“Cute but disappointing”

Good for: Kids, Families with children, Bar scene
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
“Cute but disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

This place is very nice inside and has an interesting menu, with specials featuring locally grown fruits and vegetables, meats and cheeses, The regular menu has a good variety - maybe too many choices and all not well executed.
We shared an appetizer of home-made potato chips. These were very good and not oily as these can tend to be. We had them plain but you could also have them with shaved parmesan and truffle oil and other toppings. So that was a good start.
The entree I ordered - crab cakes - had too much bread and very little crab and not a lot of flavor. They were a disappointment. They were served with eggplant fries which were tasty and different but a bit greasy.
The service was okay, but ended up below average as we had to wait a very long time for the check and credit card to be picked up. And the server did not give an explanation or an apology for the long wait at all.
Perhaps I was expecting more as this area is full of tourists and visitors from New York City and I thought the restaurant would be better given the prices. But perhaps the visitors relax their standards a bit, and that is ok too.

• Visited August 2013

copake
“comfortable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

This restaurant keeps a small menu and a few specials daily.The food is really good and the atmosphere is great.A real comfortable area to sit and many seats at the bar.Just a nice clean well run restaurant.I have been there a number of times a always been pleased.

• Visited July 2013
Wassaic, New York
“Very good but pricey!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

My friend and I came here by accident one night. We were heading to a friend's and were going to stop at the Chinese restaurant but they were closed down. We didn't want to go to the Boathouse because my friend had a bad experience there so we drove a little further up the road to the pizza place. As we got to the pizza place we saw the Black Rabbit. We looked at each other and said first lets check out their menu. We looked at their menu and saw that it was pricey but they did have burgers so we decided to try a couple of them.
It was a beautiful spring evening, warm but with a nice breeze so we sat outside. It is a small patio and I wish they would not allow smoking on it. You can't enjoy your food with cigarette smoke blowing in your face. The culprits left as we were ordering. We would have left if it continued to be a problem. We also had some great music that was being played by 2 guys playing guitar set up in front of the place next door. That was nice.
I had the Works burger that had bacon, caramelized onion, sautéed mushrooms and cheddar.($13) All of my favorites on a burger! It was on a warm buttery brioche roll. It was cooked perfect and juicy. The burger was small and round as was the bun. I have had 1/2 lb burgers before and they are always much bigger. I had the homemade chips with it and they were good.
My friend had the Blackened Bleu burger($11). It was supposed to be blackened seasoned beef w/bleu cheese. The burger was cooked perfectly and was juicy too. But I think its a waste to make the burger blackened and spicy and then put bleu cheese on it. Both seasonings are great on their own but the bleu cheese takes over the flavor on this burger. My friend and I split the burgers and we decided we liked the Works best. The coleslaw was very good too!
Our waitress ended up being a mutual friend of my friend. She was very good and attentive. I'm sorry but I cannot remember her name but it was kind of exotic sounding.
It is a nice place but a little pricey for my pocketbook. I have never paid so much for burgers before but I am sure they get the weekend (NYC)crowd and will do well.
The food is pretty good but I'm not sure if I'll be back because of the prices. We'll see.

• Visited May 2013
Dover Plains, New York
“OMG! What a great find!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

This place is fantastic! We shared a JUMBO shrimp cocktail appetizer, cooked to perfection with the best cocktail sauce I ever had, perfect. Then had lobster roll with coleslaw and eggplant fries. Each thing was better than the next AND soooi fresh. We are definitely coming back. Kate, our seever, was delightful and spot on with the service.

• Visited June 2013
Wallingford, Connecticut
“Great, upscale pub!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

Referred here b,y friends... great experience. Great place to ride he motorcycle to, although we were rained in here. Food was fabulous, and owners Corey and Kendra were extremely friendly and courteous. We had soft shell crab sandwich, and lobster roll, as well as dessert and drinks, and were very happy with our food and service. We would highly recommend Black Rabbit, and will definitely return when we are in the area.

• Visited June 2013