“Foxwoods Rocks!”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Mashantucket
Long Island, NY
“Foxwoods Rocks!”
Reviewed June 25, 2008

My fiance and I stayed at the Foxwoods Great Cedar Hotel for his birthday from the 20th - 22nd and received outstanding service. Check in was smooth and easy and went quickly. We checked in at 8:09 and were still able to make our 8:30 reservation at the Paragon restaurant in the Pequot hotel, which by the way is phenomenal food and service! The room was very large, we had a king room, and the bathroom was extra nice as there was an additional sink area just outside the regular bath. Housekeeping kept the room spotless, and room service was impeccable. We called for a sewing kit and received it instantly, and ordered room service and it was up and served within a half hour. Great great great location of the hotel. If taking the elevator you walk right out into the restaurants area, and are about 2 minutes away from the rainmaker casino, the main casino with all the table games and just above the world poker tour room. We did have an issue with a lost credit card, but Security handled it instantly and in now way marred our trip. We would definitely not hesitate to stay there again! As a matter of fact we are considering heading there for my upcoming birthday! The only remote dissapointment was upon opening the huge TV cabinet, a very small TV, but you're not really there to watch the TV, so no big deal. It is a bit costlier than some other hotels in the area, but well worth it for the convenience off being able to go to and from your room whenever you want.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing not to like!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Snugglez043

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Boston
Reviewed April 14, 2008

My father and I stayed in the Great Cedar hotel on a Friday night. The room was clean and comfortable, we were on a low floor but the views are all just woods no matter how high up you are. The hotel was very quiet and we were not bothered by any noise. I liked that we had windows you could open for some fresh air. There were multiple lighting options in the room for reading or whatever. The bathroom was average size but very clean.

One minor point is that there are no queen beds at Foxwoods, they are double beds. This was not a big deal for us, but it might be a problem for two couples trying to share a room.

I was surprised that Foxwoods was not crowded on this particular Friday. We enjoyed the show we saw very much and the casino was good to me. All of the staff people were helpful - we were able to check in early and our room was ready.

The biggest problem I have with Foxwoods is that the casino is totally geared toward slots, poker and Asian gaming. If you play the more traditional table games and you're not a high roller, you have very few tables available, although their blackjack rules are good. There is also very little video poker except for a few banks of machines shoved in the back next to the Keno lounge, and the paytables are poor (e.g., 7/5 JOB).

Also, you are not supposed to bring a drink from the casino out into the "hallway" areas where the shops and restaurants are, because children are permitted in those areas. This means that technically you can't carry a drink to and from your hotel room, though in practice you can get away with it if you're subtle about it.

Many of the staff at Foxwoods are from Eastern Europe and it is interesting to talk to them about where they come from and their impressions of the US.

• Liked — The room was very clean and comfortable.
  • Disliked — Double beds and of course, the high prices.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank stratton
new york
Reviewed February 5, 2008

just stayed a night at the great cedar hotel at foxwoods with my wife and two kids during super bowl weekend. foxwoods is now comprised of three hotels, soon to be four with the addition of mgm in the summer. the grand pequot and great cedar are on property, while two trees is not. i booked the great cedar on expedia, which came out to $400 after taxes, as the foxwoods site didn't have any space left at the on-property hotels.

the room itself was pleasant. they have a turquoise color scheme to them which doesn't really look native american indian, but pleasant enough. the beds and pillows were very comfortable. we originally checked in around 1pm and they had a room at the end. when the lady said it was a far walk down the hall, she wasn't kidding. after we came back from lunch, there was a party going on in the room next to us. we hung around the room to refresh and when we went out to dinner, the party was still going on and i saw a young lady carrying an armful of beers from her room across the hall to the room next to us. that's when i decided to change rooms and the front desk accomodated us very nicely. i have no problems with parties, but i had a feeling that would have gone on all night.

we decided to go swimming with the kids and checked out both the pools (both small) in our hotel and the grand pequot. the grand pequot pool was just a little bigger, more crowded, and had the spa right next door. the great cedar pool was empty, clean, and had sauna/steam/locker rooms, which i preferred. everything was nice except for the fact that they kept opening a back door, which let all the cold air in. if you were in the pool, it really made it chillier and uncomfortable. so we asked the girl to close the door and she happily did. however, another attendant came in and opened the door again. he gave us major attitude when we asked him to close the door. he said they had to "air out the chlorine" but then we had to argue with him that the kids would get sick and it was downright unpleasant.

fuddrucker's for lunch was good, except that it took us 30 minutes for us to order and get seated. we ate at panera's for dinner and when i placed my order, they ran out of a lot of stuff. it was pretty inexcusable to run out of bread at a bread specialty restaurant. next, we took the kids to the ben & jerry's. the line was a little long, but nothing terrible. they had two guys working and it took 45 minutes to get our ice cream. it just left me shaking my head. i actually enjoyed the buffet, which i ate at during my previous gambling trips to foxwoods.

the casino was very crowded and the casino under the great cedar hotel was all slots. the only table games were at grand pequot and the rainmaker casino. basically, foxwoods is a smoking casino. all the main lobby areas are smoking sections, but the smoke gets everywhere. in the end, i felt that foxwoods makes so much money on the casino, they forget a lot of the little details. i know that it was the weekend, and superbowl weekend at that, but they obviously know that it will get crowded and should have stepped up a little more. i enjoy travelling with my kids, and i enjoy gambling, but foxwoods is definitely geared more for adults. they did have a kids arcade which kept the kids busy for a little while. mohegan sun is definitely a little kid friendlier.

• Liked — comfortable beds
  • Disliked — too much waiting
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank nypenman
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 16, 2007

Stayed at Great Cedar Hotel as a 2 night stopover, with 2 teenage kids. Great rooms, not a hint of smoke, and a great view of the swamp (over the parking lot) . Hotel amenities are good , we used both Pools and Spa, great choice of (expensive )restaurants, although at the buffet the cashier was so surprised that we didn't have a Wampum discount, she gave it to us anyway , so 4 ate for the price of 2 ! Having kids we couldn't set foot in the casino but that seemed to be full of elderly, obese, smokers anyway. Recommend the Sports Grill and Bar, which is relatively out of the way, not well signposted, but does great food and drinks, and the 24 hour cafe in the lobby of the Pequot Tower which does a cheaper breakfast buffet than the Festival buffet. Would have liked to get to a Show, but none suitable when we were there. Overall, you know what you're getting with a Casino hotel, if you can make the most of what the gamblers are subsidising, then why not ?

• Liked — Room
  • Disliked — Too many elderly obese
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank paulrb
NY
Reviewed June 12, 2007

You don't have much of a choice when it comes to sleeping at Foxwoods. I was happy with my choice at the Great Cedar Hotel. It was 4 of us total in a suite with 2 beds, a couch, and cot at $60/each. The room was real nice, had wet bar (soda and water) bath/jacuzzi, shower with two bathrooms total.

Everything was clean, in working order, with a great view. You really can't go wrong. The food choices are limited, but Fuddruckers is the way to go.

The atmosphere is an attempt to honor the traditions of the Native American tribe, and it's done tasteful enough. I liked the aquarium in the lobby- nice touch.

The casino itself was great. There wasn't the smoke filled rooms I expected. I stayed mostly in the poker room (1/2 NL) where there was no wait for Thursday night or Friday afternoon with new tables opening constantly.

The dealers varied, but plenty of friendly and helpful staff both on the casino floor and in the hotel, including the front desk who gave all four of us our own key.

Definitely pick up a rewards card, you can buy food at most of the stores at the casino.

I would definitely go again.

• Liked — Cleanliness- heard horrible things that never lived up to the hype
  • Disliked — It is in the middle of nowhere
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank u13eoch
North New Jersey
Reviewed December 27, 2006

I was not impressed at all. Since this was my first time to a casino and gambling, I really didn't have too many expectations and even with that, I feel let down.

I stayed in the Great Cedar for 3 nights and 4 days. There was NOTHING else to do or in the area, other than gambling, therefore by the 3rd day I was ready to go home and would have if it was not Christmas. They did not even have pool tables there. I would have gone to the bar down the road if I didn't have to deal with getting my car out of the valet.

I got hooked on the slots as soon as I showed up and happened to win $500 on a slot machine. Unfortunately that was the extent of my winnings for the most part.

The Great Cedar was conviniently located above most of the action, so it wasn't a far walk/elevator ride. I ate at both the Veranda Cafe and the Festival Buffet. The Veranda Cafe was moderately priced and the food was pretty good. The buffet was so so, but I can't complain since I used my Wampum points every time I ate there. If I was paying out of pocket, I am not sure I would have gone there so much.

The two other people I was with did not win much or anything on the slots, therefore it appears that it's true that the machines are a little tight (minus my random win).

The population included a lot of Asians, who were quite rude, so that was a major downfall of our trip.

I also did not appreciate the fact that they only served alcohol until 1 and it was almost impossible getting a drink. Aren't casinos supposed to practically pour the alcohol down your throat so you spend more? I ended up sitting at the sports bar and put a couple dollars in the bar machine so that I could get a fresh, strong drink for free, whenever I wanted.

The place is big, so I advise bringing comfortable shoes. For some reason I thought that it would be somewhat upscale, so I brought dressier clothes/shoes, which was a bad choice. The only time I used them was when I went to Mohegan Sun for dinner at Michael Jordan's Steakhouse (which was good, but very pricey). I wish I had stayed there, the atmosphere was so much nicer, but unfortunately it would have cost alot more to stay there the days of my trip.

Also I have felt lightheaded and dizzy since I left there days ago. Someone advised me that they pump oxygen into the casinos there. Something isn't right though and I still don't feel right.

I do not recommend this place to anyone. If I'm going to drive 3 hours to a casino, I might as well go to Atlantic City, since I'm from Jersey and have heard that it's much better anyway. Not to mention casinos there will take coupons and discounts.

• Liked — The room rates were not bad.
  • Disliked — Some of the staff was quite rude.
  • Tips/Secrets — Go to Mohegan Sun instead.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
4 Thank Michelle-1523

Travelers are raving about these Mashantucket hotels

Massachusetts
Reviewed September 9, 2006

My husband and I have been going to Foxwoods for years. We usually stay at the Grand Pequot, but decided to try The Great Cedar for a change. We liked the Art Deco-type rooms, but the front desk clerks seem to have a problem with common sense.
I read the review of the woman who had such a hard time with the Great Cedar front desk years ago. Our visit was in July of this year, so things have not changed.
We had 2 rooms reserved, one for our friend and one for us. We arrived around 1PM and were told one of the adjoining rooms were ready, but not the other. We went up to our friends room to put our luggage there until our room was ready. The maid was cleaning our room when we dropped off our luggage. We went up to the casino and played and at 2PM I went to get our room keys. The front desk said our room wasn't clean yet. I told her the maid had been cleaning it at 1PM, so it should be done by now. She said she was sorry, but the computer didn't say it was done. So, I went back up to the casino and played til 3PM and went back to the front desk for our keys. Again she said our room was not ready. I asked to talk to the desk manager and she came out and she was sorry, but the maid had not checked off the room as cleaned. I tried to explain to her that I knew it was cleaned because I saw her with my own eyes at 1PM cleaning our room.
I'm not that great about ranting and raving sooooooooo off to the casino til 4PM at which time the same desk manager was there and decided after checking the computer again there must be some MISTAKE. Well, I told them that a few hours ago, but they were not listening.
From now on we will be staying at the Grand Pequot where we have better service and are listened to if we have a problem. It's amazing to me that both of these hotels are in the same casino, but can be so different in service.

• Liked — Beds are comfortable, pillows are not hard as rocks
  • Disliked — Front desk
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay at Grand Pequot
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
11 Thank memaamber
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mashantucket
The Fox Tower at Foxwoods
Hilton Garden Inn Preston Casino Area
Bellissimo Grande Hotel
Bellissimo Grande Hotel
#1 of 5 in North Stonington

Been to Great Cedar Hotel at Foxwoods? Share your experiences!