“Hidden Elegance”
Review of West Street Grill

West Street Grill
Ranked #1 of 29 Restaurants in Litchfield
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Description: West Street Grill in Litchfield, CT sets the standard for modern American cuisine. Come indulge in beautifully plated dishes with inspired flavors. In the kitchen, each and every dish is executed with stellar culinary experience and delivered with perfection. Fresh ingredients are always used and fresh fish delivered daily. Our Parmesan Aioli Bread, Pate, Cauliflower Tempura, and Soups are among our customer's favorites. We have an extensive list of wines and in 2013 won the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence. Dive into one of our perfectly made martinis or try one of our delectable desserts, they are both sure to be a treat. The owner's at West Street Grill know what it takes to create a warm and attentive experience when you visit their restaurant. At West Street Grill, we anticipate your every need and have trained our staff to do the same with courteous and seamless attention to your experience. They offer an appreciative welcome to all guests, and assure perfect service.
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Perchance checked out West Street Grill when visiting Litchfield. Actually the restaurant had not yet opened but the staff pulled us in from the chill to at least be sheltered from the recent cold front. As a man spoke in small talk that real estate expense goes up in altitude, I could not help to ponder if this was another overprice establishment...

That man, James, is actually the owner and one of the most social and active restaurateur I have met. Not often does a patron get to interact with the restaurant owner, and James was not shy to either inquire about our experience thus far or to regal us with a story about anything and everything.

We soon got the pleasurable impression that James is a very particular curator of his establishment. Everything is with a purpose and does not simply cut corners. Same goes for the staff whom I'm sure are finely pruned by James to his tight standards.

The food was great: light, tasteful and well portioned. I'm sure James' vegetarian background touches every part of the menu, but this is not a place for one to gorge or overfill with heartburn. The warm flavorful banana muffin was... "tender" even with gems of nuts within. The chicken pot pie did not make me consider the typical possible sudden 2500 Calorie intake, but instead was airy and fulfilling (you won't find a thick cream but instead an oil-less broth, think miso soup but again without the oil or fat). The desert of sorbet and ice cream was lip licking but not overly decadent.

Overall, I understand James' claim of the best restaurant in the area. West Street Grill truly is something different from the various other eateries. Perhaps more suited in NYC or Boston, but I'm glad of where it is which allowed me the pleasure of the experience.

Don't let the limited outside decor deter you, as James will ensure a rewarding experience on the inside.

1  Thank 93,157

Reviewed January 17, 2013

We live in Manhattan but were in Litchfield for the weekend with our teenage daughter and stopped in to the West Street Grill for lunch. The atmosphere was warm and inviting, the service good and the food delicious - so much so that we made a reservation for dinner. As he had done at lunch, the owner stopped by our table to chat. At both meals he noticed how much our daughter was enjoying her meal - especially her dessert - and in both cases brought us something extra to try that the pastry chef had just prepared (at no additional charge). At night the restaurant took on an elegant feel, and the service was again excellent. My husband, who has worked for Gourmet Magazine, was also impressed. We look forward to returning on our next visit to Litchfield.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Owners were high class "wannabes"! Authentic VIP's want value for the money! Bland steak and slightly dry duck push me and my own back to the Big Apple to tickle the palate. The cheesecake was awesome though! Better than the Factory!

3  Thank Technopoet
Reviewed January 2, 2013

The hubby and I have been going to this restaurant for about ten years. It’s about an hour drive from where we used to live and we love Litchfield’s Old Town Charm. I’m def. a fan of the lunch menu over the dinner menu, as their Black Angus Burger is one of the most amazing burgers I’ve ever had in my life. All the ingredients are local or made in house. We’ve never had an experience with an unpleasant waiter and they have good wines that complement our dining experience. Last week, we took my mom up for the first time and she fell in love with the place. The friendly owner brought us a free vegan dessert to share.

Reviewed December 10, 2012

After a number of years one might expect that the restaurant might "slack off" but not so here. Just visited on a mildly busy Friday night and the food was again,delicious.(Have been here many times, and found food to have always been excellent) The offerings are kept interesting both for appetizers as well as for main courses; the presentation is fresh, inventive, healthy, and delicious. We chose cauliflower tempura, a cold crab salad, pan seared scallops accompanied by an assortment of interesting vegetables/purees/herbs, and a fantastically fresh standby of salmon..the menu has many options, from hearty but elegant short ribs, to lighter vegetarian fare. Have tried many menu items over the years, and all were winners. Delicious! Highly recommend.
We DID have one disappointing experience which was that they did not offer a complimentary replacement to a bad bottle of $75 wine...one would think after being customers here for years, they would have enough sense to offer a complimentary bottle on our next visit-we have found they just tend to miss the "excellent" level of customer service. The servers range from wonderfully friendly and not overbearing, to over the top "fake". But what can you do-we are willing to overlook that shortcoming, and continue to enjoy the wonderful food. Definitely recommend .