“A Solid 4 Stars. Could be a 5...”

The Litchfield Inn, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Litchfield
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We got a great deal in March to stay in a Jr. Suite with a King bed and cute sitting area (room 210). We asked for a quiet room, and it definitely was. We were lucky in that we didn't have loud neighbors either, but the Inn didn't have thin walls where you could hear everything either. Also our room was at the very end of the hall, so there were no walking noises past our room. Pluses of the room: fully renovated room, cozy beautiful bedding and comfy bed, new furniture, big TV, fridge, beautiful sink and great water pressure in the shower. Very clean. Friendly, professional front desk staff. We walked by and called with several requests at different times and were always met with prompt service. Minuses: Pictures hung strangely in the corners of the room instead of eye level and centered; weak Wifi in our room (only 1 bar!), no landscaping/bare grounds from window view, rug in front of sink bunches up every time you open the bathroom door. Pluses overall: pretty entrance to Inn with appealing looking staircase leading to rooms-we purposely entered the Inn from the front every time to enjoy the walk up the stairs. Coffee and cookies in foyer, decent and nicely presented continental breakfast (hot and cold cereal, fruit, yogurt, granola bars, baked goods). Minuses overall: a little 'bare' in main areas. E.g. sitting area in newer wing was not cozy (just a bookshelf and couch. No lighting or end tables). The sitting area at the top of the stairs has a chessboard-top table, but no playing pieces. We looked in the drawers and only found a box, but it was empty. It looked like garbage that needed to be thrown out. Also, someone had stuck a wine glass in the table, which we brought down to the front desk for them and the staffer apologized. No one used the sitting areas while we were there (2 nights), and I think it's because they seem like an 'afterthought'. They're almost welcoming, but just miss the mark. We also asked to look at the themed rooms (since there are no photos on the website), and they look very nice. Older, but lovely, and maybe because of location (closer to restaurant and stairs) possibly noisier. Avoid the musty smelling themed room, I think it was 304. If you've read this far, don't let these little things stop you from coming here! Overall, we liked it very much and are planning on returning. Please also see my other review of the Inn's restaurant, called Bantam Bistro.

Room Tip: Room 210 is at the end, awesome Jr. suite, newly renovated, quiet, but poor wifi.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Littlewonger
Kathleen W, Manager at The Litchfield Inn, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and it always thrills me to hear of the staff being so accommodating! With the recent renovations, we still have a few lose ends to tie up, i.e. the sitting areas. Those are on our list to finish up along with the landscaping. Just waiting for the perfect weather (so happy it is on its way). We hope you will come stay again with us again. We are always looking to improve and I really appreciate the feedback!

There are newer reviews for The Litchfield Inn, BW Premier Collection

Reviewed March 24, 2013

Most of my travel involves photography and early morning hours, I generally try to find a room as close as possible to the area I will be photographing. I found the Litchfield Inn while researching for a trip to the area for a visit to the Livingston Ripley Waterfowl Conservancy, which is very nearby. From their website and online reviews (starting with TripAdvisor, of course) I felt reasonably certain I'd get my two main requirements, a clean room and a short early morning drive. I booked online through Kayak/Expedia and lucked into a "last minute deal" that was extremely reasonable.
On arrival, from the road, the Inn looked exactly as it does in their promotional photos, which is to say quaint New England. What that they don't do a great job of portraying is the scale...the Inn is a very grand building indeed...and as I pulled up to the check-in area I was duly impressed.
Entering the spotless foyer, I was feeling a little under-dressed in my cargo pants and polar fleece, but was immediately and enthusiastically welcomed by the front desk. The staff were all cheerful, friendly and intent on great service.
My room was on the second floor of two floors, and ample parking and entrances allow for quick access for luggage retrieval. The stairs are broad and gentle (I did not see nor inquire if there is an elevator) and the hallways are bright and, well, cavernous. With wonderful period furnishings...really one could hold a ball in the hallways. The doors have my much preferred new tap card locks (as opposed to swipe cards, which always seem to require a certain touch as they get older)
The room was wonderful. They had the heat set to a comfortable level, unlike many of the chain hotels where I feel as though I'm walking into cold storage (or an oven, depending on the season/latitude) The beds were grandly made with more pillows than I have in my entire house (I still never get that, but some people love it, and it does make one feel comfortable) and the bathroom spotless and well appointed. A fridge and microwave and large flat screen TV rounded out the room. Well laid out, well thought out, and very nicely done. The beds were perfect...incredibly comfortable. I only wish I could have stayed in it longer, but I had an early appointment.
A great continental breakfast awaited in the attached Bistro, (which i will review for dining later, as we ate there for dinner..suffice to say it was equally excellent and pleasant) A cheery checkout left me regretting I only booked one night, but I will definitely return to this charming inn. Litchfield is a beautiful, history-rich area...highly recommended. And the Litchfield Inn is the perfect spot to explore it from.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank JackFord
Kathleen W, General Manager at The Litchfield Inn, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2013

Thank you so much for your wonderful review of the hotel and staff. We're so happy we can offer a place for you on your travels. When going to work every day, you can get used to a place and I forget how others view the Inn, so thank you for reminding me. As for the pillows, guests either love them or hate them but I think they do add a nice touch. We hope you will come visit us again soon and we would love to see some of your photography!

Reviewed March 4, 2013

The refurnished rooms at the Litchfield Inn are warm, clean, and wonderful. The happy hour food is very good and a reasonable price. I ate dinner at the bar the both nights that I stayed. I will stay there again when I am back in the area. Thanks to the staff and service people.

Room Tip: Ask for the refunished rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Rachel M
Kathleen W, General Manager at The Litchfield Inn, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Hello, thank you for the review. So glad to hear you enjoyed your time with us! We just rolled out that happy hour menu so I'm glad you liked it, the beef tips are my favorite! We hope you will come back and join us soon!

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Dear Kathleen,
Your Inn is really charming and the rooms amazingly large, comfortable,and so worth the money! I have stayed at inns all over Litchfield as I have a boarding school child, and I still drive 20 minutes out of the way to come there as it is just so comfortable and I appreciate the large flat screens tv, renovated new wing rooms, and a big breakfast buffet(and the cookies and cider at night). I have been wanting to write for a while as I am there at least a night or 2 every month visiting from London. Finally I get the chance to rave about your inn and the lovely girls at the front desk!
Cherrie(NYC and London)

Room Tip: Pay the extra 10 dollars for the larger renovated rooms!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank cherrieNyc

Thank you so much for taking the time to write the review! Happy that we can offer a place to you and your family when traveling from such a distance. We always try to make this place as comfortable as possible for our guests, so it really means a lot to read your review. Stay tuned for more renovations and we can't wait to welcome you back to the Litchfield Inn!

Reviewed February 4, 2013

It is wonderful to see that the Litchfield Inn is back on track. New ownership has made the Inn a destination spot of its own. The rooms were large, clean and comfortable. The people did an outstanding job to make sure everything was done right and to make you feel welcomed. The cost of staying at the Inn was very affordable (but I fear that once the word gets out the price will follow) The one downside I see is that any competition in the area will certainly suffer.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank david d
Kathleen W, General Manager at The Litchfield Inn, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write that wonderful review. It pleases us that you had a good time and we look forward to seeing you again! That competition better watch out!

Reviewed January 17, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the Litchfield Inn. The Inn was beautiful, very clean, and the staff went out of their way to make us feel at home. I will stay at the Inn again and can not imagine staying anywhere else in the area. It was just a dreamy trip for my husband and I. The Sunday brunch was just wonderful great assortment of food and even better tasting! I strongly suggest staying here.

Room Tip: I liked the themed rooms. Very dreamy.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Kathleen W, General Manager at The Litchfield Inn, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. We try every day to make The Litchfield Inn a place people want to be. We hope you'll come stay with us again soon!

Reviewed December 26, 2012

We stayed at the Inn with our family, 2 children, the room was beautiful. It looked like it had just been renovated and everything was very clean. In addition, the room decor was lovely and it was spacious. The Inn itself was equally lovely. The staff was courteous and friendly and very helpful. The Inn was decorated tastefully in Holiday Decorations. There was a lovely great room for all visitors to use, we did not get a chance, but it was very nice. The Inn offered a continental breakfast which is perfect for families on the go. The food selection was varied and fresh.
Overall I would highly recommend the Inn and we plan on returning for another visit!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Joan B
Kathleen W, General Manager at The Litchfield Inn, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2013

Hello and thank you for the wonderful review. We appreciate you taking the time to tell us, and others about your experience with us. So glad you enjoyed the continental breakfast. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Litchfield Inn!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Litchfield
Homestead Inn
#1 of 3 in Torrington
Days Inn Torrington
Days Inn Torrington
#2 of 3 in Torrington

Been to The Litchfield Inn, BW Premier Collection? Share your experiences!