“Awesome” 5 of 5 bubbles

Tollgate Hill Inn and Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 2 Litchfield B&B and Inns
“Awesome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

Spent two nights at the Tollgate Hill Inn in a beautiful old room. Had business in Litchfield so took room 9 in the old schoolhouse. Office and main building are cozy. Staff is sparse but helpful and knowledgeable about the local attractions. Checked in on a cold night, made a roaring fire and slept like a baby. Grounds are quiet. Breakfast in the main building is typical fare. Definitely worth a repeat stay for the historic buildings and cozy ambiance.

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank Snacksamillion

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Merton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

On first arriving at the Tollgate Inn we were pleased at it's old world New England charm. The reception area was welcoming and we felt happy with our choice. However after that we discovered that the reception area was the only room that was pleasant and clean.
We were shown to our room up a set of stairs with a filthy, thread bare carpet. The room was grubby, down at heal and with poor maintenance. I was alarmed to see an electrical socket next to the hand basin. The whole place is unkempt and poorly maintained. I kept seeing dirty beer & wine glasses left on window sills, outside in the seating area. Unfortunately we handed over our credit card for payment before we saw the room, My advice would be insist on seeing the room before you hand over cash or card. Breakfast was continental which is fine but I do expect bread, rolls etc not to be left in their plastic supermarket bags. Again table clothes looked grey not white, many with holes all giving the air of decrepitude.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JanJer12

Travelers are raving about these Litchfield hotels

Rock Hill, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

The inn is set in a wooded area with three primary buildings. The grounds are nice with a restaurant and bar on-site. The rooms were large and clean. At $200.00 a night, the rooms need a little updating - flat screen TV's with HD. Litchfield is nearby with shops and food.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

I love old farm houses, inns, etc. It's the quirky uniqueness that I prefer - rather than prefab, plastic new. So, that being said I recently stayed for a week at Tollgate. Imho it was awesome; just what I would have hoped for in an intimate, romantic, colonial getaway. My room (suite really, it was two rooms and tiny window alcove) was secluded, up a small set of stairs with it's own little hallway. Antique lampost outside with parking space away from other cars. Completely cozy - and exactly what I wanted. But keep in mind - if you're looking for shiny white plastic, you won't find it here. More like antiques, poster beds, posh and pampering. Felt like I was family.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank RoganL
Fairfax Station, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

Booked room 10 in the schoolhouse building. One ancient window air conditioner for two upstairs rooms was totally inadequate - even after the sun went down. Room was discounted to $115 / night but bill came to $293.25 for two night stay. Discussion with owner revealed that daily tax was $17 and we were only charged one night for our small dog ($25.00). Owner's unwillingness to refund any of the charges after we explained what a miserable room (stuffing coming out of couch - bedframe extending beyond the bed to cause a hazard, etc.) persuaded us to never stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
New Preston, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

I was buying a property in Litchfield County and needed somewhere to call home for 5 weeks. I was fortunate to find a home at the historic Tollgate Hill Inn. I had a wonderful Junior Suite complete with four poster bed, comfortable couches, and a roaring fireplace ... I was cared for as though I was a much-loved member of their family. The comfort and kindness I received whilst there made my stay -- in what could have been a lonely, cold experience -- a warm welcome home to return to every evening. I stayed in the main house, because I prefer larger rooms, and would highly recommend any one of the Junior Suites, or Deluxe Rooms at the Inn. I highly recommend this lovely Inn.

Room Tip: The Corner suites are large, bright and sunny with direct outside access without going through the l...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Glynis A
Danbury, Connecticut
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

I took my girlfriend to Tollgate Hill Inn last weekend for her birthday. I figured I'd spend a little extra money than usual hoping to get my extra dollar's worth. I would have been better off at a Holiday Inn. We stayed in Suite #21 in the Captain William Bull House. I'll let the pictures do the talking but in short; the room was dirty, burn marks from stray embers littered the floor in front of the fire place, room smelled of smoke, bathroom dingy, all the appliances including the TV and cable box were unplugged upon arrival and while they were booting up, I missed the first quarter of the Knicks vs. Celtics game, holes in walls, rips in furniture, weird stuff all over the bed, continental breakfast was lame and out of food, the fridge leaked and the woman that was at the counter when we checked out was very rude. I was extremely disappointed in our stay. Thankfully, we also spent some extra money at the liquor store and had an excellent time in each other's company (my self and my girlfriend, that is).

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Alex K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Litchfield
Litchfield Inn
#1 of 4 in Torrington
The Amselhaus
The Amselhaus
#1 of 1 in Cornwall Bridge

Been to Tollgate Hill Inn and Restaurant? Share your experiences!