“Fantastic food; great atmosphere & service”

Elizabeth's Cafe at Perfect Parties
Ranked #7 of 50 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed August 3, 2008

I travel extensively on business and try to eat at good & remarkable restaurants; Elizabeth's was up there with the best of them. Great cozy atmosphere (come in around the back) and excellent service was complimented by tremendous food. The salads are unbelievable -- roasted peach & proscuitto, beets & crispy goat cheese -- and the main courses did not disappoint. The ricotta gnocchi were light, airy, & served with a perfect cream sauce, the lamb sirloin was done perfectly & seared on the outside and came with a au jus with just the right amount of additional spicing. A good but not extensive wine list (you can bring your own) and creative & tasty desserts -- even though we missed out on the chocolate crepes and chocolate bread pudding, which sounded tremendous. The only (very minor) imperfection was that the coffee was not as good as it should be (they should use Willoughby's from down the road!) but overall the meal was nothing short of superb.

Reviewed February 14, 2008

I have been to Elizabeth's 4-5 times over the past couple years. The food and service have both been consistently better than the average in this price range - and better than any other restaurant on the shoreline with the possible exception of Cafe Routier in Old Saybrook (which I consider to be about the equivalent - love em' both!).

I have worked in the restaurant business and lived in both Boston and LA for years - so I can be rather judgemental. The only complaint I have ever had is that the wine list is just okay, but you can bring your own (there is a corkage fee).

If you are looking for a quaint, quiet (yet somehow cosmopolitan) atmosphere with an interesting menu and really tasteful service you will not be disappointed!

Joe

Reviewed February 11, 2008

I have mixed feelings on sharing this gem of a restaurant with the public because a big part of me wants to keep this place all to myself. It is a cozy, warm little restaurant with the best food on the shoreline. My six girlfriends and I went on a Friday night to celebrate a 40th birthday party and it was absolutely perfect. We had a great table, great service and the best dinner we have had in a long time. We started with a round of fun martini's chosen from their extensive martini menu which set the mood for a great night. We all had salad's ranging from the Beet and Goat cheese, my personal favorite, to the pear salad. The salads alone will bring me back next week. We then ordered 6 different entrees intending to share them with eachother but when we each took our first bites, noone wanted to part with their delicious meal. The portions were perfect, not too big not too small. We almost didn't have room for dessert but since it was a birthday party we went ahead. Thank goodness we did or we would have missed the perfect end to a perfect evening. Go for the chocolate bread pudding or the seasonal creme brulee. I already made a reservation for Valentine's Day. I know my husband will love this place too.

Reviewed April 16, 2006

The cafe is a small and quaint place which serves competent appetizers and entrees but is pricey. For example, a glass of Rosemount wine sets you back 9 dollars. The menu, with Italian influences, features pasta, risottos, and maincourses of seafoods and meats generally prepared Italian-style.

There are about 16 tables, many arranged in banquettes whose benches contain embroidered cloth cushions. We were fortunate to get a table for four practically on the storefront side of the cafe.

I tried the loin of lamb chef's special, with a luscious appetizer, to start, of gnocchi. The lamb was decently prepared but it reminded me of an individual steamship round. A sushi-grade tuna was served sushi grade, all right, but the core was cold, so it had to be sent back to be cooked further. Thus cooked, it was tender but dull flavored. Appetizer portions were small and expensive, averaging $12.00.

The service was friendly and helpful, but gave us the wrong menus to start, so some tempting dishes we wanted were no longer available.

I would recommend this restaurant, but in Madison, there are better places to eat. However, I do think this cafe has some promise.

2  Thank JCArchT