“Was unexpectedly good”

Ranked #2 of 16 Restaurants in Kent
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed March 30, 2010

Ended up there by accident after one of our favorites, The Woodland, was closed. Was a little more expensive then we planned. For appetizers we chose a wild mushroom risotto which was delicious! We chose a caesar salad for two made prepared tableside, a nice tasty treat. Dinner was a veal bolognese with papardelle,other dishes at table were a bocatini pasta with clams and white wine and a roasted chicken (deboned) with mashed potatoes and green beans. Dessert was a roasted pineapple cheesecake which was good but had "refrigerator taste" (the butter did too), brownie sundae and molten choc cake. With three drinks, and food bill was $162 without tip. Not bad, not good. We would go here again if our travels led us there. we enjoyed the rustic, classy, old feel of the restaurant. Waitstaff was very effective and attentive. Our waiter spoke poor english which wouldn't have been too challenging had it talked with a louder voice.

2  Thank redheadMA

Reviewed August 3, 2009

I took a friend to lunch on August 1st (09) at the Fife & Drum. It was supposed to be a treat. 35 minutes after ordering, I got up and went in search of our waitress--found her sitting at the bar. When I asked after the whereabouts of our food, the other staff jumped in and told her to go check with the kitchen. Some 7 or 8 minutes later, one of the other waitstaff brought our food. A minute or two after that, the owner presented himself--to give me a hard time and to question the actual length of our wait. That's a whole new level of arrogance in a business that is customer-dependent. I couldn't possibly recommend this restaurant--despite its good food. No one in his/her right mind wants to be ignored by the classical ("It's her first day on the job") self-defensive rubbish and expected to sit placidly and wait indefinitely for expensive food. This used to be a good restaurant with almost a monopoly on dining in Kent. Not any more. Stay away!

4  Thank CtCannuck
Reviewed June 21, 2009

was visiting my son at the boarding school, took him and his friends to dinner. Was directed to the back room, when ask about seating upfront, I was told there were no room but clearly there were empty tables. The old man - owner saw us at the back and move us upfront. the old man was very nice. I have never seen prejudice until I came to Fife n Drum restaurant. I have been to Kent town multiple times and never felt racism before. I got an apology and was told we did not have a reservation so we had to seat at the back room. Beware.......

4  Thank Kent2009
Reviewed May 23, 2009

While visiting our children at the local boarding school, we decided to take them and their friends to dinner at the Fife 'n Drum. Meals there have been more or less acceptable in the past, albeit pricey. It is also a VERY NOISY restaurant, so if you are looking for a romantic dinner, this is not the place. On this particular night, our meals could not arrive quickly enough as our teenage son was starving. Service was painfully slow and even slower still waiting for our meals to arrive. Once they finally did, my son's medium-well filet was closer to raw. It took forever to stop a server to take the filet back to the kitchen, longer still to get another dish served to him -- one in which the steak was even rarer than the one before it! It was pretty much inedible, but we had given up on believing the Fife 'n Drum could get it right. In the end, we had the cost of the meal deducted from our check, but left with a child still raging with hunger. It was quite a disappointing evening.

Reviewed April 2, 2009

I went there for dinner and ordered the Penne. My ten year old niece can boil water and make pasta. Apparently the chef at this place is not as knowledgable. The penne was overcooked and like mush. The sauce was flavorless. Go to Bulls Bridge up the road, owned by the same people as Chuck's I hear. MUCH better.

Been to Fife 'n Drum Restaurant? Share your experiences!