.
On the last night my wife and I had a date night at Paragon, and we were very pleased. This is truly a fine dining restaurant, and my review of this specific place is based on different standards then the hotel-
I ordered wine, and my wife sparkling water (pregnant and all), and the waiter took the care to present the drinks together so she didn't feel like she was stuck drinking water (even though she was). We took the waiter's recommendations and I started with oysters, which we REALLY good. I don't even remember what my wife had to start, I enjoyed my oysters so much. I had the Mero Sea Bass, which was perfectly prepared and went very well with the wine the waiter recommended. My wife had the halibut, which was a bit overcooked (bad for halibut), but she enjoyed and finished it. Dessert of the soufflé was fantastic, and perfectly cooked. Service was great, and our after dinner drink at the bar was great, and the bar tender was a pro, making my old fashioned exactly the way I like it (no cherries).
Back to the hotel review- we went to gamble a little, and we had a hard time finding the smoke free table games. After walking about 15 minutes and getting 2 sets of directions, we located them and I settle in on some video poker while my wife plays craps. After about 45 minutes I realized I needed some water, and no cocktail service had gone by. I flagged down a slot attendant, who said someone should be by in a few minutes. Finally she went to go get someone; when he came over, I asked if I could order something and he walked by without saying anything (passing within arms length). I looked at the slot attendant, who looked shocked herself. He came back about 10 seconds later and (literally) shoved a beer in my face (within 6 inches). When I asked "what is this?" he answered "it's what your gonna get" and walked away. Looking at the slot attendant again, she began to apologize and I asked her to just get his name. It was Scott, so if you see him serving drinks in the casino, go ahead and congratulate him on making the review and being immortalized on trip advisor.
They gave me a 1 hour late checkout (asked for 2), and of course no one came to the room 2 1/2 hours after the original checkout time... I stopped to get my folio on the way out, which took 15 minutes since there was only 3 people working the front desk. My last impression was great, which was a shame, when the bellman gave us great directions to avoid side roads heading west.
But that was ironic, the best service we received (except Paragon) was on the way out.

Room Tip: I didn't find one.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 27, 2012

the room was very nice, well equipped, and clean. Nice comfortable bed. Refrigerator, large television, internet access, coffee maker, iron and ironing board, hairdryer, and normal sundries included. Coffee shop (dunkin donuts) on casino floor made for a convenient snack stop.
It was a fun and exciting place, Plenty of stuff to see, bring your walking shoes!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Esoterica10
Reviewed August 23, 2012

We enjoyed the hotel's elegant layout, first class. It was all there--places to eat, gamble, theaters, food court, and late night things to do. No need to move your car. Free valet parking (so tip). Quick check-in.
The Pequot Museum was truly the best ever. (There was a free shuttle to the museum, too.) It was amazing with all that technology. We were there for about 2+ hours for $15 and enjoyed every minute.
The Grand Pequot Tower is a place to go again and again. I particularly loved the spacious hotel room and unbelievably comfortable bed. There was a frig, a nice table for eating, and two closet areas. Next time, I will check out the spa. Try the Golden Dragon restaurant, too. The food and service was the best. Dunkin Donuts for breakfast, perfect.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view, we did and got a great view
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 23, 2012

a group of us took a weekend bus trip to foxwoods and we all stayed at this hotel the room we had was fantastic.Staff was great , so much to do we did not even have time to go check out MGM maybe next time. I would highly recomend this hotel

Room Tip: we stayed on the 14th floor beautiful view
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Seven of us went to Foxwoods for a birthday weekend! We stayed at Grand Pequot and it was wonderful. Rooms were clean. Staff was very friendly and accomodating. They couldn't give us adjoining rooms, but we were across the hall from each other. Didn't have time to check out the pool. When we go back to Foxwoods, I would stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mashantucket
The Fox Tower at Foxwoods
#1 of 4 in Uncasville
Two Trees Inn
Two Trees Inn
#4 of 4 in Mashantucket

Been to Grand Pequot Tower? Share your experiences!