“Lack of compasion!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Lisbon B&B and Inns
Penfield, New York
“Lack of compasion!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

My husband and I had stayed here a few years ago and were very pleased, Therefor, this past July we made reservations for the weekend of the 19th.to attend a family wedding in the area. Then on July 14th my husband had a significant stroke. I called the next day to cancel stating the reason. We were shocked to later have our credit card still charged $300.00+! When I called, Ruth was actually rude, stating "I run a business!" She had 4 days notice and I have no doubt she was not able to fill the room. My husband was hospitalized for a month and is still in physical therapy. I would have placed this review sooner, but my days are very full. Our lives have completely changed, but family and friends have been so supportive. I believe an important part of running a business is having compassion and understanding of others situations. The Lonesome Dove lacks that. As difficult as it is to find lodging in that area, we will never return to the Lonesome Dove.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Lynette B

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

My Husband and I went there on our 3rd Wedding Anniversary, and We loved it!!
Ruth and Leo MacDonald where the perfect Host!! Made us feel at home!!
Such a pretty place in the fall, wonder what Winter looks like, Might have to make a trip!!

If you are looking for a quite place to relax, this place is PERFECT!!!

Thank you again Ruth and Leo for a GREAT TIME!!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NancieMD
Reggio Emilia, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Small house in the small town of Lisbon, on the edge of the forest. You are staying in a small apartment adjoining to the main house.
The rooms are very comfortable, and bathrooms are complete with anything that might serve.
Spirits, wine and chocolate high quality are free.
The breakfast is excellent, served excellent freshly baked muffins, blueberry or plain pancakes, eggs cooked in various ways.
Surely one of the best breakfasts ever enjoyed in the U.S.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Myself, my wife and our two teenage kids, 16 and 13, stayed at the Lonesome Dove on our two weeks holiday to the States. Everything good that has been said before is all absolutely true. I have never stayed anywhere in the world where I have felt so at home so quickly. Ruth and Leo are the nicest people I have ever stayed with. The rooms were fabulous. We had the suite and the kids had the Lily room. Alright, the décor may not be Soho boutique hotel but that’s a good thing. What you get is a slice of real America. The breakfasts are amazing, I fell in love with the French toast and pancakes and I am now in maple syrup rehab! The situation is amazing, beautiful woodland and nearby pond, with resident Heron. There are even wild turkeys roaming about. Nearby Mystic and Stonington are lovely and there are plenty of great places for to visit and eat at. We were genuinely sad at leaving and we will be returning as soon as possible. If you want to see real America, not the Disney version, stay here.

Room Tip: All are great but the suite has a little balcony overlooking the woods and a spa bath. Oh and a mass...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Ashbourne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Stayed here for one night en route from New Jersey to Cape Cod. Needed a small detour but worth every minute and anything that gets you off Route 95 can only be good! Once away from the main roads you are immediately immersed in what Connecticut is all about and it really is worth discovering. The 'Lonesome Dove' itself is tucked peacefully away from the road in its own heavily wooded and beautifully maintained grounds where the owners have created a bird watchers paradise. The welcome from the hostess, Ruth, was second to none and she really couldn't have been more pleasant and helpful throughout our short stay. The three guest rooms appear quite adjacent to each other but are very spacious and comfortable with no intrusiveness in terms of noise. The place is steeped in old world charm and if you're desperate for TV in your room then it's not for you. Wifi however is available throughout the property, everything in terms of other facilities - including breakfast - is as it should be and, in our opinion, the only thing that let it down slightly was the lack of adequate curtains. Won't bother everyone, but for us - in late June at least - this meant a room that was very difficult to sleep in from well before five a.m. This aside the 'Lonesome Dove' represents all that is good about quality B&B and we would certainly visit again, possibly during autumn or winter when it must be particularly beautiful, but at the height of summer remember to take an eye mask.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
Bay Shore, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I just spent 2 nights here...Its so pretty - great hostess and owner Ruth gave much attention to detail..helped a lot with attractions. Its so clean , comfy and accomodating. BIG breakfast I had eggs,bacon,blue berry pancakes juice coffee and of course a helping of fresh fruit and yogurt....You will love this place..close to Mystic, Mohegan sun, Stonington, and New London..lots to do..I will definately come back...I had the suite , big bed soooo comfy , terrace and whirlpool bath....
try it...youll like it......

Room Tip: all 3 rooms are great but for a few dollars more ask for the SUITE, which I described above.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

Great Inn! Ruth and Leo, who owns the inn are wonderful couple. They were extra kind and helpful. They made us felt like at home! The place is very beautiful, the rooms are lovely and Lisbon is a beautiful small town that helps to get the feeling of the state. The breakfast was great and we had a lovely time there. We felt sorry we only had one night. Can't wait to come back again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lisbon
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Griswold
The Norwich Hotel
The Norwich Hotel
#3 of 5 in Norwich
3.5 of 5 stars 406 reviews

Been to Lonesome Dove Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!