“Waitress MIA”

Frank Pepe's Pizzeria Napoletana
Ranked #6 of 196 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Kensington, CT
“Waitress MIA”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We had little difficulty finding this restaurant off route 84, but locating a parking space on a Saturday at lunch time is a bit of a challenge. The restaurant was close to capacity, but we only had to wait about 5 minutes before being seated. The owners have done a nice job replicating the original location right down to the tiny bathrooms. We ordered a soda and large cheese pizza and then waited, waited and waited some more. Other tables were served and we continued to wait. It became obvious that something was amiss, confirmed when we could not locate our waitress. Finally the busboy served our pizza which was larger than we remembered. The only negative was the crust was way too chewey than we prefer, but the tomatoes sauce and cheese were of the highest quality. Our waitress continued to hide so I flagged our busboy for the check and box to pack our leftovers. He returned with 2 boxes and our long lost waitress finally appeared with the check but no apology. The overall experience left me apathetic so it is unlikely we will be returning.

• Visited March 2013

• Turkish first
Connecticut
“Not New Haven but pretty close”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Now that Pepe's is a Connecticut chain, we thought we would try one of the new restaurants and avoid the incredible lines that one must contend with when going to the original Pepe's. First impression is that they did a great job making the Manchester store look like New Haven. They used a similar old fashioned white ceramic tile for the oven, the same long peels and similar photos. The pizza is also very close to what is produced in New Haven. No lines. I would not hesitate to return for an excellent pizza experience.

• Visited February 2013
Portland, Connecticut
“The standard by which all pizza must be measured”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

This is the original Neapolitan pizza. Naples is where pizza was born and Frank Pepe helped bring the original to the US. You don't get more authentic Italian pizza than this.

Visited January 2013
Barnstable, Massachusetts
“Surprise, surprise”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I am not a pizza fan. My husband begged me to go to this restaurant because he used to own a pizza shop and said that it was excellent. We first went to the original one in New Haven. When I saw the people lined up outside, it gave me a clue to it's popularity! He ordred me a plain pie, and ordered himself a clam pie. Well, I have to say that I at all of his clam pie! Absolutely fabulous pizza! You can order a pitcher of beer or a glass of wine. We have since returned numerous times, never to be disappointed. The restaurant harkens back to the 1950's and is clean, with courteous waitstaff. When he is out that way on business, he orderes one half-baked and we finish baking it at home, excellent! I highly recommend Frank Pepe's to everyone. And, those of you who don't care for pizza, I urge you to give it a try.

• Visited January 2013
East Windsor, Connecticut
“Several”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Have eaten at the Wooster Street local, the Manchester one by the mall and recently at the Mohegan Sun location, food is consistantly prepared at all locations.

Visited September 2012