“Very Classy Response”

Ranked #4 of 50 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Scenic view, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Renowned Owner, Author and Executive Chef, Silvio Suppa, of famed Wooster Street in New Haven, has perfected every culinary detail and created decor and a menu that blends the best of both old world styles, techniques, and traditions with today's new world tastes.Winning culinary awards each year, Cafe Allegre and the landmark "Inn at Lafayette" ... combined to create an unforgettable and uniquely shoreline dining and lodging experience. Family friendly!
Reviewed August 7, 2013

After posting my experience during my niece's high school graduation in June the manager contacted me directly to apologize. I felt t was a classy move and sincere. Café Allegre has a
very good reputation and is considered by the locals to be one of the finest restaurants in the area.

The town of Madison CT has a very unique post high school graduation tradition where all the graduates go back to the high school by 10PM for a all night post graduation party with fun and games. Better communications with my family and the wait staff would have prevented a disappointing experience.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

Had a wonderful Sunday lunch on the front patio under the verdant plantings. All three of us, including one daughter who has special dietary needs, were easily and deliciously accommodated. The service was helpful and friendly. The food, even the salads, were special and yummy.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

This was our first visit to Cafe Allegre. A traditional white table cloth atmosphere. Our waiter, Karl, was very skilled and personable. He possesses a professionalism not commonly found in this day and age. The Italian based menu is very varied and expansive offering many dishes not often seen on menus. my appetizer was an eggplant roullatine served with their award winning marinara type Sunday sauce. A top quality crusty bread was served with an olive oil accompaniment. House salad came with all entrees (something not seen very often these days.) Our entrees, all excellent, were: Chicken Parmigiana, Cheese filled Ravioli (both served with the Sunday sauce) and a Calves Liver dish (my only negative critique was the offering of crumbled Pancetta which turned out to actually be three thick slices of American style bacon which overwhelmed the dish.) Our desserts were: a frozen Chocolate Truffle, Cranberry-orange Cheesecake and Lemon Sorbet served in a hollowed out lemon, all very good. Along with a glass of wine and a soft drink the tab came to $98.80 plus tax and tip. A very reasonable price.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

We dined at Cafe Allegre last week and took advantage of their Prix Fix menu - which was more than filling @ only $28.95 from salad to dessert! I had the "Chicken Veronica" which was so tender and topped with fresh grapes and a champagne sauce, I believe, and my husband had Coconut Crusted Tilapia - which I had to dig into too, and it was light and very fresh tasting - no fishy taste at all, with a mild, crunchy coconut flavor - perfection! I don't know if this special lasts all year, but will certainly go back and try other dishes as well.
I know Chef Silvio wins awards for his cuisine, and even wrote a cookbook, which is why we stopped in and he did not disappoint! Highly recommend; food and service was excellent!

1  Thank susan s
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Tonight my family traveled from 3 states for my nieces high school graduation. We had scheduled a celebration dinner with a reservation for 10 at Allegre Cafe in Madison CT. My sister in law said it best; "the worst service i have ever had" We had to wait so long for our meal, over two hours that my niece never got to eat her dinner since all the graduates had to be back at the High School for an all night celebration at 10. My niece spent 4 years in anticipation of this family celebration, She worked so hard, national honors society, was awarded a Ct. All-State Award, won a presidential scholarship to college and never got to eat her meal!!. My sister who planned this event for weeks also did not get to eat dinner because she had to drive my niece to the post-graduation event.

I ordered the pork chops but was told they only made them on Wednesday? My nephew said it was one of the worst steaks he ever had . At the end only 8 out of 10 in our family actually had dinner. I wouldn't go back to this restaurant at gun point.

3  Thank Dan M
joyzellelogan, Public Relations Manager at Allegre Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

The owners didn't know how to personally contact you and asked me to convey this to you:

On graduation day the restaurant fills up all at once at 8/8:30pm with kids and their parents who need to be out by 10pm to go to the event "Nite in Hand" at the high school. It is rushed every year and we seem to have one table that ends up getting their food a little late because the kitchen gets backed up with everyone coming in at the same time. One of the tables ordered appetizers first and not their whole order with the entrees which caused the food to be delayed. The graduate at the table and her mother did not get to eat because she had to rush to the high school before the doors closed. We feel terrible about this and want to reach out to them, and to apologize, as this is not normal for us! We get rave reviews and each person that walks into our family-owned restaurant, is truly seen by us as guests in our "home" and we are so sorry that this family did not experience this! Please, we want to make this up to them - to come back, meals on us! Or we can mail out a gift certificate. Please let us know how to reach you. Thank you.

Been to Allegre Cafe? Share your experiences!