“Poor service”

Ranked #5 of 13 Restaurants in Lakeville
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 20, 2013

On September 7, 2013 I was a guest at a rehearsal dinner at the Boathouse. The service was extremely slow and the restaurant did not allow any deviations from the printed special menu. For example, I wanted tea instead of coffee and was told I could not have it. Since they were so unaccommodating, I would not recommend this restaurant for any function.

1  Thank Jed A

Reviewed September 17, 2013

atmosphere lovely
parking adequate
food was very good.
price medium to average pricey.
service quite good.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

On September 7, 2013 my daughter and her fiancee booked the Boathouse for a dinner for 55 people the night before their wedding. The reason we had chosen the Boathouse was because on two prior occasions we had eaten at the restaurant and found the food quite good and the service quite professional. However, we were extremely disappointed in the restaurant and the service for our private party. When our guests arrived, they had a menu for three dinner options. The first thing that we noted which was absolutely appalling was that the restaurant put the price per person on the bottom of the menu sheet! Why in the world would a restaurant make a party and embarrass the host and hostess? You knew that we were paying for the rehearsal dinner and yet your restaurant placed the price on the handout menu. This was quite embarrassing to the host and hostess.
In addition,there were only two servers for 55 people thereby making the service extremely slow and having drink orders taking an inordinate amount of time.
To make matters worse, when some guests asked that there be slight modifications to their choice for dinner such as asking for the cheese or the bacon removed from their sandwich the server told them that there were "no deviations" or "modifications." to the menu.
It's not as if they asked for a steak instead of a hamburger! Actually, you would have saved money by leaving off the cheese or the bacon! One guest asked that her four year son have chicken fingers, instead of what was offered. Children's meals are offered on the regular menu and it's cheaper than what was offered, but the girl who served her again gave her a very hard time, even when the mother offered to pay for the meal! The four year old finally got his children's meal, but the attitude on the part of the server was totally uncalled for. The Boathouse still charged for the original dinner and got paid for the kid's meal on top of that!
The incident that really put the Boathouse in my hall of shame was the fact that coffee and soda were listed on this printed menu. My daughter didn't anticipate that tea would not be an acceptable altenative to coffee but, again, the servers refused to provide tea! The male server finally got someone hot water and was going back to get the tea bag when the female server stopped him and started talking to him. Needless to say, he never brought that teabag! I've never been to a restaurant that wouldn't serve tea as well as coffee, especially when the restaurant offers tea on the regular menu. What kind of customer service does the Boathouse want to convey to the public? A good reputation should be a priority in the restaurant business. Based upon our experience This should have been the beginning of a joyous weekend for us, and the Boathouse put such a damper on it for us. Thank goodness the venue we picked for the wedding helped to make up for the horrible customer service we experienced at the Boathouse. I would tell people not to book a party there unless you change the service and attitude about customer satisfaction.

2  Thank mikkala
Reviewed September 1, 2013

The "lump crab" cakes almost made me misty eyed as I was struck by the memory when mom would heat up Mrs.Paul's crab cakes and fish sticks. But then it immediately came to mind that these cold in the middle, pasty consistency without a lump of anything to be found. I very nicely asked the nice young man who waited on me to ask why the perfectly circular, tepid/cold roundels on my plate had no sign of lump crab as advertised and whether they were made there or frozen. He very nicely said they were made there and that they mince the lump crab to shape it more easily. Kind of like grinding a cut of fine beef filet so each portion is perfectly round. The young man comped the meal but I tipped him on the full price. He seemed very surprised that I was pleasant about it all. I explained that it was not his fault he had to deliver a gross main course. By the way, the two pasty patties would have been $22.00. I have not priced Gortons or Mrs. Paul's, but I'll bet $22 would buy several boxes. People who were drinking seemed to be having a nice time. I don't drink so I will find another place when I go to the races at Lime Rock Park.

1  Thank Tom71R60
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We very much enjoyed our recent visit to The Boathouse. Very low key, nice atmosphere and nice service.
We ordered the salmon, very good! Also, a half rack of delicious ribs. We could only eat part of the ribs, great leftovers the next night.
Sweet potatoes and veggies were perfect.
Parking is not an issue.
Prompt and good value.