“Awesome food and atmosphere”

Fife 'n Drum Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 14 Restaurants in Kent
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
West Simsbury, Connecticut, United States
“Awesome food and atmosphere”
Reviewed June 24, 2012

We can recommend the skirt steak and the chicken! The restaurant was clean and the piano music was wonderful.

Visited June 2012

CT
“Disappointed”
Reviewed June 22, 2012

We went for a late lunch while visiting our niece at Kent School. We arrived at the restaurant around 2:00 so it wasn't crowded and were very disappointed to be seated next to the kitchen. There were plenty of empty booths and tables next to windows but we were placed in a spot as though we were the hired help. Secondly, the food was extraordinarly expensive and very average tasting. Seems as though they charge a lot since they know they get a lot of out-of-towners visiting the prep-school kids and seeing the Berkshires. I wouldn't go back again.

• Visited October 2011
Cologne, Germany
“Friendly service, great atmosphere”
Reviewed April 19, 2012

We met some friends here and had a wonderful meal. Got to talk with the owner's daughter (whose husband was playing background music). Shared an appetizer of the biggest mussels I have ever seen. And the duck for the main course was perfect. I like to cook but avoid duck because it is so difficult. This was wonderful. I don't understand the bad reviews because we had a great time.

• Visited March 2012
Venice, Italy
“Hail, Caesar Salad”
Reviewed March 23, 2012

I enjoyed a relaxing dinner with family members at the Fife n' Drum restaurant in Kent. We were warmly greeted by several of the waiters who allowed use to sit where we wanted. F&D's offers a dark warm atmosphere with candlelit, table clothed tables. Chairs are placed somewhat too close to one another, however booth seating was also available. The waiters were most gracious and provide excellent attentive service throughout our meal. The waitstaff brought a marker board highlighting the daily specials.

We started our meal with the table side prepared Caesar Salad which was properly made and extremely flavorful. It's so nice to find a restaurant that still makes a great Caesar Salad. The salad was expensive, but worth it. Another family member ordered the wedge of lettuce with Jumbo Shrimp which he enjoyed.

According to my dining guests, Fife n' Drum is known for having excellent duck, flambeed table side. My portion was huge (ducks in Europe must be much smaller) and was topped with an orange glaze sauce. I would have preferred to omit the sauce so I could enjoy the crispy duck skin/fat. The duck was served on top of a bed of white rice with green beans and carrots. This method of presentation made it difficult to not make a mess when cutting pieces of duck from the bone. The overall flavor was tasty. Another guest ordered the Lamb Shank while another guest enjoyed a roast chicken entree.

The Fife N' Drum is expensive with out meal totaling over $200.00 (with two cocktails and two glasses of wine, plus gratuity.) In my opinion F&D is most suitable for romantic dinners with someone special or to celebrate special occasions.

• Visited March 2012
Monterey, MA
“Wonderfully located, great atmosphere, good food, OK service”
Reviewed March 22, 2012

My wife and I have been to Fife N Drum restaurant (which sits directly on Rte. 7 in Kent, in the northwest corner of CT) a number of times over the past five years; and our most recent visit (with friends from the CT suburbs of NYC) was on February 24, 2012. Its location is perfect for folks living in the Berkshires wishing to get together with friends living in NYC's northern suburbs or for anyone visiting beautiful northwestern CT. By pure coincidence, several of our visits have been on cold rainy or snowy evenings; and coming into the restaurant from the raw weather outside is a very pleasurable and memorable experience -- lots of wood paneling, fireplaces ablaze, a vaguely colonial setting, and comfortable seating. A broad menu, a reasonable wine selection, expensive but not crazy prices. My wife and I had the duck which was pretty good (crispy); one friend had the scallops which were sweet and perfectly cooked (crispy on the outside, pink on the inside); and her spouse had the lamb shank which I must assume was delicious since he gobbled it down in record time and looked very happy (as did the lamb shank itself until it disappeared). Our friends started with a shared Caesar salad that was prepared tableside and was absolutely outstanding (yes, I tasted it myself). Our friends shared a fruit crumble for dessert which they reported to be mediocre. One of them had red wine (a Syrah) with dinner and was very satisfied with both the taste and the price. His spouse's cocktail order was completely botched. The wait staff ranged from truly excellent to mediocre: our table gave us a view of much of the main dining area and thus we could actually watch really excellent service and really poor service occurring around us; indeed, since we spent a very leisurely two hours there, we ourselves had both types of service over the course of the evening; but we were so relaxed and happy it didn't matter much to us. Other diners were not so forgiving. It pains me deeply to have to comment on the live music since the individual providing it was obviously working very hard to add to the restaurant's ambiance: the results were not positive. The restaurant welcomes families with children; if you want to avoid the hubbub of small children, just arrive a little later. Overall, with all the plusses and some minuses, we continue to return -- the location can't be beat -- and with only a little luck you will have a fine meal in a very pleasant atmosphere

• Visited February 2012