“I guess I came during the wrong time of day”
Review of Suso Latino Basket - CLOSED

Suso Latino Basket
Cuisines: Latin
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Richmond, Virginia
“I guess I came during the wrong time of day”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

After reading the reviews, I was excited to try Suso. I go there about 12:15pm....and only an older couple was seated. The place is small but considering the reputation you would think the lunch hour would bring on long lines and an energetic atmosphere. Neither was the case.

What I presume is the owner...he was also the waiter, cook, and bust boy. I asked is it always slow during lunch, and he advised lunch was always slow...."dinner is busy." RED FLAG.

I noticed the couple that was dining left nearly 75% of their meal on their plates. RED FLAG.

When I was brought a pitcher of water (w/ some floaters inside), and not asked what beverage I would like. RED FLAG.

Despite the red flags, I took a chance....based on the great reviews....and had the garlic chicken app, and the sausage Panini. I must say the food was below average at best, and not the top of the line I was hoping to try. Not a lot of flavors, and the onions and peppers in my sandwich were soggy/mushy. The sauce in my app was watery and oily :(

Perhaps it was the time of day....perhaps I was not as lucky. I won't return to this establishment....not really worth it.

• Visited August 2013

Hebron, Connecticut
“Excellent food and atmosphere”
Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

We have been herena couplemof times and had a great meal both times. The Paella de la Casa was excellent. Chicken, sausage, mussels and clams were all cooked perfectly. This is a small place with a friendly staff. The owner is always willing to talk. The first time I went there were testing a new dessert, a yummy cake, and I got a free sample while I waited for my food. I recommend this place for anyone that likes Latino food.

Visited July 2013
New England
“Interesting”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

It's a tiny place with one person manning the counter, phone, and dining room, which can result in leisurely service. But the menu is really different and interesting, and the dishes themselves were, too. Alcoholic beverages are available from the liquor shop next door, which provides a broader selection than you'd ordinarily get from a place this size, at minor inconvenience. It's definitely worth a try.

• Visited May 2013
Andover CT
“Excellent!”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We loved Paella de la casa. It was delicious. We also had the Empanada de Espinaca (Spinach Pastry) and croquetas de bacalao...delicious!!!!! We will definetly recommend this place. BYOB. Susso is an excellent and friendly chef. Fanny was the waitress. really sweet.

• Visited June 2013
Connecticut
“Ole!”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Suso's is a solid addition to the restaurants in the greater Hartford area. The name, sounding a bit "take-outy" of even small market, and the location, a nondescript strip of storefronts, are misleading. Suso's is a very good restaurant offering a range of dishes from Spain and various "Latino" countries crafted by a chef originally from Spain. The venue is newly done, and it has table cloths, cloth napkins, and other signs of the fine food that lurks behind the plain wrapper name and location. The menu is particularly strong on seafood, especially paella (which you can order for one, unlike many Spanish restaurants which only make paella for two), but there is also a reasonable selection of beef, pork, chicken, and vegetarian main-course dishes. There are also some reasonably priced pannini-stype sandwiches. My wife and I stopped in for lunch, and were well-served by the chef. We started out with a meat and cheese plate ($10) which was quite good, although not extraordinary, mostly because the bread that came with it --dry and bland-- was the venue's only serious weak spot. We then could not resist trying the bacalao (salted cod) salad with chick peas and red onion in a light vinaigrette ($7). It was a near meal-in-inself portion, chocked full of cod, that was very tasty. My wife ordered the pernil, a savory Puerto Rican pork dish with rice and bean ($11) and I got the short ribs served with roasted potatoes, broccoli, mushrooms, and red peppers. ($15). All the offerings were nicely presented, and the short ribs neared being an art piece. We shared the dishes and had similar conclusions: both were very good, but could have been a bit better. The pernil (which I make with pork shoulder, but which the menu indicates is made there with pork leg) was just a touch dry, and the short ribs were just a touch fatty. More positively, the ribs were so tender that I literally ate them in part with my spoon so that I could scoop ups some of the excellent broth that accompanied them. Some of the to-that-point uneaten bread disappeared as we used it to sop up the spare broth. For dessert we shared passion fruit ice cream. It was house-made and fairly tart, but it first-rate abd provided a nice end to the meal. There is no bar or wine service, but you can bring your own. There is a liquor store next store if you need it. If I could give Suso's 4.5 stars, not five, I would because of the less than perfect main courses and blah bread, but I have chosen five because 4 is too low. Especially given the moderate prices and ability to further save by BYOB, Suso is not only a fine restaurant but also a great value.

• Visited June 2013