Madison Beach Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton
$69
RodewayInn
$85
Hotwire.com
Americas Best Value Inn(Branford)(Great Value!)
$74
Hotwire.com
Branford Motel(Branford)
$59
$50
All reviewslong island soundbeautiful hotelwharf restaurantli soundfrench doorsnew englandmadison beachsoaking tubelectric fireplacelounge chairsocean viewromantic getawaythe general managervalet parkingparking lotbalconywedding
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 19, 2009

My wife and I just spent a stress free weekend here. We had a great time, the staff, resturant, and room were all very nice. All rooms are ocean front, with a nice cont. breakfast incl . We thought the price was very reasonable for an ocean front room. I just read on some of the posts that the hotel is closing up, thats sad, you don't find many places like this anymore. We were planning on coming back again. They have live bands on the weekend in the Warf and also on the porch, bonfire on the beach so kids could make smores etc... Its the only hotel in Ct where the beach goes right up to the building. The maintenance man is the best, very friendly, I saw a man try to tip him, the maintenance man said he didn't want his money, just his friendship! ( he says "he's a maintenance man with no tools) It really is a New England beach hotel, it makes you feel at home esp rocking on the rocking chairs on the porch overlooking the ocean, its hard to find places like this anymore, Its sad to hear they may tear it down for a new expensive hotel.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank zebCt
Reviewed May 26, 2009

I was staying for a wedding and had the opportunity of viewing quite a few of the rooms. Very quaint hotel but is quite run down and many things in the room did not work. Also usual standards in other hotels like hairdryers, tea/coffee making facilities and an iron all need to be obtained from reception (and dropped back once finished with). Staff were matter of fact - did their job but not a great deal of pleasantries. On the upside it's right on the beach and the outlook is lovely and all rooms have balconies out overlooking the sea. Quite pricey for the standard of the hotel but it's the location you are paying for. Generally it's charming and a bit of a wreck all wrapped up into one so you'll either love it or hate it! Apparently they are tearing it down next year and rebuilding!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank kinuk
Reviewed May 26, 2009

I've been coming to the Madison Beach hotel for over ten years. It is a great old beach hotel - not fancy, they don't fawn over you, and yes, the staff is old-school Yankee, which can seem cold to some. It is not cheap - a small room with balcony is $200+ in season - but considering it's location, an OK value. It's a great place to come and enjoy a vacation without the sort of hoopla and pretentiousness that is endemic to most beach hotels. My family comes here a few times a year exactly because it is a simple place without stuck-up Wall street types. It isn't the Hamptons, and that's just the way we like it.
Sadly, all that's about to end. In 2006 it was purchased by the super-rich Ric Duques, who will tear down the lovely old building an put up a fancy new one in 2009-2010. It's not going to be a family place anymore (unless you're the Gates or Trump family), as the prices are slated to increase substantially from their already fairly high point. Even the old gravel parking lot will be supplanted by valet parking, according to one of the employees. Clearly, Mr. Duques is building a place where he and his friends can feel comfortable. Great for the very wealthy, not so great for the vast majority of the people who are the hotel's current clientele.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sf6864
Reviewed July 3, 2008

My husband and I stayed there last weekend for a romantic getaway and that's what we got. Is it a fancy resort hotel? No. And I don't think that they advertise as such. It is a perfect little "old school" hotel, with updates. Is the room a little sandy? Yes. It sits right on the beach for God sakes. If you've stayed down the Jersey shore, you will find that this place is a lot nicer for a cheaper rate. We definitely got the relaxation that we went there for. There was even a bonfire on Saturday night with all the fixin's for s'mores!

The ONLY problem I had was the bartenders in the bar and the chef in the kitchen. The bartenders had an attitude and spoke a little condescendingly to me. Also, the chef refused to take something off of my salad, that I didn't like. So I didn't eat it and I spent $12 on it.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed June 14, 2008

I guess we are not up to the standards because the staff paid no attention to us . We had minor requests and we were treated like we were a bother . Room was ok. Prices were ok. Staff either did not like us or we did something wrong because we were treated like low lifes .

Stayed: May 2008