“Great Cedar Hotel”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Mashantucket
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
“Great Cedar Hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2009

My mother and I stayed at the Great Cedar Hotel for one night. This was my first stay at the Great Cedar, and I think I like it better than Grand Pequot Hotel. The hotel room was good size with 2 double beds, a breakfast table with 2 chairs, a writing desk, flat screen TV, iron and ironing board, in-room safe, coffee maker, and a mini refridgerator. The bathroom has a tub/shower and a sink with a counter. There is also a sink and mirror right outside the bathroom, which is a nice touch. The windows in the room opened a little, which I really liked. The hotel elevator and escalator both bring you right out at the food area and next to the Great Cedar casino.

We ordered room service from a card that you hang on the door the night before. You can pick a time you want it delivered. Room service was very prompt.

There were a few minor things I did not like. The double beds were short. I am 5'2", so it was not a problem for me, but could be a problem for someone tall. I would guess that the double beds are around 5'7" or so long. I had to slide back towards the headboard more so that my feet would not hang over the end. We checked in on a holiday, so they would not let us in the hotel before 5:00 pm. I would have liked to have brought our suitcases to the room and not have to worry about going back to get the room keyes. Other then these couple of issues, we had no complaints and would stay there again.

• Liked — Convenience to the casino and food area.
  • Disliked — Short double beds.
  • Stayed January 2009
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Haverhill, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2008

We stood at the Foxwoods Grand Cedar for one night. The room was clean and though nice, it was not over done. The bed was fine and we got a good nights sleep. However, the rooms are not like the rooms at the MGM Grand next door. They are just as high priced, but not as fancy. If you are looking for luxury, stay at the MGM. If you can get a good deal and simply want to stay at the casino then the Grand Cedar is fine. TIP: There isn't a mini bar in the room here.. There is a fridge with two bottles of water at $3.00 per bottle, where as the MGM Grand was filled with several options.. of course, all at a price.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — pretty casino grounds, but the rooms do not stand up to the casino atmosphere
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank DMS22676
Springfield, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2008

We spent Labor Day weekend at Foxwoods and were let down by the casino(s). The Great Cedar Hotel was great; conveniently located, easy valet parking and check-in, and very clean. However the gaming property itself was disappointing, as we had heard this place had the best gambling on the east coast.

We play almost strictly penny slots, for entertainment only, so big-time gamblers who play higher limits to win may have a great time here. However us small-potatoes folks didn't have much to choose from. The casino boasts over 7,000 slot machines, but very few were pennies, and you had to search for them and they were spread out all over the place, a couple here, a couple there. Most of the video slots were 2, 5 and 25 cents. On Saturday night, the place was so packed, it was very hard to get a penny machine, let alone two beside each other.

They have strict alcohol rules, and you couldn't walk from casino to casino with a drink or take one to your room. They didn't have many bars (Great Cedar casino didn't have one at all), and beers were $4.75 pre-tip. The waitresses served beer (whatever they had, not even sure what brand) in 6 oz. cups, which were free (plus tip), but again you had to wait on that and 6 oz. doesn't last long.

The lines for the restaurants were all too long for us to even sit down and try anything, but this was probably because it was a holiday weekend. We usually ended up eating wherever had the shortest line at the food court (which had no beer either, only soft drinks and coffee).

Our only complaint about the Great Cedar Hotel is we had to beg to get an extra hour at checkout. They originally wanted to charge $85 to let us stay 'til noon, but my husband read them the riot act so we finally got it. We left on a Monday, so I know there couldn't have been a capacity issue. We paid full price (total was over $500) for two nights, so we thought that was a little tight-fisted.

All in all it was an average experience, and certainly not worth the travel for us from Ohio. In the future we will just return to the Indiana riverboats and save on flights and rooms because the gambling there is more for people like us.

• Liked — Hotel
  • Disliked — Overrated casino
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank annl0722
Oxford, Connecticut
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2008

We usually stay at the Grand Pequot Towers but decided to check out the Great Cedar since we were able to get a rate for only $65.00 per night. Check in was easy and fast - in fact there was no line at 5:00 pm on Monday when we arrived. Stayed in a 2 double bed non smoking room.

Room was large enough but the double beds were the shortest double beds we've ever slept in! I am only 5'2" and my feet just about hung off the end of the bed.

The bathroom was your typical hotel bathroom. One plus however was that there was a second sink outside. Worked good when there were four of us in the room.

Another plus was the windows actually opened. Nice to get some fresh air on a cool summer night.

Television appeared to be a recently upgraded plasma. ONE WORD OF CAUTION - no matter how low you left the volume when you turned it off the night before, when you turn it on again the volume resets itself to LOUD! Couldn't sneak the tv on in the morning to catch the early news without waking everyone up.

The location of the hotel within the casino is another plus, it is close to the action and centrally located.

The pool area was small and dark - pool and hot tub in the main room. Each locker room also had a steam room and it's own hot tub. The gym, while free, was pretty small and basic. If you have young children, this is the pool that stays open to kids from 6:30 to 9:00 when the Grand Pequot pool turns into an adult only faciltiy at that time.

It was definately worth the 65.00 per night we were charged, and may stay again in a King bed room.

Given the choice of spending a few $$ more, I think I would pick the deep marble soaking tub and longer double beds at the Grand Pequot.

• Liked — Central location to most of the action
  • Disliked — Bed are way too short, bathroom not as
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank ctbasketlady

Travelers are raving about these Mashantucket hotels

PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2008

I have stayed at Foxwoods many times and this time I finally got to stay a Great Cedar.. The room was all redone and looked so nice...The bathroom is average but I like that they have another sink area outside the bathroom ..The location is great too you get off the elevator and you are right by the restaurants ,shoping area and casino...The staff at Great Cedar seemed more friendly then at the other hotels...I am going back very soon and I made sure I get to stay at Great Cedar.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank sweetpoison76
Long Island, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2008

My fiance and I stayed at the Foxwoods Great Cedar Hotel for his birthday from the 20th - 22nd and received outstanding service. Check in was smooth and easy and went quickly. We checked in at 8:09 and were still able to make our 8:30 reservation at the Paragon restaurant in the Pequot hotel, which by the way is phenomenal food and service! The room was very large, we had a king room, and the bathroom was extra nice as there was an additional sink area just outside the regular bath. Housekeeping kept the room spotless, and room service was impeccable. We called for a sewing kit and received it instantly, and ordered room service and it was up and served within a half hour. Great great great location of the hotel. If taking the elevator you walk right out into the restaurants area, and are about 2 minutes away from the rainmaker casino, the main casino with all the table games and just above the world poker tour room. We did have an issue with a lost credit card, but Security handled it instantly and in now way marred our trip. We would definitely not hesitate to stay there again! As a matter of fact we are considering heading there for my upcoming birthday! The only remote dissapointment was upon opening the huge TV cabinet, a very small TV, but you're not really there to watch the TV, so no big deal. It is a bit costlier than some other hotels in the area, but well worth it for the convenience off being able to go to and from your room whenever you want.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing not to like!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Snugglez043
Boston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2008

My father and I stayed in the Great Cedar hotel on a Friday night. The room was clean and comfortable, we were on a low floor but the views are all just woods no matter how high up you are. The hotel was very quiet and we were not bothered by any noise. I liked that we had windows you could open for some fresh air. There were multiple lighting options in the room for reading or whatever. The bathroom was average size but very clean.

One minor point is that there are no queen beds at Foxwoods, they are double beds. This was not a big deal for us, but it might be a problem for two couples trying to share a room.

I was surprised that Foxwoods was not crowded on this particular Friday. We enjoyed the show we saw very much and the casino was good to me. All of the staff people were helpful - we were able to check in early and our room was ready.

The biggest problem I have with Foxwoods is that the casino is totally geared toward slots, poker and Asian gaming. If you play the more traditional table games and you're not a high roller, you have very few tables available, although their blackjack rules are good. There is also very little video poker except for a few banks of machines shoved in the back next to the Keno lounge, and the paytables are poor (e.g., 7/5 JOB).

Also, you are not supposed to bring a drink from the casino out into the "hallway" areas where the shops and restaurants are, because children are permitted in those areas. This means that technically you can't carry a drink to and from your hotel room, though in practice you can get away with it if you're subtle about it.

Many of the staff at Foxwoods are from Eastern Europe and it is interesting to talk to them about where they come from and their impressions of the US.

• Liked — The room was very clean and comfortable.
  • Disliked — Double beds and of course, the high prices.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank stratton
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mashantucket
The Fox Tower at Foxwoods
Bellissimo Grande Hotel
Bellissimo Grande Hotel
#1 of 5 in North Stonington
Hilton Garden Inn Preston Casino Area

Been to Great Cedar Hotel at Foxwoods? Share your experiences!