“Ruined a Great Night”

Ranked #4 of 49 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Scenic view, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Renowned Owner, Author and Executive Chef, Silvio Suppa, of famed Wooster Street in New Haven, has perfected every culinary detail and created decor and a menu that blends the best of both old world styles, techniques, and traditions with today's new world tastes.Winning culinary awards each year, Cafe Allegre and the landmark "Inn at Lafayette" ... combined to create an unforgettable and uniquely shoreline dining and lodging experience. Family friendly!
Natick, Massachusetts
“Ruined a Great Night”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Tonight my family traveled from 3 states for my nieces high school graduation. We had scheduled a celebration dinner with a reservation for 10 at Allegre Cafe in Madison CT. My sister in law said it best; "the worst service i have ever had" We had to wait so long for our meal, over two hours that my niece never got to eat her dinner since all the graduates had to be back at the High School for an all night celebration at 10. My niece spent 4 years in anticipation of this family celebration, She worked so hard, national honors society, was awarded a Ct. All-State Award, won a presidential scholarship to college and never got to eat her meal!!. My sister who planned this event for weeks also did not get to eat dinner because she had to drive my niece to the post-graduation event.

I ordered the pork chops but was told they only made them on Wednesday? My nephew said it was one of the worst steaks he ever had . At the end only 8 out of 10 in our family actually had dinner. I wouldn't go back to this restaurant at gun point.

• Visited June 2013
3 Thank Dan M
joyzellelogan, Public Relations Manager at Allegre Cafe, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
The owners didn't know how to personally contact you and asked me to convey this to you:

On graduation day the restaurant fills up all at once at 8/8:30pm with kids and their parents who need to be out by 10pm to go to the event "Nite in Hand" at the high school. It is rushed every year and we seem to have one table that ends up getting their food a little late because the kitchen gets backed up with everyone coming in at the same time. One of the tables ordered appetizers first and not their whole order with the entrees which caused the food to be delayed. The graduate at the table and her mother did not get to eat because she had to rush to the high school before the doors closed. We feel terrible about this and want to reach out to them, and to apologize, as this is not normal for us! We get rave reviews and each person that walks into our family-owned restaurant, is truly seen by us as guests in our "home" and we are so sorry that this family did not experience this! Please, we want to make this up to them - to come back, meals on us! Or we can mail out a gift certificate. Please let us know how to reach you. Thank you.

LOUYISVILLE KY
“Great dining experience”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We were in the are for a meeting. My wife and I wanted a dinner alone. Nice atmosphere, Our waiter and bus person Justin and James were excellent. The service was spot on.Fairly priced. I would highly recomend a dining experience there.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank TEDSPARTY
Punta Gorda, Florida
“A great cafe in Madison, CT”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Inn at Lafayette above the Café Allegre over Fathers Day weekend. The Café was a very pleasant surprise to us. The food, atmosphere and service was first class. Chef Silvio and his family do an outstanding job in all respects. We would wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone in the Madison CT and surrounding area. We will be back!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Tom d
Connecticut
“Excellent food and atmophere”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

My husband and I went with three other couples on a busy Saturday night and we all agreed we would be back. We ordered various appetizers, entrees and desserts, along with two bottles of wine; the quality was excellent and preparation was superb. Prices were reasonable for what we ordered, and better than most restaurants along the shoreline. Our waiter was a lot of fun, and once a couple of large parties left, we were able to hear each other. It was worth the 40-min drive, and we are also looking forward to visiting during the week to try lunch.

• Visited April 2013
Guilford, Connecticut
“Very disappointing”
Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

It had been sometime since we had been in to the cafe even tho we are Madison residents for 25 years. Now we remember why. Let's start by saying the wait staff were great! It goes downhill from there. It was a Saturday night and the place was packed and very noisey. Very difficult to hear the conversation from the other 3 people at my table. Kitchen was very slow at getting entrees out. My fish and potatoes were cold? I didn't want to send it back but my table mates insisted. When I got my dinner back it was hot but pretty much a mess on my plate. The prices did not match the quality or presentation of any of the 4 meals we ordered. Too bad there is no good places to eat for a reasonable price in Madison.

2 Thank debbie06437