“Amazing museum”

Mashantucket Pequot Museum & Research Center
More attraction details
Owner description: The Pequot Museum, located in an ancient cedar forest minutes away from Foxwoods Resort Casino, is the largest Native American museum of its kind in the world.
Reviewed July 12, 2014

We brought our grandchildren here recently and they loved it! From walking through the Glacial Crevasse, to spending time at the Pequot Village (you can easily spend an hour in this one exhibit) to watching the excellent documentary/movie about the Pequot tribe, there was so much to see the kids did not want to leave. Truthfully, my wife and I felt the same way.

I highly recommend that if you do visit the museum, plan to stay for a good portion of the day. If you only have a couple of hours, it would be best to start with the Pequot Village. (btw. . I saw an earlier review while posting my review, and I seriously do wonder if those women went to the right museum.)

Reviewed July 9, 2014

After reading all the positive reviews I had high hopes for this museum. What a let down. We paid 20.00 a piece and we both agreed it was a waste of money. I do have to say the facility is really amazing, then it all went down hill. I have been to a wide variety of museums and this one just doesn't come close to others we have visited. We both felt we didn't learn anything about this tribe, nor any tribe. I guess this just was not for us. Really disappointing.

3  Thank travelchiks
pequotmuseum, Marketing Manager at Mashantucket Pequot Museum & Research Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2014

We are sorry to hear that you are not satisfied with your visit to the Pequot Museum. The photo on your profile that links to this review was taken at Foxwoods Resort Casino. The Pequot Museum has an information center at Foxwoods which some people have mistaken as the Museum. I hope that didn't happen to you. We have the results of hundreds of visitor surveys and they are almost unanimous in praise for our world-class, award-winning facility. It’s the world’s largest Native American museum with 85,000 square feet of exhibit space that depicts 20,000 years of the natural and Native history of this area, including a detailed, life-size, walk-through 16th c. Pequot Village. If you actually did come to the Museum, a short drive from Foxwoods, and were not satisfied with your visit, please let us know why so that we can take steps to improve our services.

Reviewed July 9, 2014

My daughter's school took her here on a trip, and she loved it. So when we decided to spend a weekend in Mystic, we came to the museum too. I am so glad we did. The museum is very engaging. The life size dioramas were fascinating and give you an up close and in person feel. I also loved the exhibit on current members of the Pequot people. Also there were a lot of places to sit down, which my feet really appreciated.

There is a cafeteria on the fourth floor, but it had a rather lean selection. We went to the casino nearby to eat, which had a lot of choices.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

Being in a wheelchair doesn't always allow me to go many places e s. This museum is done so well and explains everything so that you can understand the history. It is completely wheelchair accessible.

2  Thank Zingara1
Reviewed June 30, 2014

My husband and I spent 2 nights at the end of May at Foxwoods. We enjoyed Foxwoods but the real gem was the museum. Beside the wonderful exhibits and videos of the ways of Pequots, there is a re-creation of a village with life-like models of the Native Americans involved in their everyday activities. This is a massive village that seems to cover about an acre of area. The model people are so real, they seem to be watching you! We spent 2 hours at the museum and could have spent more if we hadn't needed lunch. Don't miss it!