“Steer clear”
Review of India Kitchen - CLOSED

India Kitchen
Cuisines: Indian
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We arrived around 5pm on a weekday. There were no other customers, but strangely each table had a filled water pitcher on it (with no lid). We were seated at a table where the water pitcher had lots of condensation, so at least it hadn't been sitting out too long.

The waiter had almost no command of English and it was very difficult to communicate with him. When I showed him the coupon from Groupon that was on my phone, he wordlessly took it from my hand and walked away, looking perplexed. I thought it was rude and disconcerting. He returned with a pleasant young woman who translated for him what the coupon entailed. We wondered why she wasn't our waitress because she appeared light years more competent and the restaurant was empty save for us.

The food was average, as it had been the first time we visited three years ago.

The part of the table linen that hangs over the table onto your lap was filthy with stains and crusty bits of sauce; it appears never to have been laundered.

In short, we are firm that we'll never return. You'll find us at Priya in Rock Hill, even if they aren't on Groupon.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

I've eaten here a few times before, and have mixed feelings. It's definitely not the best Indian food in the area, but it's not terrible. I've had some great meals there, and some average ones as well.

During my most recent visit, I started with veggie samosas, which were pretty good. My wife and I then split two vegetarian specialties: Channa Masala (chickpeas cooked punjabi style with garlic, onion & tomato) and Aloo Gobi (potato & cauliflower tempered with cumin seeds stir fried with onion & tomato sauce). Both were decent, but I've had the same dish prepared better at other restaurants.

The service was just ordinary as well; the waiter seemed to have some difficulty understanding our order at first. I also had to ask for a clean fork upon entering, since the one at my setting had some food crusted on it.

Overall, it's not bad and I would eat there again, but I'd prefer other Indian restaurants in the area,

Reviewed April 7, 2013

I was so pleased with the menu and various choices, the wait staff was friendly and help me with choices. Great restaurant. Five stars

Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

Food was quite good. It was a busy Saturday night and the place was packed. Naan portions are very generous with two naans included for the price that you would spend for one elsewhere. Garlic naan was very aromatic. Food was all hot and well flavored, although my medium spice dish was more mild than medium.

Service was horrible. Took forever to get dishes and items on the menu were not available to be made. The waiter nicely made a suggestion for a similar dish, which was greatly appreciated. Getting the bill and take out containers took forever. The server had the cordless restaurant phone in his pocket which rang while he was at out table. He answered it right there table side. This really isn't an acceptable practice. Ambiance was a little blah, but I instantly purchased anothe groupon. The good outweighed the bad here.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

We recently went with our family to India Kitchen on new year's eve for dinner. It was horrible service and terrible food to the point we left in the middle of it without even ordering dinner.

We ordered samosas & chilli pakora for appetizers and they were cold.
The waiter and said that he is sorry and nothing else. They did not have anything else to offer at that time.

We are never going back and do not recommend this palce at all.