“"6 Stars" One of CT's BEST.”
Review of Allegre Cafe

Allegre Cafe
Ranked #4 of 50 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Scenic view, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Renowned Owner, Author and Executive Chef, Silvio Suppa, of famed Wooster Street in New Haven, has perfected every culinary detail and created decor and a menu that blends the best of both old world styles, techniques, and traditions with today's new world tastes.Winning culinary awards each year, Cafe Allegre and the landmark "Inn at Lafayette" ... combined to create an unforgettable and uniquely shoreline dining and lodging experience. Family friendly!
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I live in a neighboring town and eat here regularly...including events, birthdays, and many a holiday...Easter, Mother's Day. Always- Consistently Excellent. Food quality, atmosphere, service-- A+ This family has it (restaurant business) down...run like a tight ship, but in a relaxed, warm, friendly, professional atmosphere. And Chef Sylvio's cooking...I don't know how he does it, but ANYthing I've ordered there is the BEST I've ever tasted that dish, and is consistently excellent. Not an easy task in a restaurant this constantly BUSY...but he nails it every time.
Also not easy to accomplish in a restaurant this busy, but is my experience, every time---be it a packed holiday rush, a family event, busy happy hour or any day....I've never experienced anything negative, a mistake, a long wait...nothing but excellence...over and over and over.
Don't walk...just GO, and enjoy! It's simply the best.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Came by on a Saturday night at 9:30 pm for a light, late dinner and the place was packed with people obviously enjoying themselves--the bar was crowded as well. The waitstaff was friendly and accommodating. We started with a pane cotto and fried calamari, both of which were excellent. The waiter divided them evenly onto our own appetizer plates--a nice "family style" touch. We followed this with eggplant rollatini which was also delicious. For dessert we had a cannoli (they buy the shells but make the cream themselves) that was light and flavorful and a serving of blackberry sorbet that was refreshing, tart, and tasty. The house merlot was okay but nothing great.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

I'm not a brunch person and prefer an early Sunday dinner or lunch. Few nice restaurants provide this option in the shore area (especially during Winter). Cafe Allegre is the exception.
Here, you will be treated to a range of well prepared Northern Italian dishes and quality service.
Our party tried two fish dishes and a traditional chicken marsala. All three were well received. There is a reason that the restaurant is Zagat rated and the Chef/Owner has been in business for a very long time.

1  Thank bpierz
Reviewed January 31, 2013

The setting in an old home is warm and inviting....you can dine in the bar area, but it tends to get loud. Their menu is creative with a variety of well prepared seafood dishes, some prepared with an Italian twist. The pastas are excellent and service is cordial and efficient for a beach town.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

We've lived in the Madison area for over 25 years but had never tried Cafe Allegre. I was looking for someplace new last week and the menu got my attention. My husband and I certainly were not disappointed. I love seafood and chicken dishes but must admit, I'm a very picky eater and I'm on a somewhat restricted diet so finding high quality restaurants that accommodate my dietary needs and taste is a bit of a challenge. The waiter described a special, barramundi. Not being the adventurous type, normally I would not be so daring. However, this was among the best fish dishes I've ever eaten. ( I was formerly in the wholesale/retail seafood industry.) The preparation was simple yet absolutely delicious. My husband had a veal dish which was also outstanding. The service was professional and the staff was well trained. The restaurant was a bit pretentious and somewhat over-priced but, this is Madison and one sort of comes to expect this on the Connecticut Shoreline.