“Was not impressed!”

Haight-Brown Vineyard
Ranked #4 of 20 things to do in Litchfield
More attraction details
Owner description: Haight-Brown Vineyard takes great pride in being part of a wine industry in Connecticut that is steadily building a reputation in the eyes of those who enjoy the world’s fine wines. Haight-Brown Vineyard, Inc. is Connecticut's oldest winery, opening its doors in 1975. The winery is located in Litchfield Ct. in the northwest part of the state . The Litchfield vineyard grows 45 –50 tons of grapes per year and produces Vinifera wines and French Hybrid blended wines. Retail wine is available for sale and includes the familiar Chardonnay, Merlot, Riesling etc., as well as seasonal varieties such as AppleCrannie, Spring Fling etc. Seasonal events begin with the Annual Barrel Tasting in April, followed by the Festival on the Farm in June, and our Fall Harvest Festival in September. Sales are predominantly from the winery, with some special label business and package store distribution in the local area. The company does not sell out-of-state. Call 860-567-4045 for additional information print and fax our online form . Haight-Brown Vineyard, LLC. is a founding member of the Connecticut WINE TRAIL , where one can plan a visit to the state’s fine wineries. A pleasant and well-stocked salesroom, staffed with courteous personnel, coupled with wine tasting awaits your visit.
Waterbury, Connecticut
4 attraction reviews
“Was not impressed!”
Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I came in for a wine tasting and the wines were pretty good, however, the customer service was really bad. The woman serving us was having a conversation on the phone during our tasting and was very rude, cold, and unprofessional. It was clear to us that she wanted our money and then to see us out the door. We will not be returning... There are plenty of other vineyards in the area that treat their customers with respect.

3 Thank Dan T
HBVineyard, Manager at Haight-Brown Vineyard, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
We take our customer responses very seriously and are sorry to hear that your experience was not what you would have liked it to be. Constructive feedback is very important to us, so I would like to continue this conversation further. Would you mind sending me an email at haightvineyard@aol.com to let me know a little more about your experience, such as the date of your visit, time of day and the like? I hope to hear from you soon. Thank you.

Waterbury, Connecticut
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great Harvest Fest!!”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Loved the gig! Well put together event with lovely wines, hay rides, live music and wonderful atmosphere!

Visited September 2012
Bristol, Connecticut
“Not what I thought”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Recently attended an event at Haight-Brown vineyard and overall, I was not happy. Poor ownership, dirty facility (especially restrooms), lack of accessiblity for handicap patrons, poor quality wine, and staff was not pleasant with their customers. There are better places around.

Visited October 2012
5 Thank Pamela C
Amy S, Owner at Haight-Brown Vineyard, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
I am so sorry to hear about your experience at the vineyard. Can you share what event you attended so we can provide the feedback to the staff? The more constructive and specific your feedback, we can make the necessary changes to improve.
Plymouth, Connecticut, United States
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Engagement party gone wrong”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

My fiance and I recently had an engagement party at Haight Brown vineyard. First of all, their price to rent a room for a few hours was astromical! When we booked the place, we knew what the cost entailed, and what it did not. One of the employees was on her phone the entire evening and when a group of us wanted to do a wine tasting, she rolled her eyes and said "well, I guess I will have to tell my mother I will be late". She then proceeded to snarkly tell me "this isn't included in the cost you know". WE KNEW THAT. I had many family members fly into town from out of state for this party, we simply wanted to taste wine. My family and friends in attendance were asked to do odd jobs around the vineyard, i.e.-put things away, carry firewood to the fireplace, move things around. This was unacceptable and rude. You do not ask the guests to do this! I will NEVER go back. My fiance and I loved it prior to the engagement party, but we were soured with how poorly we were treated. I pre-bought wine prior to the party. Five extra bottles were apparently opened at the end of the night, and my fiance was forced to pay this fee. The way in which the woman went about asking for the money was disgusting, asking for cash instead of a credit card. First of all, we were put into a room where there were full wine bottles hanging on the walls. How do my guests know which bottles were pre-bought or not? They don't. I suggest that next time people pay an over-priced amount of money on your establishment, you service the place with a waiter so therefore, people do not open your wine bottles that are there freely for the taking. At the end of the night, we were rushed out of there and she again asked my GUESTS to clean. It was unbelievable. I do not suggest that anyone has a party here, ever.

Visited October 2012
9 Thank Bri A
Amy S, Owner at Haight-Brown Vineyard, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Haight-Brown Vineyard did host an engagement party on Friday, October 12th. The event contract included rental of the vineyard from 6 - 9:30 p.m.. In addition, the couple purchased two cases of wine for their guests. A private event manager was scheduled to work the event and be dedicated to the guests needs.

The guests consumed the two cases of wine purchased when vineyard staff became aware they were helping themselves to additional wine thinking no one was looking. The private event manager confronted the couple with regards to the wine that was being taken by guests and suggested their was additional monies due. The couple became irrate at being asked to pay for more wine and denied their guests had taken it.

Lesson learned! Haight Brown Vineyard has several private event spaces and offers a rustic venue for private wine tastings and other special events. Guests that might have had a few too many helped themselves to wine without paying. The couple did not appreciate being confronted and retaliated by writing a nasty review on Trip Advisor.
Seymour, Connecticut
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Old world atmosphere;friendly staff”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Delicious wines to taste and buy.Interesting door...barrel like in appearance. Special tasting room for groups.