“Have a very short two weeks”

and 1 more site!
Villa Alba Dive Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Kubu B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“Have a very short two weeks”
Reviewed June 29, 2014

Villa Alba is certainly a little out of the way as is located on the Northern corner of Bali with a 2+ hour drive from the airport. It was certainly not what I expected but what I got was a perfect place to have a diving holiday. Alex, Jessica, Made and the entire staff treated us as welcome guests and the stay seemed to fly past and was over all so quickly.
The rooms are of excellent quality with very few hiccups and are cleaned and refreshed every day. From reading all the reviews I certainly agree with them. The food from the kitchen is good and there is a variety in dishes from Indonesian, Chinese and Western - had a certain home cooked quality that was good.
Diving was great to good depending on the waves and the dreaded rocks on entry and exit. The boys certainly looked after us and provided good photo spotting of little things. I completed 34 dives all on Nitrox and there was never a real drama and Alex provided me with a set of boots and fins when my proved inadequate for the job.
I certainly will be a return guest to Villa Alba

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

We have just spent six days at villa Alba and it was beautiful. Alex , Jessica and staff made us very welcome . The accommodation was excellent, huge rooms and bathrooms. The resort is beach front with two lovely pools. We were picked up from the airport with no problems. My husband did his Padi training in three days and spent three days enjoying the amazing diving in the area. He loved it ! As a non diver I enjoyed myself reading, swimming and loving the amazing views. Not to mention the peace and tranquility ! It has left me wanting to dive myself , we will be back .

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 29, 2014

Villa Alba is a splendid one-off. Alex is a tech diver and has set the resort up to cater for the most demanding needs any diver might have. You won't find more impressive gear stores, workshops or charging facilities anywhere - as other have reported. Jessica runs a similarly tight ship with an outstanding kitchen offering authentic Chinese, western and Balinese food. The accommodation is also excellent.

Jessica and Alex are enormously good hosts and we look forward to a return visit and another musical soiree. Thanks both, we loved it!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank EHinOz
Albany, Australia
Reviewed March 24, 2014

My wife and I spent two weeks diving and chilling in Tulamben at Villa Alba. Alex, Jessica and all the staff made us felt very welcomed and accommodated and were very attentive in meeting our diving needs.

On arrival I could not believe the place, the photos don't do this place justice. Right on the beach, views and views with a lovely balinese tropical garden setting. Two fantastic deep pools, ideal for between dive or after dive relaxing or testing out dive gear. We spent a lot of time in these pools. It is not in the heart of Tulamben, which for us was just perfect ad it has a more laid back feel, but everything there is less then 5 minutes away, even the Kubu dive sites.

The rooms are spacious, cool, private, modern and clean with large ensuites. You can see that the owners had a real interest in getting them "just so". A great space to end and start the day in or just chill in out of the heat and humidity.

Alex has done a great job setting up the diving side of Villa Alba, The fill station surpasses what I've seen at most places here at home. Regular independent gas analysis, nitrox and trimix to order, boosted O2 for rebreathers and deco cylinders, and a range of cylinders from your standard ali 80 to twinsets, side mount sets, rebreather 3lt and 2lt cylinders, 40's and 80's rigged for stages or bailout. AND...a rare one for Bali, tubs and tubs of sorb, so full rebreather support. We made use of his fleet of Dive Xtras Sierra underwater scooters, totally opened up some large and amazing dive sites for us.

Alex is A.S.S.E.T certified and quick to fix any issues that might arise with scuba gear and has a fully decked out and clean workshop

My wife dived mostly side mount doubles and dived a rebreather, which was dealt with just fine by staff. As most of our dives were deepish and around 2 hours each we didn't use any of the guides but they were always there to help before and after the dives and gave us very informative and easy to follow information about the sites we were going to (yes there is way more to Tulamben then just the Liberty Wreck). We ended up doing a lot of dives on the Alba House Reef, easy access and an amazing reef that just keeps on going and going. 13 bump heads on our first dive.

It is not your big expensive resort with 24hr room service, spa and fitness centre and in pool cocktail bar serving Bali Moon creations but it is welcoming, attentive, relaxing and has great point of difference to all the other Tulamben dive resorts. Looking for s place to run a tech dive course, this is IT! We are going back in few months for some more diving and I'll do a trimix rebreather course and my wife will do a underwater photography course while I'm doing mine.

I did miss not having coconut milk inspired cocktails as the sun sets, it was a tropical holiday in a romantic local after all but staff would be more then happy to chop the top of a fresh coconut and stick a straw in it for you

Room Tip: We stayed in room 3, out the door and into the top pool. Room 8 is ground floor and has a patio wit...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michael W
Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Alex and Jessica made us feel really welcome - couldn't fault the accomodation and hospitality. Diving on the US Liberty was even better than we'd imagined. The dive guiding from Villa Alba was excellent - even the house reef is really good. If you want to dive or snorkel on and around the US Liberty and explore the East coast of Bali I can't think of anywhere better to stay. The hotel arranged our pick up from the airport and we also had a convenient transfer to the Gili Islands - our next diving destination. FANTASTIC!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Pinkyslatter
Denpasar, Indonesia
Reviewed January 30, 2014

Villa Alba is bright, sparkly & so clean. The accommodation is really comfortable & everything you could want is there.
The diving set up is SUPERB
All the hire gear is best quality & new. I've never seen a hire set up where they can supply you with prescription masks until now.
They have Air, Nitrox & lots of technical diving stuff, including scooters & rebreathers.
Their house reef is a 10 metre walk out their back gate & really interesting. Good guides & very knowledgeable.
Can't say enough about Alex & Jessica (the owners)They make you feel like family but also give you a lot of privacy.
We are Australians living permanently in Bali & we have arranged to go to Villa Alba at least once a month every month

Room Tip: All the rooms here are very comfortable, with good linen & super clean
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 20, 2014

My boyfriend and I spent 6 nights in Villa Alba and we were absolutely thrilled by the level of service and positive approach all the staff (including the owners) had. The location is fabulous - literally next to the famous Liberty Wreck! The public premises are clean and tidy. Our room was spacious and bright, it was cleaned every day. We also enjoyed the menu as it offered both local and western cuisine. I had a chance to do 3 dives with them and it was amazing as I had a divemaster only for myself and thus got 100% attention under water! I also appreciated how well they take care of their diving equipment which is rather rare in Asia. ;-) I am just a bit sorry I did not manage to try the "re-breather" - however I could have as it was kindly offered by Alex.
Anyway, I highly recommend this place to all those who are looking for a quiet place rather than busy part of Bali with night clubs and bars on every corner! :-) And yes, if I ever go back to Bali, Villa Alba will be my first choice!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kubu
Matahari Tulamben Resort, Dive & SPA
Tauch Terminal Resort Tulamben & Spa
Bali Dive Resort and Spa
Bali Dive Resort and Spa
#1 of 14 in Tulamben

Been to Villa Alba Dive Resort? Share your experiences!