“The Single Worst Customer Experience I've Ever Had”

Mashantucket Pequot Museum & Research Center
More attraction details
Owner description: The Pequot Museum, located in an ancient cedar forest minutes away from Foxwoods Resort Casino, is the largest Native American museum of its kind in the world.
Chicago
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“The Single Worst Customer Experience I've Ever Had”
Reviewed October 16, 2013

On October 3, at the Pequot museum, I experienced the worst treatment I've ever received as a paying customer. Midway through the recommended visitors' route is an auditorium which shows a film about local 17th century warfare. The showtimes are irregular and are only posted on the door of the auditorium (not at the museum entrance or on the handout visitors are given), so visitors have no way of planning ahead to arrive at the start of a show. There is nothing to say late entrance is not allowed. I happened to reach there only a couple of minutes after the film had started. As I reached to open the door, a woman seated on the opposite side of the otherwise deserted hallway, who was dressed in ordinary clothes and not wearing any kind of badge or ID, and who was sipping a paper cup of coffee (what? yes, inside the museum -- strange) called out, "management doesn't want you to go in there." I said, "what?" She repeated, "management doesn't want you to go in there -- the film has already started." I walked over to where she was sitting and said, "The management? The same management who --" At this point, she interrupted me -- not even allowing me to get one sentence out -- and said, "You can't talk to me that way." I said, "You spoke to me first. I'm just trying to say -- " and then she again interrupted me, saying, "I'm going to go up front and get you thrown out right now! You are a loser!," and walked away, in the direction of the exit. As she left, I said, "Just leave me alone!" That is the sum total of what I said. I never threatened her verbally, physically, or in any other way. I then walked into the theater, sat down, and began quietly watching the film. Several other visitors entered the theater after I did. Someone in the audience was loudly shouting comments, such as "that's my home town!" but no one attempted to quiet or eject him. In about five minutes, a man walked up behind me and ordered me to come with him. This turned out to be a security guard. The guard did not ask me any questions. He also several times refused to answer the questions I asked him as we walked. The woman was standing in the hallway as we exited the theater, but she walked away again before I could speak to her about what was happening. The guard never attempted to learn my version of what had happened. Before he even spoke to me, he had decided that he was going to make me leave the museum. When we reached the ticket counter, I stated that I wanted to speak to the person in charge. The guard stated that he was in charge of the museum and there was no one else I could talk to. After a few minutes, a manager appeared. I told him what had happened. The guard said that two independent witnesses had separately approached him and told him that I was "abusive" to the woman. This can't be true, as the woman and I were alone in the hallway, and I was not abusive to her -- I was just minding my own business when she spoke to me and attempted to control my visit. The guard himself witnessed nothing and made no attempt to ask me what had happened. They did not give me any kind of caution or warning, but instead insisted that I leave the museum right then and there. The manager took my name and address and promised to investigate what had happened and write me a letter in response. It's been two weeks, and I have had no contact from the museum. I work with the public, and we don't treat people this way. My advice is: DON'T GO THERE UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE TREATED BADLY AND HAVE YOUR VACATION RUINED.

Visited October 2013
4 Thank Hubert T

Mystic, Connecticut
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Natural History here in CT”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I brought my young grandchildren for a tour of the Museum - it's an absolutely gorgeous place. Wonderful exhibits. An entire Indian village has been recreated, and dioramas of Native Americans hunting, fishing and farming. Don't miss the elevator to the top of the tower for a panoramic view of the region - exquisite!

Visited August 2013
Florida
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“Very Well Done!”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

My wife home schools our children while we are traveling the US. This was well worth the stop as the museum is very well done. The information is provided in many formats, some you read, some are movies and others are spoken word over a hand held speaker. Our boys 10 and 11 had a great time and learned a lot.

Visited October 2013
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Informative, Interactive”
Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

Been wanting to visit this place and finally had the opportunity. got free tickets courtesy of smithsonian museum day
Realistic and interactive way of learning about history, culture, geography, nature. Stayed for more than 2 hrs.
Hands on learning with exhibits.

Visited September 2013
Westmoreland, New Hampshire
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Excellent!”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

This is a wonderfully done exhibit of Native Indian life in the New England area. The displays and information provided are extremely informative and represent very well life during that time.

Visited September 2013