“Great Lobster rolls”

Clam Castle
Ranked #4 of 49 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Kids, Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Yardley, Pennsylvania
“Great Lobster rolls”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

Easy off from I-95 on our way to RI. It had been recommended as a place to stop and it was perfect. We were traveling with a puppy so the outside picnic tables were a plus. They even offered a bowl of water with ice for the puppy. The hot lobster roll was buttery and delicious on a toasted roll, and the broiled sea scallops in the garlic lemon butter were tender and delicious. It's not inexpensive, $35. for lobster roll, broiled scallop platter w/onion rings, cole slaw with each, and 2 drinks; but good seafood never is. We did not find anything to be greasy(as some reviewers suggested), because we did not order fried food. You get what you order.

• Visited August 2013

Danbury, Connecticut
“Great food at good prices!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

This place looks like it has been around since the 50's so it's nothing to look at (I, personally enjoy places like this though) but the food is fantastic. We ordered the fried clam strips platter ($13.99, I think) which comes with a side choice of fries or onion rings (we chose the onion rings) and the fried calamari ($8.99?) to share. The meal was delicious and plentiful as we could not finish it between us and my hubs is a good eater! We looked around at other people's orders and everything looked delicious. We ended up ordering the onion rings when we saw that the fries didn't look like anything special. The onion rings, however, are very thin with not a ton of breading - different from onion rings at many places so we decided to try them. We were very happy with our decision as they were delish! Both meals came with lemon wedges and sauces (tartar and marinara for the calamari).
We want to try other restaurants in this area in the future but will certainly visit this place again! P.S. The seafood was very fresh as this is a beach/ocean town (near Hammonasset Beach/StatePark).

• Visited August 2013
Greenwich, Connecticut
“Soft Shelled Crabs!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

Having never been to a clam shack before, and purposely driving to the water from Manchester, CT, I was most excited about eating at this clam shack. Overall, the experience was positive. You can definitely spend a bit of money, there, though. We ordered 2 soft shelled crab platters. One with onion rings, the other with french fries, an order of mozzarella sticks, and two lemonades. The total came out to $42.

When the platters came, we were amazed. The platters were huge! Two blue soft shelled crabs lay in each plate with a mound of onion rings and the other with fries. The crab was absolutely juicy and soft. However, they should provide more than one sliver of lemon to squeeze onto such a large plate. Two lemon slivers would be ideal. The mozzarella sticks were average. Typical taste. The lemonade, however, was a bit bland and luke warm. It definitely should be colder as this shack is not very air conditioned inside. Regarding the food portions, like I said, they were ample. I did note that another patron complained of being charged $17 for just 4 shrimp, or so it appeared, she said. I am not sure if they made a mistake on her order, but I found the price paid in relation to proportion, quite good.

After our meals were brought to us, no one ever came to see how we were doing. Perhaps that is typical for a shack. I am not certain. What I did not like, though, was having to wait 10 or so minutes for a to-go container where I could put my hardly eaten second crab and mozzarella sticks. After waiting and waiting, and seeing that the young brunette, hazel-eyed girl with glasses was focusing on other clients' foods, I grabbed the plate that had held my boyfriend's crab; which he had eaten entirely, and used that to cover my plate, and left. I do understand that they can get very busy, but with another seafood restaurant within 2 minutes up the street (Lenny and Joe's Fish Tale) they really need to be a bit more attentive to 'all' their clients' needs. Yet, even with that displeasuring aspect, we will probably be back before the summer ends.

• Visited July 2013
CT
“A great meal at a great deal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

I go here for the fried clams sometimes when I am at the beach, I usually get them to go and eat them on the beach but you can eat inside or outside the restaurant as well. Very fresh seafood at a good price and you can go right from the beach. I like it better than Lenny & Joes...casual, no frills but great seafood!

• Visited July 2013
South Windsor, Connecticut
“Not Impressed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

We were too short on time to drive to our usual place- Bill's in Westbrook- and decided to give this a try. We were disappointed. Clam strips and French fries we ordered paled in comparison to those at Bill's, Johnny Ads (Old Saybrook) or Lenny and Joe's. Clam strips were thin and not all that tasty. Fries just fair. Service was friendly, prices acceptable but you can find far better on the shoreline.
Grade C-